PDA

View Full Version : Test Drove a 28zxo - should I be worried?

IwannaDonziZX
07-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi, I test drove a 28ZXO this week with twin 350 Mags, the boat is beautiful and seems to be a good deal but....

The engines have just over 22 hours on them, the boat is just about 2 years old and the owner has never done an oil change, obviously the oil when I checked it was very black, but on the one engine it was also very gritty, anyone have any idea what that could be? that's the part that scares me the most. This engine also runs about 10 degrees hotter than the other one.

Also concerning is the big leak in the other engine with the lower unit gear oil. It's leaking all over the engine compartment and out the bilge.

The muffler button didn't seem to work (no change in sound levels) and the trim tabs didn't seem to work either.

When on plane, I tried to throttle all the way up and everything went fine until I tried to trim up the engines, a steady alarm was going off???

So now I'm wondering why a boat with only 20+ hours would have this much problems...

anyone have any opinions? should I run like hell, or do the problems all seem minor?

thanks

chappy
07-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Much depends on the asking price.

BUIZILLA
07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
is the 20 hour reading from a dash gauge?? or the Merc scanner?

black oil is wayyyyyyyy older than 20 hours

the grit could be condensation related

the alarm is probably the drive oil reservoir being low

the only low hour late year ZXO I know of for sale is the white one that was in the midwest then relocated to the gulf coast.... it's been for sale a LONG time due to it being the low 260HP 350's...

IwannaDonziZX
07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
20 hour reading is from digital displays, located under the rear seat, next to the battery switch. Could the oil not just be black cause it's just old?

the alarm would only go off when I tried to trim the engines up, immediately stopped when I put the trim back down.. wierd....

I could tell the boat hadn't been used much cause of the stickers still on the outdrives...

Pismo
07-04-2008, 08:49 PM
It has been sitting around unused so some things dont work. the tab oil has leaked out, it needs an oil change, low drive oil is setting off the alarm, etc. I had all the same problems in my 7 year old 35 engine hour boat I bought. It is fine, all these things are great negotiating points esp in this economy. Get a deal and buy it, easy fixes. The last thing you need to worry about are two 2 year old 350 mercruiser Mag packages. They need a little maintenance but will be fine for another 1000+ hours. Salt? Lower price still.

The Hedgehog
07-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I am partial to the ZX hull.

Scan the ECU and then work from there. It sounds like someone has been sloppy but if the price is right then....

Cuda
07-05-2008, 06:19 AM
The worse thing for a boat is prolonged sitting. It still doesn't explain the oil.

CHACHI
07-05-2008, 06:38 AM
If you like the boat, and the other problems are just a lack of a little lovin', draw an oil sample from each engine and sent it out for analysis.
If the seller will let you draw enough oil from each engine for 2 samples, send a sample to two different labs, then compare notes. Just make sure the oil is hot when sampling. Suck it out of the dipstick tube if you can't get to the pan drain.
Draw about 6 ounces for each sample.

Ken

glashole
07-05-2008, 07:17 AM
just on a side note

Ken

who would do that and what would they find?

BigGrizzly
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Glas, there are several companies that do it but it takes a while to do it. I use to have our administrative assistant send it, so I don't remember who specifically does it.

zimm17
07-05-2008, 10:04 AM
If you like the boat, and the other problems are just a lack of a little lovin', draw an oil sample from each engine and sent it out for analysis.
If the seller will let you draw enough oil from each engine for 2 samples, send a sample to two different labs, then compare notes. Just make sure the oil is hot when sampling. Suck it out of the dipstick tube if you can't get to the pan drain.
Draw about 6 ounces for each sample.

Ken

I fully recommend this- maybe even spend the $500 on a full marine survey. I almost bought a 2004 30' Y2K Superboat back in 2006 with a rebuilt 525EFI and all the race goodies: dual hyd helms, k-planes, etc. It was $59k.

I spent the $500 on a survey and it had cracked stringers, gouged bottom from loading on a wrong sized trailer, broken engine hatch, and the oil sample came back with antifreeze in the oil. The engine had 20 hours on it after a performance rebuilt- touted as 585HP, the boat only went 70mph- the surveyor said something was seriously wrong with the boat.

Wow! I had almost bought it sight unseen.

Turns out it was Superboat owner's son's race boat- then retired and titled in 2004. So it was actually a few years older than that and had the crap beat out of it.

I posted all the findings of the survey on offshoreonly.com where it was advertised, the whole community crapped on me for slandering the seller- WTF???? I was trying to save someone else. I even sent my survey to the seller- which I didn't have to do- so he knew what really had. He was mad at me too.

So, get a survey and use it to negotiate more on the price for all the stuff that's wrong.

