PDA

View Full Version : Wood inlay on the Mag.....

superhatz
07-06-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm finally getting around to putting the mahogany inlay on the bow of my 27 Sport.....I'm also installing a taller lifeline and all the deck hardware that was "shaved".....

Varnishing is hard, I've got about 10 coats to go....

Here's a couple of photos....I mocked the inlay in last night......I'm stoked!

I'll update as I go...(if anyone cares)

:woot:

Rob M
07-06-2008, 02:22 AM
That is an awesome boat - no flashy crap and colour - just classic, understated. Post more pics.

HIGH LIFE
07-06-2008, 08:09 AM
More pictures !!! I can appreciate the work you are doing to your MAGNUM--- keep up the good work. What year is your Sport ? Original Merc drives ? Have you thought about replacing shift/throttle controls? Speeds on GPS ? I've got a '73 SEDAN I'm constantly improving here in Mass. Keep up the good work!! HIGH LIFE

gcarter
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
10 coats of varnish later, this is a bit late.. West system is your friend :) :)
It would be....but epoxy doesn't hold up to UV!!:mad:
Ya still have to use varnish over it.

MOP
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
You can beat the sun issue by using the products on this page ( http://www.signaturefinish.com/ ) I can not say enough about the durability of their stuff, I have a friend with a Hans Christian sail boat that I recommended using their product on his teak rug rails, it lasted 10 seasons. He had used clear Awlgip for a few years which did fair but in no way compared this this stuff. Bertram Yacht commissioned them to paint the oldest know Bertram that in it's self is one heck of a testimonial. For anyone looking to protect wood in a marine environment this cannot be beat. A buddy has a rental fleet of Whalers in the Bahamas he uses on his decks saying nothing holds up to the sand and traffic better. There are two boat out my way painted with their product and they absolutely glisten.

MOP
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Clear awlgrip..
It is in it's 8th year on the woodie...

The Signature Finish stuff is far better, plus it is very easy to repair when nicked or what ever. The Awlgrip when left uncovered all season lasts about 4-5 years, I have watched both products over the years there is no comparison.

superhatz
07-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Man...you guys are bummin me out....I was wondering if I was a little too "old school" with the varnish?.......oh well....*shrug*.

samjannarone
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
SuperH,
Keep going with the varnish- everyone dockside is going to go nuts over that little piece of deck. Got any progress pics? I build wood stairs at work, nice job.

Sam

chappy
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Sam is right, that wood inlay makes the boat really stand out. Looking forward to more pics, thanks Aaron.

HallJ
07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Wow, you've got to be pretty cool if you're putting a wood inlay on your Magnum. :wink:

Jeff

Ghost
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
(Also, I never see belowdecks pictures of magnums--wondering what is down below too.)

Boatclinic
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Keep up the good work Aaron, will inspect next month, love that your going old school and in Minnesnowta it will last really long especially since it is stored indoors. LOOOOKS GREAT!!!!
Don

superhatz
07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow, you've got to be pretty cool if you're putting a wood inlay on your Magnum. :wink:

Jeff

Yeah....well get yours mounted and post some pics.....I'll even let ya in my thread!

:)

superhatz
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
More pictures !!! I can appreciate the work you are doing to your MAGNUM--- keep up the good work. What year is your Sport ? Original Merc drives ? Have you thought about replacing shift/throttle controls? Speeds on GPS ? I've got a '73 SEDAN I'm constantly improving here in Mass. Keep up the good work!! HIGH LIFE

Thanks...it's a '74. It's got 320EFIs and Bravos....runs 67 gps.

I haven't considered replacing the throttles?.....I like the original stuff.

superhatz
07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
(Also, I never see belowdecks pictures of magnums--wondering what is down below too.)

Not much below....just a crawl space really.....a couple of cushions. Mine has a toilet but you have to like small spaces or be desperate.

It's pretty much the most useless 27 foot boat on the planet....I wouldn't own any other!!.....:wink:

Morgan's Cloud
07-08-2008, 06:47 AM
It's pretty much the most useless , but most desireable 27 foot boat on the planet....I wouldn't own any other!!.....:wink:
There , fixed it for ya ! :biggrin.:

superhatz
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
There , fixed it for ya ! :biggrin.:

Good one!.....:)

HIGH LIFE
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
superhatz, should have bought a SEDAN, I could live on it for a week !!!!! Have you ever been on one ? HIGH LIFE

superhatz
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Got the inlay varnished and screwed down today (instead of working).....

More holes to drill.....lifeline, horns, cleats, anchor hatch, compass.....

superhatz
07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Well.....it needs a hard detail but it's more or less finished.....it turned out exactly how I wanted it.....:)

chappy
07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
:clap::worthy::drool:

Ghost
07-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Looks fantastic! Really nice work. That boat is gorgeous.

