PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Bumpers on a 22ZX

kramsay1234
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
What do you guys do to hang bumpers on your 22ZX? I know tying them to the grab handles on the passenger side is an option, but other than that there are no cleats there from the factory on my '99 other than at the bow and on the swim platform, neither of which can be used for bumpers. I am sure I saw a picture of someone's 22ZX that had a popup cleat around even with the driver/passenger seats on the side of the boat. If so I would like to see pictures/hear aout the install if it wasn't a Donzi factory install. Thanks for any help and ideas. Cutting holes in the boat will be tough, but there are popups on the back swim platform so I could just use the same style if necessary and they will look factory I'm sure.

The Hedgehog
07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Snap in or pop ups are the way to go. I am ordering some snap ins for the 26.

A number of the folks on the site have used them with good results. Maybe they will post pics.

You can get them from Dana, EMI, CP etc

kramsay1234
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks. I will see if some people post pics. Used the suction cup ones on the weekend and they didn't see too bad. Am just worried if they move or slip off, then there is no protection.

McGary911
07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
These are pretty trick and don't require as large a hole as a typical pop up cleat.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/367990181.htm

RedDog
07-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Not a 22ZX, but this may help - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29164&highlight=cleats

CHACHI
07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I have been using the suction cups for over 6 years, on my Minx and now my 22C, no problems.

Ken

rtgogo
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I have the popup cleats on both sides in the middle of the boat and quick release ones mounted in the back which work great. Easy to use in a hurry, very small and have billet bezels to blend in. I'll see if I have photos to post or will take a few shots this weekend.

rtgogo
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Not the best shot, but all I can find now. I'll post another of the quick release after I get back to the lake.

kramsay1234
07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I knew I had seen some with the popup cleat on the side like that. I think Donzi started putting it on a year or two after mine. Do you know what length that cleat is? Either 4 1/2 or 6".

I may still go this way and definitely will if I have any problems with the suction cup bumpers. Thanks.

Not the best shot, but all I can find now. I'll post another of the quick release after I get back to the lake.

rtgogo
07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
I'll measure in a few days when I get back to the lake. I would highly recommend lookin into the quick release fittings also. I'll take some pics of those so you can see. They are very minimal so they don't detract from the lines and would be a small hole in the glass. Work really well in the rear and makes em easy to attached leaning over the pad.

rtgogo
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I got rained out at the lake today and couldn't get the photos. Shoot em for ya next time I'm there...

kramsay1234
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM
No worries. As soon as you can is great. Interior looks great though with all the details. Want my bezels and parts to all arrive so I can get to work on mine. The bezels should be good for 1-2mph...

I got rained out at the lake today and couldn't get the photos. Shoot em for ya next time I'm there...

Uncle Fester
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Here's the pop-ups on mine. Don't know if they are factory or aftermarket since they were on the boat already and I'm second owner. They are in the perfect place and do well at docks and rafting next to other boats.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/rennerr/DSCN0938.jpg

Uncle Fester
07-11-2008, 11:34 AM
And I just went out and measured and they are 5 1/8th wide and 1 7/8th high

kramsay1234
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks. Thats a sweet looking boat! Identical to mine except the main red on yours is blue on mine. That size measurement seems strange because I know they only come in 4 1/2 and 6", but I am not sure what the true measurments are of either. Looks like the right placement though for sure.

Question as well - did you re-**** between the deck and the windscreen with some type of black **** or strip? Looks like someone has done something there...

Here's the pop-ups on mine. Don't know if they are factory or aftermarket since they were on the boat already and I'm second owner. They are in the perfect place and do well at docks and rafting next to other boats.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/rennerr/DSCN0938.jpg

Uncle Fester
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
cussing on a family forum????....lol I think it is factory KOCKING. You can see in that pic it was missing some black in the middle cause my buffer grabbed it when I was waxing. I since went down and bought some black rtv and smoothed it over and looks like new. And I was probably being anal about the fractions when measuring...probably 5x2"

kramsay1234
07-11-2008, 08:43 PM
ha yeh. Must watch that foul mouth! I asked because the kock on mine is white. There is a bunch of dirt and stuff in the white kock from bugs, etc, rocks when trailering it looks like, or whatever. I am just about to re-**** mine.

Anyone know if the old stuff has to be taken out of there completely and what type of kocking is the best for this application?

cussing on a family forum????....lol I think it is factory KOCKING. You can see in that pic it was missing some black in the middle cause my buffer grabbed it when I was waxing. I since went down and bought some black rtv and smoothed it over and looks like new. And I was probably being anal about the fractions when measuring...probably 5x2"

rtgogo
07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
I'd like to know also and if it can be purchased in various colors or only black or white. I assume the same product could be used for caulking around the dash panel and cuddy door on the interior...right?

kramsay1234
07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
yes, caulking....So what type is best for marine? I know sikaflex is always a popular name. Is that necessary, or are there any other more ordinary types that will do between my windscreen and inside on some of the interior locations and around the speaker covers?

rtgogo
07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Cleats on mine are 5" and quick release on rear are 1.5" with bezel.