PDA

View Full Version : 26ZX step hull question

The Hedgehog
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I was wondering when they changed the basic 26ZX hull. I think that they moved the step around or something like that in 2001. I also know that they put in a notch in some of the later hulls.

I was told of some odd handling characteristics on the 26ZX hull at higher speeds. So far mine rides like it is on rails to 87. I will know more in a day or so as it gets tuned for higher speeds. Eddie found it kind of hard to ride in the floor with a laptop in his lap running high 80's in a rough lake

I have been talking to a guy in England that is running a later model with a higher X. His gets out of hand at anything over 80 and he needed 30" planes to make it to 88. I think he is getting prop slap with his high X. I am using stock Bennets and have yet to drop them.

I was using a cut down 30" Bravo last weekend. The boat was way under propped but still ran rock steady at 85.

I have heard of the hull being taken to 105 but I heard it was pretty ugly. I have no desire to go there.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Bill, At this point don't worry about England. His does not handle. Start your own deal. Maybe you are going to help him out. Different props etc. The had a English Honda outboard race bot here for about a year, and we helped them out. Just work up slow. I sent you back the PM.

The Hedgehog
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Bill, At this point don't worry about England. His does not handle. Start your own deal. Maybe you are going to help him out. Different props etc. The had a English Honda outboard race bot here for about a year, and we helped them out. Just work up slow. I sent you back the PM.

Thanks Griz.

I suggested that the Bravo-I and high x might be a bad idea. I mentioned that I would first play with props. When he went out and did an extension box instead I continued to do my own homework. I suggested that he come here for advice. He is a nice guy but oh well.

I will continue working up slow. Thanks Griz

BigGrizzly
07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Bill, I am sure if your friend does show up on the board at the very least we can share experiences. Besides as strange as it may seem we could learn something from him. When I was racing in England the people there were really good to me they even helped me race against their own racers. Try that here!:eek!:

Last Real Texan
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX it's all about the X dimention, I think this is playing a huge part in your boat running out true and straight, you still have enough drive in the water for the prop to take a good bite and prevent some prop slap thus creating some unwanted ride characteristics. Good move staying witht the -0 on the IMCO lower and in addition saving the mid-range throttle cruise and not to mention the slingshot acceleration that you have.
The 32 will be the ticket and it is looking like you will be able to run fast and true in the smooth, and when the time comes you can add the big K-plane style tabs when a good deal comes your way, and hammer on it in the rough stuff.
As to the hull change I am almost positive that the hull was the same until 2001 model. The reason I think this is the 28 ZX hull was changed in 2000 model and the bottom characterstics were transfered over to the 26 ZX from that model. What I am thinking is they tried some stuff on the 28 and what worked they used and what did not they scrapped. I am pretty sure 2001 was the first year oif the notched transom ......not sure just guessing here. I am confidant that you have the first generation 26 zx hull with it's running surface taken from the early 28 ZX twin steps, Does any of this make sense? I am sure Mr X will know for sure.
Again Bill; Fantastic job to date on this project! you should be proud for sure. I do have to say that this build has re-inspired me to get another project going, what it will be I am not sure yet, some things that come to mind are my current motor transfered over to a 27 ZR if I can find the right one or.....over the winter build a monster 572 Whipple motor to the tune of 900-1000 hp and see what the 27 ZX can handle with an ASD-7, who knows only time will tell.
Enjoy the speed it is the :smileybo:'s on the fun-o-meter !
Congrats

LKSD
07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
My 26zx had a very high x. It didnt handle too bad, it just wouldnt let the props hold well at all at any speed after installing the blower. Mine is an 06.. I lowered the x 1.5 & the props grab better but handling is still good. One other thing though is that depending on the prop you run it can also affect handling. Size, pitch, rake & ammount of blades do make a difference. :) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX it's all about the X dimention, I think this is playing a huge part in your boat running out true and straight, you still have enough drive in the water for the prop to take a good bite and prevent some prop slap thus creating some unwanted ride characteristics. Good move staying witht the -0 on the IMCO lower and in addition saving the mid-range throttle cruise and not to mention the slingshot acceleration that you have.
The 32 will be the ticket and it is looking like you will be able to run fast and true in the smooth, and when the time comes you can add the big K-plane style tabs when a good deal comes your way, and hammer on it in the rough stuff.
As to the hull change I am almost positive that the hull was the same until 2001 model. The reason I think this is the 28 ZX hull was changed in 2000 model and the bottom characterstics were transfered over to the 26 ZX from that model. What I am thinking is they tried some stuff on the 28 and what worked they used and what did not they scrapped. I am pretty sure 2001 was the first year oif the notched transom ......not sure just guessing here. I am confidant that you have the first generation 26 zx hull with it's running surface taken from the early 28 ZX twin steps, Does any of this make sense? I am sure Mr X will know for sure.
Again Bill; Fantastic job to date on this project! you should be proud for sure. I do have to say that this build has re-inspired me to get another project going, what it will be I am not sure yet, some things that come to mind are my current motor transfered over to a 27 ZR if I can find the right one or.....over the winter build a monster 572 Whipple motor to the tune of 900-1000 hp and see what the 27 ZX can handle with an ASD-7, who knows only time will tell.
Enjoy the speed it is the :smileybo:'s on the fun-o-meter !
Congrats

I do know one thing and that is that you will pull something off that has most folks either shaking their heads or scratching their heads.

I like the idea of you keeping the 27ZX.

When I saw the guy in the Fountain with twins come run you down I knew what was going to happen. He had a few folks in his boat and probably said "watch this." When you let him run with you to the low 70's and then dusted him off with Carter in your lap, the look on his face had to be priceless.

