PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe it? Toyota down 21.4%

gcarter
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/print.php?id=D91L6TJG0&show_article=1&catnum=0

Toyota sales tumble 21.4 pct; Ford down 27.9 pct.

Jul 1 01:48 PM US/Eastern
By TOM KRISHER and DEE-ANN DURBIN
AP Auto Writers

DETROIT (AP) - High gasoline prices and a weak economy took a toll on U.S. sales of Toyota Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co. vehicles in June, with Toyota reporting a 21.4 percent decline and Ford dropping 27.9 percent.
Industry analysts had predicted June auto sales could drop by double-digits to their lowest monthly rate in 16 years.

Toyota, however, had been expected to fare better because it has a lineup more tilted toward small fuel-efficient cars and crossover vehicles.

But it didn't. Toyota said Tuesday its car sales dropped 9.4 percent for the month, while its truck sales slipped 38.9 percent. For the first half of the year, Toyota sales were down 6.8 percent.

Ford shares sank to a new 52-week low, while rival General Motors Corp. shares were trading near their lowest level in more than a half century.

Dearborn-based Ford blamed the latest sales decline on high gas prices and low consumer confidence, which sent buyers to the sidelines. It reported steep drops in June sales of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, including a 41 percent year-over-year decline for the F-Series pickup, a perennial best-seller, and a 52 percent drop for the Ford Explorer SUV.

U.S. auto sales had already fallen for seven straight months as of May, the longest period of consecutive monthly drops in eight years, according to the auto information Web site Edmunds.com.

When customers do buy, they're picking smaller cars, crossovers and hybrids. The demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles has been a boon to Japanese automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., which rely less heavily on trucks and sport utility vehicles than the Detroit Three.

For the first half of the year, Ford's sales were down 14 percent compared with the year-ago period.

Ford said sales of its smallest car, the Ford Focus, rose 28 percent in the first six months of the year, although Focus sales fell in June. The automaker said last month it plans to increase production of the Focus as well as the Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape small SUVs.

Ford shares tumbled 32 cents, or 6.6 percent, to $4.49 in afternoon trading after sinking to a 52-week low of $4.41 earlier in the session. They have traded as high as $9.64 over the past year.

The Associated Press reports unadjusted figures, calculating the percentage change in the total number of vehicles sold in one month compared with the same month a year earlier. Some automakers report percentages adjusted for sales days. There were 24 sales days last month and 27 in June 2007.

zelatore
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds like somebody's sales management team has gone to sleep. You'd think they'd be busting a$$ chasing anybody who walked on the lot. And if they're not, why aren't the managers flogging the sales staff to get to work?

We're not exactly rolling in clients here, but when a new walk-in shows up people pay attention!

justleft
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I have been looking at F-250 diesels to drag the donzi around.
They don't seem to be getting any cheaper. Especially the swb models.

Seems nobody wants to lower prices. I guess their overhead has skyrocketed like mine.

zelatore
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I haven't actually tried, but I've got to think if you walk into any truck dealership and make it clear you're ready to put cash on the table on something they have on the lot they'd bend over backward to make the deal.

Of course they'll do everything possible to not let you know that, but considering that F150 sales are down something like 45%, I can't believe they're moving a lot of the bigger trucks either.

Carl C
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Chrysler has been hit the worst, some are saying stick a fork in them. They're done:(. They lost $1.6 billion last year I believe. I wonder who will end up with the Jeep brand if they fall. I was a jeep mechanic when AMC had it.

McGary911
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
They didn't do as bad as Ford. I'm thinking it's the economy in general that hurt them, not the cars they sell.

roadtrip se
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Trip and I were at a Chrysler dealer looking at the new Charger, not one salesman came out from the fooseball table to talk to us. I think they have just given up...

It was the new SRT8 Challenger dude... The dealership might as well have been hit by a neutron bomb... not a soul to be seen anywhere.

Barry Eller
07-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Sounds like somebody's sales management team has gone to sleep. You'd think they'd be busting a$$ chasing anybody who walked on the lot. And if they're not, why aren't the managers flogging the sales staff to get to work?
We're not exactly rolling in clients here, but when a new walk-in shows up people pay attention!
Not every dealership is that way...not all salespeople are that way.

Most people are so "Upside Down" in their vehicles, we can't get them out of them. It gets frustrating when 9 out of people coming in are not in financial condition to trade. If you want to buy a vehicle from me, I'll greet you with a smile and give you great service!

The industry is partly to blame by offering long term financing, but the consumers have overloaded themselves with debt.

Black book truck values have been falling an average of $1500.00 a week on used trucks, all trucks, not just Toyotas.

I sell Cadillacs, Buicks, Pontiacs and GMC trucks. It's not the salespeople or dealer management...its the economy. I have been at the same location for 20 years. My repeat customers are my bread & butter. If I had to rely of floor traffic...well...I wouldn't own a Donzi.

The manufacturers have been making large profits on large gas guzzling trucks and SUV's, and were not prepared for the market change.

I have been in the automotive industry for 35 years, every time there is a "gas crunch" this same thing happens.

I have "customers" coming in daily to trade these gas guzzlers, wanting to get out of them and get lower payments. When you have $10000.00 negative equity in them, all I can do is sympathize.

Craig S
07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Chrysler has been hit the worst, some are saying stick a fork in them. They're done:(. .

Mercedes Benz must be elated.

Lenny
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I have been looking at F-250 diesels to drag the donzi around.
They don't seem to be getting any cheaper. Especially the swb models.

Seems nobody wants to lower prices. I guess their overhead has skyrocketed like mine.

Our truck prices here (used) have dropped about 15-20K $$$. Finally, they match your prices. For me it is a GREAT time 'cuz now I can afford to look at the F-250/350 diesel market without sticker SHOCK :eek: