PDA

View Full Version : Dead Speedo

rtgogo
07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
My speedo has gotten progressively worse the past few outings. Kinda worked with a good bit of bounce to start, but now just doesn't register over 40-45 and seems to have a hard time getting to that even being inaccurate. It's a Graffig II gauge and the previous owner relocated the pickup from the lower unit to an external transom mount. Thought it may be getting stuck in the up position, but starting to think it's more of a clogged line. Any ideas on how to isolate the problem? It seems like a cheap piece of white plastic and wondering if a different setup may work better. Anyone had good luck with a particular kind or advice on how i may fix this one? Just want it to register somewhere close to the right speed.

thanks!

gcarter
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
If you use a Gaffrig or Livorsi SST pickup, preferably a spring loaded example but they're kind of pricey, at least you can easily remove the pickup and clean it. If the pickup's clean, you can run a seperate piece of rubber tubing over the transom and attach it to the speedo to see if it's the tubing that's blocked.

glashole
07-07-2008, 07:58 AM
GPS speedo

accurate
no screwing aound with water pick-ups etc

The Hedgehog
07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
What Glashole said.

I probably have a couple of Gaffrig pickups laying around if you need them. New and in the box.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
My pickup lifts up after 75mph. Either a new pickup or move it back to the lower unit. BTW the location on the stern away from the strakes turbulence is necessary