You like projects, I could see some big things happening this winter. I can see you and Sam on the dyno with a big tall deck

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 08:15 AM
My 26zx had a very high x. It didnt handle too bad, it just wouldnt let the props hold well at all at any speed after installing the blower. Mine is an 06.. I lowered the x 1.5 & the props grab better but handling is still good. One other thing though is that depending on the prop you run it can also affect handling. Size, pitch, rake & ammount of blades do make a difference. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Hey Jamie,

I totally agree on the prop statement.

If you get the chance could you shoot a picture of your transom. I was curious about your notch. I am not planning to cut one in or anything, I just like to know how other designs are implemented.

BigGrizzly
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Hedg, forget the darn notch, you getting too much on your mind. You darn kids always got too much on your plate. What do you think, should I do this?

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Hedg, forget the darn notch, you getting too much on your mind. You darn kids always got too much on your plate. What do you think, should I do this?

Don't worry, I have no intention of cutting a notch into my hull. My hands are plenty full with my current situation. It is a curiosity thing.

That beast needs to go in somebody's boat that you know so we can see what it does!

BigGrizzly
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
That is one of Garry's 900 series motors. They go into a lot of twin applications. These babies actually idle really well.

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
That is one of Garry's 900 series motors. They go into a lot of twin applications. These babies actually idle really well.

That thing is a horse. It looks like he uses some good hardware. I love the look of big roots motors.

The Hedgehog
07-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Still tying up loose ends. Another round of tuning and I should be able to go for it. It is still kind of fat up top. The thin air on a 95 degree day makes a difference. We are adding a puke tank and a few other goodies.

It is nice to have a 65 mph cruise. It runs to 85 like a train with a good bit left.

LKSD
07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey Jamie,
I totally agree on the prop statement.
If you get the chance could you shoot a picture of your transom. I was curious about your notch. I am not planning to cut one in or anything, I just like to know how other designs are implemented.

Sorry I missed this post. I will snap a pic when I get over in that side of my shop next time.. :D Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry I missed this post. I will snap a pic when I get over in that side of my shop next time.. :D Jamie / Lakeside

Thanks Jamie

Last Real Texan
07-18-2008, 02:04 PM
From OSO ...an old post from Frank Civitano....
My freind had one with the 454Mag she will run between 58-60 mph. I had a 502 in my 2001 26 ZX and she ran 65mph tops.. I sometimes would squeeze 67mph but that was rare, the bottom paint will slow you down about 2mph so I would find away to get it off without damaging the bottom. Yes the 26 ZX is a good running rough water boat for her size sometimes a little boaring if the water has no chop: But I am a speed freak anyway. Hey I had a 22ZX that ran 85MPH so going to 65MPH was hard for me until last year when I pulled the engine and drive out and had a 500/Merc built to 640HP and put on a Imco Extreme drive went from a 24Pitch prop to a 30Pitch.. My top speed is now 78GPS with no fuel and just me running I will get 81, the nice thing about pre- 2003 the 26ZX did not have a pad so the boat has no chine walk. The 26 ZX did so well that Donzi re-made the 28ZX in 2001 on the 26 Platform. Good luck with your purchase she is a great running boat.

The Hedgehog
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
From OSO ...an old post from Frank Civitano....
My freind had one with the 454Mag she will run between 58-60 mph. I had a 502 in my 2001 26 ZX and she ran 65mph tops.. I sometimes would squeeze 67mph but that was rare, the bottom paint will slow you down about 2mph so I would find away to get it off without damaging the bottom. Yes the 26 ZX is a good running rough water boat for her size sometimes a little boaring if the water has no chop: But I am a speed freak anyway. Hey I had a 22ZX that ran 85MPH so going to 65MPH was hard for me until last year when I pulled the engine and drive out and had a 500/Merc built to 640HP and put on a Imco Extreme drive went from a 24Pitch prop to a 30Pitch.. My top speed is now 78GPS with no fuel and just me running I will get 81, the nice thing about pre- 2003 the 26ZX did not have a pad so the boat has no chine walk. The 26 ZX did so well that Donzi re-made the 28ZX in 2001 on the 26 Platform. Good luck with your purchase she is a great running boat.

Hmm. My 1999 has a small keel pad. I wonder what kind of pad they did in 03?

I just got back from an 85 mph run so I feel extra special.

LKSD
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Here ya go Bill.. Sorry it took me a few days, but I have been insanely busy & we had several electrical storms. I has caused me to need 2 new computers.:shocking: I have been using my laptop that is almost as old as a fossil, or so it seems to access stuff for the last day or 2 now.. I hope my new comps from dell will be in soon.. :smash:... Anyway here are some pics of the transom & notch on my 26zx (2006). I also placed a 1.5" spacer in my drive to get more prop bite.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
07-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks a bunch Jamie.

It basically looks like mine with a notch.

Have you tried an IMCO lower? I have heard of folks having more blowout with stock Bravo's than IMCOs. I have a friend that switched and kept the same drive height and it hooked up better.

LKSD
07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks a bunch Jamie.
It basically looks like mine with a notch.
Have you tried an IMCO lower? I have heard of folks having more blowout with stock Bravo's than IMCOs. I have a friend that switched and kept the same drive height and it hooked up better.

No problem.

As far as the imco, no I havent run one because my x dim was quite high.. Thats why the spacer. I may try a cone though sometime for $hits & giggles to see if I gain anything on top.. :) Jamie

The Hedgehog
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
No problem.
As far as the imco, no I havent run one because my x dim was quite high.. Thats why the spacer. I may try a cone though sometime for $hits & giggles to see if I gain anything on top.. :) Jamie

Yes, I was talking about standard length. Always good to try if anyone has one laying around.

Heck, I would not want my X any higher. It takes plenty to push it up on a plane with a 32 as it. I don't need any more slip.