Time for a couple shots underway (or even a little video)...

superhatz
07-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys......HallJ (Minx w/Arneson) has a 27 Sport now and we're going to get some action shots and video at some point.

Ghost......that Nova looks cool.....is that yours?

Ghost
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Indeed it is.

Morgan's Cloud
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
And yet another super cool boat ... Hows about a nice side shot and telling us what you've got in it ..?

Brownie sent one of his early ones out here when I was a kid .. It became a local legend of sorts ..

superhatz
07-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Great boat Ghost....you should make a post about it.

Craig S
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Great boat Ghost....you should make a post about it.

Ditto!

Ghost
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
(Hey Craig!)

Lemme see if I can get some fresh pictures this weekend and maybe get a post up for next week...

As for what's in it--a pair of FWC carbureted 5.7 PCMs, 310HP/ea. (V-drive inboards) But I have a bottleneck in my fuel line setup that I need to re-do, so I'm not getting anywhere near all the HP out of her yet. Am doing a bunch of wiring and such now, but hope to sort out the fuel lines before season's end.

superhatz
07-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Here's hallj wishing he had his inlay done!......:D

superhatz
07-27-2008, 01:58 AM
hallj's Mag......it's purple.....:)

superhatz
07-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Sucking bandwidth.....sweet.

HallJ
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Okay, I've finally finished my inlay.

Here ya go! (Note the kick ass bubble vent!)

Jeff

superhatz
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Dang.......you're making me look bad.

I'm working on my black and gold boot stripe......:)

Morgan's Cloud
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
:drool: {passes out with envy } :drool:
I also like that neither of them have been butchered or hacked up !

superhatz
08-19-2008, 12:55 PM
:drool: {passes out with envy } :drool:
I also like that neither of them have been butchered or hacked up !

Well....mine's been hacked a bit but I'm working on that....:)

Morgan's Cloud
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe , but not because you tried to install a full wetbar with fridge or turn a sport runabout into a centre console ! :tongue:

HallJ
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
"Mahogany on the front, Vette motors in the back!"

Jeff

08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
That would look sweet with a candy stripe interior

superhatz
08-19-2008, 11:18 PM
That would look sweet with a candy stripe interior

Your boat would look sweet with an Edelbrock carb in it.....GTG soon.

smidgen too
08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Okay, I've finally finished my inlay.

Here ya go! (Note the kick ass bubble vent!)

Jeff
Jeff I have to quit making you look good, Earl might be coming to repo that BUBBLE. Nice wood inlay should be good for 5mph.:propeller:

superhatz
08-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Jeff I have to quit making you look good, Earl might be coming to repo that BUBBLE. Nice wood inlay should be good for 5mph.:propeller:

Welcome Mark!.....it's about time you showed up here.....:)

I may have to scam the used bubble from Jeff.

superhatz
08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I should add......that bubble may have "worked".......Jeff had a girl with him on Saturday.....and she looked good!

Kudos to hallJ!!!!!!

smidgen too
08-20-2008, 12:05 AM
I should add......that bubble may have "worked".......Jeff had a girl with him on Saturday.....and she looked good!

Kudos to hallJ!!!!!!
Now I know for sure I want that bubble back here on LSC.

HallJ
08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Chicks dig bubbles!

Mark,

I'll try the new props this weekend. they may yield even more chicks.

smoothie
08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Ribbon cut Mahogany and Magnums....what more could ya ask for! nice! now lets see some wave crushin...:)

smidgen too
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Chicks dig bubbles!

Mark,

I'll try the new props this weekend. they may yield even more chicks.

Jeff go for the Mr Tee look, and try wearing one. I hear that really works.

HallJ
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Ribbon cut Mahogany and Magnums....what more could ya ask for! nice! now lets see some wave crushin...:)

Here's a few of Aaron's boat.

Jeff

superhatz
08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Stand by for pics of the black and gold waterline stripe.....should have it done tomorrow.....retro baby.....retro!!

superhatz
08-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Got the waterline stripe done......black and a small gold on top.

Next mod will be a hatch pad to match the interior.

