PDA

View Full Version : No Hot Rod, But sooooo SWEET!!!

Donzi Racer
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Well here is our new aquisition. It is not a hot rod, but it is so nice to see a 41 year old Holman Moody in this kind of shape. It is in a barrel back built around December 1967. I believe that would be a 225 hp. Correct me if I am wrong on that hp rating for that year model. Anyway have had it running in the driveway and hope to have her in the water this 4th of July weekend. Wow!! Tom

BigGrizzly
07-05-2008, 09:30 AM
I hope it works well. It brings back some fine memories of my days at the shore running with all my Donzi friends back in the day.

boldts
07-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Wow now theres a memory restorer for me. I had that setup in a 1969 18' 2 + 3 Classic.

Donzi Racer
07-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I hope it works well. It brings back some fine memories of my days at the shore running with all my Donzi friends back in the day.

Randy, I finally got the Barrel Back in the water. It was like taking a 1967 boat out for the 1st time. The little dream was like driving a new 1967 one. It is much different than the newer ones or hydraulic steering ones we have had of course but it reminded me of being 10 years old and trying my best to keep the steering wheel of our Baby 14 straight using left hand and left knee holding the wheel and the right hand on the dead man throttle that came with that boat. It was a definite blast driving the little Barrel Back. Lots of torque steering but sooo fun. What a wonderful mellow sound. Just love the ole girl. Only got to run her in the upper most trim hole so we got a little porposing on turns, but seemed to moving along at more than 50 mph but no speedo or GPS. Did not have time to try it in the middle or the bottom hole, maybe soon. I believe it is heading up to Knoxville or tri-cities Tenn for a while. Loving the ole ones. Tom

Donzi Vol
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Well after some dialog with BlownCrewCab like, "Do you have a screwdriver?" (Mike) "No." (Me) (Repeat this for life jacket, rope, oar, etc.) I got the Barrel Back on the water tonight. It was a blast. Definitely one that you have to pay attention to...she doesn't drive herself. But I've never gone for easy girls anyhow. :wink: I'm planning a big day on the water this weekend. I'll try to get some good pictures.

JimG
08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Bravo! Sounds like you have a sweetie, there! There's a simplicity about the old ones that just can't be matched. Nothing but a throttle and a wheel! No trim, no tabs, no complications at all. And the sound of a Ford running through the HM logs is so melodious, very mellow but muscular...

Enjoy!

JimG
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
BTW, try the middle hole. The top hole was slightly faster, but felt too loose to me.

Also, my Ultra cured the torque steer. One of Randy's Solas props might do the same thing. I know that mine torqued something terrible with the old Volvo aluminum prop (no cup)... Now it's hands off.

BlownCrewCab
08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Tom, That is a Nice boat, For original (40+ year old) Gel Coat it doesn't look as bad as it could. And everything works, I was impressed.

David, Bring a small tool box/bag out with you (and a Knife, Ha Ha) it really sucks when somthing simple turns a good day on the water into a bad day by not being able to fix it. Call me if you need to. Enjoy

Donzi Vol
08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
BTW, try the middle hole. The top hole was slightly faster, but felt too loose to me.

Also, my Ultra cured the torque steer. One of Randy's Solas props might do the same thing. I know that mine torqued something terrible with the old Volvo aluminum prop (no cup)... Now it's hands off.

It was in the middle hole last night. Felt pretty good there. I might try the bottom this weekend just for the heck of it. We'll see how she handles.

I like the prop idea. It has the original on it, and I'm sure that a little update would help out A LOT.

Donzi Vol
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Tom, That is a Nice boat, For original (40+ year old) Gel Coat it doesn't look as bad as it could. And everything works, I was impressed.

David, Bring a small tool box/bag out with you (and a Knife, Ha Ha) it really sucks when somthing simple turns a good day on the water into a bad day by not being able to fix it. Call me if you need to. Enjoy

Haha. You don't even realize how much I was laughing last night when I called you and had to fess up that I had no tools. The crazy thing is that I had the toolbox and knife ready to go with me, but apparently trunks and towel were more important in my mind. Thanks again for the help!

Donzi Vol
08-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Well after dealing with some fuel issues for a week or so, BlownCrewCab and I got on the water for a couple hours this afternoon. She ran great, and the water was perfect for it. I was too busy trying to figure out how to deal with the sudden waves coming from random angles, but Mike said that he heard the prop come out of the water a couple times (don't tell Uncle Tom :wink:). I took some pictures, but then remembered that I don't have my laptop with me here in Knoxville. So they'll be up soon. RedDog and I are planning a trip to the river tomorrow (possibly with a show of cutwater). Will let you know more tomorrow.

Having a blast!
-David

BigGrizzly
08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
B crew cab gets to ride free for a little help, what a hard job:wink:. Get thoes pictures up or I am going to call your uncle.:)

BlownCrewCab
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
:wink: Thats How I do It.

cutwater
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Had the pleasure of riding in this boat today, ran down the Tennessee then up the mouth of the Little River. I'll let David tell you about it, but man what a fun little ride! These boats are such great designs and always will be, but it's hard to imagine just how revolutionary they were in the mid 60s.

Donzi Vol
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Had the pleasure of riding in this boat today, ran down the Tennessee then up the mouth of the Little River. I'll let David tell you about it, but man what a fun little ride! These boats are such great designs and always will be, but it's hard to imagine just how revolutionary they were in the mid 60s.

Glad you could join today, man. We had a blast and I'm happy that you enjoyed the '67 BB. Courtney was so funny today. I noticed that after I got a little crazy a time or two that she had moved closer to you...haha! By the way, does she have any friends? I mean a girl that will go for a boat ride in her church clothes is a keeper for sure!

Donzi Vol
08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
B crew cab gets to ride free for a little help, what a hard job:wink:. Get thoes pictures up or I am going to call your uncle.:)

Yes, BlownCrewCab is the man! My favorite quote of the weekend, "No, you keep driving. You need the practice." -Mike. Haha!

Well, by your request...check out the pictures. Some from Saturday and some from Sunday. (By the way, the picture of a guy on the deck isn't a seductive man-pose. It's on the internet to tick off my brother!)

Donzi Racer
09-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Keep that young whipper snapper straight for me Grizz. Here are a few more wonderful pics. Young nephew is doing a jam up job of getter the old girl ship shape for Destin and the Owner Rally. Now I am wondering how all this driving is getting any "WAX ON-WAX OFF" accomplished on that 40 year old gel coat. Hmmmm? It is a real looker though for a 40 year old Barrel Back. Just purs like a kitty cat walking across cotton. See ya'll in Destin. Tom

PS for Grizz or anyone that has ever seen these waterski rope electric retractors. I have never seen anything like them and they look right, on the boat. One on each side of the stern drive inside the transom. Both still work. Operatable from helm or from the transom. T

BigGrizzly
09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't remember the retractors. The look cool , might be really good as an anchor line retractor too.