PDA

View Full Version : Minx port side trim tab stuck

coalguy
07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
It would appear that my port side trim tab is stuck. It makes a noise as if it is trying to go up or down but does not move. Any thoughts as to what might be wrong and how to fix? thanks in advance.

DonziJon
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
If the one on the right goes up and down, and the one on the left does Not, my guess is the switch on the dash is maybe dirty inside, faulty, or a loose wire. John

BigGrizzly
07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
What kind of tabs do you have?

coalguy
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
no idea what brand, nothing on them identifies them, it is an all original 20' Minx. As a note, the switch seems fine since it operates the starboard tabs fine and sounds like it is trying to engage the port one when hitting the port switch. The tab just doesn't move up or down though.

gcarter
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
If it's a Bennett, it'll say so on the pump.
Whan you push one of the switches, you run the pump motor and activate an electrically operated solenoid valve.
If the pump runs but no movement, then either one of the solenoids is not operating, or more likely, there is a break in the wire going to the solenoid, or a bad connector.
Bennett has an excellent rebuild program. For a very reasonable sum, less than $200.00 the last time I checked, they'll send you a brand new pump and any associated pieces needed in exchange for your old pump.
Someone here will know their phone#, but when I did it last, I worked with Mr. Thomas. He used to occasionally post here and answer questions.
The pump is usually located on the transom on the port side.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I had the problem George described. Bennett is a really good company they always try to help and usually succeed.

MOP
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
99% it is a solenoid, there were two types with slightly different plungers. Bring the old one with you or you will have extra trips or like me extra parts!!!! They have two different color solenoids they are the same!!!!

mrfixxall
07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
see if you can push it down by hand,if you can then do what mop said..