PDA

View Full Version : need help

zedohsix
07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
there is a tap on the front of the engine, when open it allows water to flow out of the block, there appears to be a housing under the block which is cracked, higher the rpm the more water leeks out, does anyone know what this system is and were I can get a replacement, of coarse its in a 16 with a transplanted 350, is there a easy way to get at it? thanks
:canada:

GeneD
07-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Is it on the left hand side of the motor?

mrfixxall
07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Is it the oil cooler you talking about? is their any hoses going to it?

GeneD
07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm thinking it's a thing they call a 'one point drain'.
It's a system Merc put on some engines to drain the motor from one point using a knob on the LHS of the motor. It's made of plastic, shaped like a sphere and has a bunch of hoses going to it. There is a small blue drain plug in the very front bottom.
They are very expensive to replace.
There sometimes is a flushing unit on it that is also made of plastic and also very expensive to replace.
Also, there is a box on the LHS also, buried halfway back. I'm still not certain what that is, but as I'll be working on that boat again in a few days, I'll find out. Could be the fuel warmer or cooler...whatever...it's on an MPI.
The oil cooler for the P/S is normally on the back of these engines.

Morgan's Cloud
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Is it on the left hand side of the motor?
Is that 'left hand' as in standing at the front of the engine looking at it , or looking at the engine from the stern of the boat ? ? ? :doh:
That's why there's only 'port' or 'stbd' on a boat not left or right !
OK , just trying to be funny and practical at the same time ...:D

GeneD
07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
The patient's left, not YOUR left...as we used to say at the hospital...
Anyway, in my world, port and starboard refer to the boat, not the motor...
But...it would be a positive marker...
The PORT side!!!!!

zedohsix
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Its on the port side of the boat, and it is the one point drain, had to break my arm in two places to get the sucker out, new part $300.00 and its bo, my arm will have healed and guess I'll have to rebreak, 16s are fun just don't get stuck
:canada:

GeneD
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Pretty expensive piece of plastic huh?
We just had to buy the flush part that attaches to that...at the tune of $165.
A quick disconnect fitting patented by Merc. What a rip-off...