Bigbroadjumper
08-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Very nice!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
08-24-2008, 01:34 PM

One of these days, I hope to restore a 27 Magnum like your boat. My gameplan is to make mine a single engine. There was a man on the site who thought he might have one for me, but it fell through when he didn't buy the other boat that he planned. If you ever hear of a nice hull for sale, please let me know. I am also a fan of black and gold as you can see in the engine that I painted in my 1985 23' Eliminator Daytona. I had my rubrail gold anodized years ago and it has held up, but if you wanted your rubrail gold, it might be better to have it powder coated if you have a shop near you that can handle the size. I like the finish on the powder coating a little better. Bill

superhatz
08-24-2008, 08:25 PM
One of these days, I hope to restore a 27 Magnum like your boat. My gameplan is to make mine a single engine. There was a man on the site who thought he might have one for me, but it fell through when he didn't buy the other boat that he planned. If you ever hear of a nice hull for sale, please let me know. I am also a fan of black and gold as you can see in the engine that I painted in my 1985 23' Eliminator Daytona. I had my rubrail gold anodized years ago and it has held up, but if you wanted your rubrail gold, it might be better to have it powder coated if you have a shop near you that can handle the size. I like the finish on the powder coating a little better. Bill

Thanks Bill.....I'll let you know if I see anything. I like the way you do your boats. You have good taste.

I think I may have my rub rail power coated....it would surely last longer.

superhatz
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Couple more photos with the new boot stripe.....you guys sick of this thing yet?

The stripe is actually straight.....the digital photo makes it look weird>>>>

smidgen too
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Aaron the stripe give it a nice touch !!! What color would you do the rub rail in ??

superhatz
08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Aaron the stripe give it a nice touch !!! What color would you do the rub rail in ??

Thanks Mark......I'm not set on it yet but I do like the gold that Magnum used.

smidgen too
08-24-2008, 11:35 PM

Thats what my Mag had, and it matched the Magnum beer can Too !!!!!!

superhatz
08-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah.....that's what I'm talking about....I think it's cool.

I wouldn't mind a Magnum beer (or 10) too.....:)

BUIZILLA
08-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Aaron, I would leave the rubrail alone..... but that's just me

Conquistador_del_mar
08-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks Bill.....I'll let you know if I see anything. I like the way you do your boats. You have good taste.

I think I may have my rub rail power coated....it would surely last longer.

Thanks. By the way, I didn't really get an answer by the man who powder coats about whether or not the rubrails can be bent after being done - he only said that it would be better if they were bent first. When I had some new rubrails gold anodized about 14 years ago by a place in Dallas, I had some extra ones done at the same time in case I needed to replace one - knowing that getting one done later would probably not match. For whatever reason, they were able to make the sharp bends with no adverse affect on the finish. If I get a chance I will try to take a picture of the ones on my Eliminator so you can see if you like the look. It sure makes transportation simple if they can be shipped in stick form versus having to send them with the bends already made. Bill

HallJ
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Thats what my Mag had, and it matched the Magnum beer can Too !!!!!!

Yeah, I know what ya mean Mark, Only cool guys have gold rub rails.:wink:
And Bubble vents on the deck, ya know, new ones that they just randomly stumble across at a used boat parts place on Lake St. Clair.
Jeff

superhatz
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
And Bubble vents on the deck, ya know, new ones that they just randomly stumble across at a used boat parts place on Lake St. Clair.
Jeff

Yeah whatever!.....my boat's faster.....even with the fat-guy sausage fest I usually have on board.

superhatz
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Aaron, I would leave the rubrail alone..... but that's just me

I probably won't.....mine all polished up looks pretty sweet.

smidgen too
08-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Jeff

Jeff did you try my GOLD PROPS on the Mag , or did you just use them to pick up more girls ??? :eek:

Ghost
08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Keep the pictures coming--the boat looks FANTASTIC. The Mag 27 is one one of the best looking hulls ever and you've got that one looking really sharp.

(I think the rubrail looks just right from here as is, for what it's worth.)

smidgen too
08-25-2008, 11:45 PM
I probably won't.....mine all polished up looks pretty sweet.

I like the polished look too, the Mirage has stainless. Now If I could just keep Jeff awake, must be that smooth Mirage ride !!!! :doh:

Morgan's Cloud
08-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Sometime back in the mid 70's I think , an old friend had a 28 Maltese that he would ocasionally ship between here and Miami.
Although I liked the 27 Sport much more it was a pretty special boat even back then.
It was a custom order with a black hull and white bottom and gold rubrail and gold bootstripe. Very simple but off the scale elegant.
Only until recently it was the fastest boat I had ever been in .

HallJ
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the polished look too, the Mirage has stainless. Now If I could just keep Jeff awake, must be that smooth Mirage ride !!!! :doh:

I was tuckered out from absorbing all of the offshore racing stories.
There is so much great offshore racing history in the Detroit area.

I'm proud to own a piece of it!

Jeff

HallJ
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I modified my Danforth so it will fit in factory anchor hatch on the deck.

I'll get some action shots this weekend.

Jeff

superhatz
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I modified my Danforth so it will fit in factory anchor hatch on the deck.

I'll get some action shots this weekend.

Jeff

Did you get mine done too?.......:smash: