PDA

View Full Version : Powellfest 08' Aug. 14-18

RickSE
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
The Powellfest guys & gals are at it again. It'll be held August 14-18 this year. No official schedule yet but it should follow a similar schedule to 07'.

Dinners will consist of Potluck on Thursday night, TnB's shrimp boil on Friday night, and the Luau Pig on Saturday night.

Last year they did a pretty big raffle on Friday night and a Poker Run on Saturday. These guys & gals are pretty fun. Houseboat(s) and rooms are available and we found out last year that clothing was optional on Friday night. :nilly:Sounds like they'll be up in Padre Bay this year, about a 20-30 minute ride from Wahweap or Antelope Marina.

Powellfest 08' (http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=4311)

farmer tx
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Rick are you going to make the Powellfest ?

RickSE
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Not sure yet. I've got two potential problems,

1) I need to put sod in and can't get any here in town until Aug 14th.

2) Our boat is probably going down to PHX late next week for some work and I won't know the schedule to finish until next week.

Otherwise, yes I was planning on going, just Patti and I. I should know for sure by early next week.

Oh, forgot I also need to get up to Tahoe to pick up another 65' Oldsmobile sometime in Aug.

zelatore
07-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Tahoe? August? You need to figure out how to bring the boat with you...I can be up there in 3 hours. Beats the heck out of the whole day it took me to get to Powell!

RickSE
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Tahoe? August? You need to figure out how to bring the boat with you...

Wish I could but I'll have to haul my flatbed up there to bring the car back. If I can get out of here next week I'm going to try and attend the wooden boat show at Tahoe.

Zelatore, when you came down did you end up cutting across through Nevada? I'm wondering if its worth it to hit Vegas then up through Nevada to Tahoe or just bite the bullet and take the California I-5 route on the west side.

zelatore
08-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I came down 5, then cut over through Bakersfield and Vegas.

Going to Tahoe from Flagstaff, Google wants to run you on 40 west just past Barstow, then north on 395 which runs right up to Tahoe. They're showing 742 miles/12 hrs. But it's going to run you through some mountain roads as you get north. Nice scenery (heck, you'll go right past Yosemite) but maybe not the best for towing.

You could come further west like I did and go north on 99 or 5 to Sacramento then up 50 to Tahoe. That would add about 100-120 miles but 5 and 99 are flat so it's easy (but boaring) driving. The one bad thing is CA has a pathetic 55 mph limit for any road when you're towing so I5 where the posted limit for everybody else is 70 and most people are driving 80 can be a PITA.

Or, you could go north up toward Page, Hurricane (evil ticket-writing town...), then 375/6 accross Nevada. I've never driven out there, but when you get to CA it will put you on 120...I've ridden that on my bike and it's great for 2 wheels or a sports car, but not my first choice to tow through.

If you do decide to come over though Sacramento, you'll be coming right past my place; I'm only about 5 miles off I5 in a town called Walnut Grove. If I'm home I'd be glad to splash the 22 and take you for a little delta tour. It's no Lake Powell, but it's home.

zelatore
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
BTW, the wooden boat show is great, but next weekend I'll be with the BMW club at Thunderhill. I'll take track time over a static show any day of the week. :hyper:

RickSE
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks like no Powellfest for me this year, my SOD order arrives on the 15th.

farmer tx
08-06-2008, 01:03 AM
We just had a new granddaughter, PJ is going to Amarillo next week to help out. We are going to try to make it out there again this year. We will stay in touch.

Avialanche
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh, forgot I also need to get up to Tahoe to pick up another 65' Oldsmobile sometime in Aug.

Rick,

FYI, I build Performance Olds engines for a living/hobby on the side, Big Blocks are my speciallty. Drop me an email/pm if you want a qoute or have questions.

Mike

RickSE
08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
OK, I'm trying to decide what to do since I've found another factory 4-speed 65' f-85 wagon. I already own one and not sure what I'd do with two but I'm probably going up to get the car anyway.