PDA

View Full Version : Attn: GCarter

cutwater
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
George -

Is this the same thing you saw when you found that your coc*pit tub was bottoming out on the stringers? I noticed this while poking around with a flashlight in the bilge of the Minx. It appears to be just foreward of the battery box.

BlownCrewCab
07-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I looks like someone tried to glass a wooden wedge in to take up the gap (If I'm seeing it right) Is that what it is?

gcarter
07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Yep, that's the normal state of affairs unfortunately. Yes, Donzi wrapped wet glass around a wedge and placed it the middle of the rear floor over the stringers.
If you look at the bottom of my 22 thread, you see why these ****pit bottoms don't hold up so well.
Good luck.
I'll fix it for you in a year or so.

MOP
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Mine looked about the same but tub was not touching but would thump a bit in a chop! After my glass guy redid the transom, stringers, bulkheads and transverses he crawled in and laid some strips hull/tub, he said it would be easy to cut them away if need be.

cutwater
07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Okay, well I kind of expected it. There are some irregularities in my floor that were suspect. I don't run the boat very hard, so I think I should be okay for a while, right? I just don't want to cause major damage by running it this way.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Cutwater it should be fine unless you have a really big arse. Mu16 is over 40 years old and it hasn't been fixed.

gcarter
07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Fortunately for the 16 and 18 owners, they don't seem to have the problem as bad as the Minx's and 22's. It may be that the relative strength of the smaller boats is better in relation to their smaller ****pit sizes.
Before I was able to pull the deck off, I made some other corrections. If you cut all the tabs loose (don't panic, they don't do anything anyway in spite of what everyone here thinks), you can place a scissor jack under the floor just in front of the rear seat. Put a 2 X 4 across the bottom of the floor and on top of the jack. Carefully raise the jack and the floor will come up a little. Try to get some spacers between the floor and the stringers. Try to make some from some 1 X 4's. They should run from the front of the rear seat and forward to the front seat pedistals. They might end up being about 1/2" thick.