LKSD
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
If you like the boat Then Zimm is right get it looked at by a surveyor or reputable shop.. It will help to let you know if you are getting a fair handshake, ripped off, or if you need to negotiate further or walk away.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

IwannaDonziZX
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input. THANKS!!! will keep you posted on what I find out. I'm hoping I may even be able to buy an extended warranty.

BigGrizzly
07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Heard Zimm's story before. I saw this and they acted like Zimm was the bad guy. I am on Zimm's side on this one. A Customer got a supposedly BBC 1,100 Hp engine from California from a so called 100+ mph boat. Garry looked at the numbers and said it is too perfect, fit the numbers exactly. When it arrived, the customer was called and the motor was un-crated and slapped on the dyno with the customer there and put on the Dyno. it pulled only in the high 800s. Boy this guy was really not happy. Another OSO story- not all OSO stories go this way this is not a slam on OSO, mostly there good people with similar passions to us. Any way Let the buyer be aware. There are some unforeseeable problems that arise after a sale, some times things just happen.

BUIZILLA
07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
your local CAT dealer should have a very thorough oil lab for analysis, mine does, we use it weekly, in fact I used it 4 times this week alone...

$10 a shot, $20 max

Pismo
07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
This is a stock merc boat, everything is probably fine. Built engine stories are always full of BS.

CHACHI
07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
just on a side note

Ken

who would do that and what would they find?
My company uses a lab out of Atlanta I think. I can post the address on Monday when I am back in the office.

The oil anaylist report would show wear metals (in parts per million), coolant (if any), fuel dilution, additive concentration (PPM), soot, solids viscosity, etc. Usually if the testing company finds something amiss they flag it on the results to make you aware. the report will also explain where certain wear metal are most likely to come from, rings, thrust washers, bearings, etc.

The best way to compare your used oil is to send the lab a sample of your new oil before you dump it in your engine and run it. This way the lab has a baseline of the additive content (in PPM) and the viscosity of your oil new.

I always felt it is better to know how your oil performed (new vs used)than to have your results of your used oil weighted against an average.

And I suggested two labs just to have a second opion. The test are inexpensive, boats/engines are not.

Ken

BUIZILLA
07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
FYI.... there's a 2005 28ZX w/6.2's and 60 hours at National Liquidators up for auction..... great color's... my backyard... look's pretty clean... :crossfing: :wink:

Donziweasel
07-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Boat that new with that low hours having that many problems= no way in hell would I buy it! Don't care what the lab says, boat has been severly abused to have that much wrong with it. Come on guys, he said "but on the one engine it was also very gritty". Grit in the oil? That is enough said right there. Who cares if the lab says it is metal shavings, sand or flour, IT IS GRIT IN THE OIL!!!! Plus, 20 hours since rebuild and VERY black oil? No brainer! Run very far away.

Buy the 28 Buiz is talking about.

blackhawk
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
If the price is riight I would start with the oil anlysis and if that is ok then get a full survey. "Grit" definitely doesn't sound good, but the color of motor oil means absolutely nothing.

BigGrizzly
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I will jump in here. If you like the boat, and they are nice boats, and the price is right and the boat is in good shape but just not cared for. Survey it and go for it new engines blow up too. engines are cheap compared to boats. IF it looks like more then you want to handle, walk away. Love is a strange thing...

Cuda
07-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I will jump in here. If you like the boat, and they are nice boats, and the price is right and the boat is in good shape but just not cared for. Survey it and go for it new engines blow up too. engines are cheap compared to boats. IF it looks like more then you want to handle, walk away. Love is a strange thing...
I agree with Grizz. If you can get it cheap enough to afford an eninge or two, and the rest of the boat pleases you, get a survey and go for it. Trust me, engines are cheap compared to glass work. :(

Trueser
07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
The drive reservoir and trim pumps do leak on the 28zx.

I would be worried on this one. It doesnt sound rite. Have someone take a look at it.

Great Boat...

What year?

The Hedgehog
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
The drive reservoir and trim pumps do leak on the 28zx.
I would be worried on this one. It doesnt sound rite. Have someone take a look at it.
Great Boat...
What year?

Why would they act any differently than any other Bravo package?

Trueser
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
On mine they are mounted on the transom and they both leaked.

The caps were also a problem.

The Hedgehog
07-06-2008, 10:39 PM
On mine they are mounted on the transom and they both leaked.
The caps were also a problem.

All the caps leak. There are some groovy looking aftermarket caps that work well.

That is interesting about the drive resevoirs. They should not leak much unless you really heat up the drive oil. The heat I am talking about comes from 700+ ponies. A good buddy of mine ran the heck out of 500 hps and never got that much heat. I am surprised that a small block benerates that much heat witha a B I. Maybe it does have something to do with the transom mount. Mine on my 383 mag has not leaked a drop.

I love the 28 ZX but it sounds like he has a few things to try to uncover.