PDA

View Full Version : If you have done the 16 tab swap post here!

MOP
07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Way to much supposition in the handling post, please only if you have done the swap make your comments here in this post. Be honest with your assessment as to whether it was truly worth it or not, if you have not done the swap please do not post in the post here just add more to the handling post.

Phil

The Hedgehog
07-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Way to much supposition in the handling post, please only if you have done the swap make your comments here in this post. Be honest with your assessment as to whether it was truly worth it or not, if you have not done the swap please do not post in the post here just add more to the handling post.
Phil

Give me a few months and I will have some on the 18. I am planning on using them mostly for balancing out those passangers that keep sitting in the wrong place.

smokediver
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I can only state my experience with my old 16 when it had the 4.3 ... When I installed the V-8 the weight was moved forward .. I think I had to move the forward engine mount forward about 4 inches ... I can tell you that a V-6 16 handles different than a V-8 and I am thinking it is because of the weight being forward that small amount.. Having said that .. The V-6 , imho , really benefits from the tabs ... I had the tabs on the boat when I put in the V-8. An asspile of torque makes you forget about using trim tabs !:)

Sweet little 16
07-02-2008, 07:04 AM
supposition??? as stated in the handling thread have tabs used them got the right prop and don't use them any more they may be worth it but not has much as the right prop

MOP
07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
supposition??? as stated in the handling thread have tabs used them got the right prop and don't use them any more they may be worth it but not has much as the right prop

Well I did ask for a clean thread on user's only but I guess some just can't resist! Gee I did say PLEASE!

No matter what anyone has to say all planing hull boats benefit from tabs, I will never do without them. A prop will not let you balance the boat side to side. A prop will not help you adjust the for and aft attitude of the boat for various running speeds, trim will to a point but when forced to run slower in a bad sea and needing to keep the bow down you can not beat tabs. A prop will not do away with the low speed wag/fish tailing all single screw deep V's do at idle speeds. Tabs also allow you to roll the boat so the hull has a more favorable angle of attck when running in a beam sea. I have over the years installed a few hundred set of tabs, not once but every single time the owners had positive comments. They all liked the control the tabs gave them! I personally don't like having to make my friends or clients move around my 22 to balance it out, a few taps on the button and I rule not the boat! Sure people will run without them and live with it but they loose the benefits, setup correctly there are -0- loses only gains for in my eyes very few $$!

BERTRAM BOY
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
A 16 needs tabs?

Sweet little 16
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Well I did ask for a clean thread on user's only but I guess some just can't resist! Gee I did say PLEASE!
No matter what anyone has to say all planing hull boats benefit from tabs, I will never do without them. A prop will not let you balance the boat side to side. A prop will not help you adjust the for and aft attitude of the boat for various running speeds, trim will to a point but when forced to run slower in a bad sea and needing to keep the bow down you can not beat tabs. A prop will not do away with the low speed wag/fish tailing all single screw deep V's do at idle speeds. Tabs also allow you to roll the boat so the hull has a more favorable angle of attck when running in a beam sea. I have over the years installed a few hundred set of tabs, not once but every single time the owners had positive comments. They all liked the control the tabs gave them! I personally don't like having to make my friends or clients move around my 22 to balance it out, a few taps on the button and I rule not the boat! Sure people will run without them and live with it but they loose the benefits, setup correctly there are -0- loses only gains for in my eyes very few $$!

sorry i thought this was a forum of free info exchange, and thought i could comment as our 16 had tabs if not the admin can delete

that all is true but none of this was part of the original thread,
the thread that started you on this was a new user new to his boat who had some basic questions about about being green and handling and pulling a skier or wakeboarder, and he got two opinions from 2 well respected members
one he bought the wrong boat????? and the only way to fix it was tabs, the first is uterly false, the second opinion may in fact have some merit but just adding tabs will only mask the problems caused by the prop, again tabs may be the ultimate solution, but not to mention a remedy of smaller steps like seat time, trim angle and a prop would not be right
terms like no matter what anyone has to say, I know what's best , it is the only way to do it, and I have done a ton of these, always amaze me, the mind is closed at that point
let's see newbie v 6 handling issues, questions on towing, buy a master craft eerr NO, drop a v 8 in there add trimtabs scratch that add k planes, grind out the hook wait add a pad move the center of gravity??? how about a more timid approach of little steps first , props can be borrowed, tested, and can be done by even the non mechanical, tabs require holes in the transom
how about take it for a few rides find out what prop you have, make the passenger move around to see if that helps or hurts then decide if a new prop and or tabs might be needed???

you had a 16 how many props did you run on it, did they not effect the boat differently, not sure how many styles were availble for the omc but we tried atleast 10 , from cleaver to choppers to michigan elephant ears to ultras, to brass racing props to merc racing props with volvo hubs pressed into them and each one gave the boat a different "quirk" really are we the only that got the benefits of the solas prop??? where tabs were no longer needed in most running conditions

Conquistador_del_mar
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

I simply want to say that you are absolutely correct! I put my first set of tabs on my 1971 18' Donzi in about 1975, and I have installed them on every deep V hulled boat I have owned since then as well - even my modified V fishing boat. You pointed out something that I don't think many people (even with tabs) realize. You can lay the hull to one side for a much better angle of attack for the waves that are coming in diagonally. We all have experienced the horrible pounding of waves against the side of the bow when it hits the oncoming waves almost flat. It is so nice to just set the hull over in the opposite direction to lessen the impact of the waves and keep almost all the resulting spray from coming in at you and your passengers as well as getting a much improved ride. My two cents, Bill

Sweet little 16
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
hey guys this thread is about the adding of tabs on a 16 not an 18 or a 22 or another deep vee :propeller:

let's try and stay on point here :p

BigGrizzly
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
16 This thread was for TAB ADDITION to a previously non tab boat. This is a different thread than the 16 Handling 16 issue one. TWO separate threads. I understand your concern I too have been confused on similar threads. With me I some times jump to an answer without listening to the total question. I have been there much too often. Now back to our previously scheduled program.

Rootsy
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
A 16 needs tabs?

What Cliff said....

BigGrizzly
07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
There you have it boys the man with the bench mark 16 has spoken.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
hey guys this thread is about the adding of tabs on a 16 not an 18 or a 22 or another deep vee :propeller:

let's try and stay on point here :p

I think you are missing the point by trying to be insulting instead of gleaning the advice of thousands of hours of boating experience from some of the members here - including me. My point is that every deep V hulled boat including the 16' Donzi benefits from the addition of trim tabs for the wide range of uses they provide. Again - my two cents, Bill

Sweet little 16
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
sorry your right, that response might seem insulting but that's why I added the little smiley at the end, so now I'll sit back and learn something

MOP
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
The point I have been trying to make is tabs make our boats do several things better from cruising speeds on down, I like almost everyone do not us any tab at higher speeds just plain don't need them. By myself I need no tab at any time with the exception of running at idle in a tight creek to make the boat run dead straight hands off the wheel. I need a tiny touch at cruise mid 40's when Bonnie is riding shot gun. I and many others like having full control of our boats, I use my boat for play and also for carting my customers they need to feel as secure and comfortable as possible. Most of my runs with clients are 30-50 miles round trip in shallow bays, if the weather turns I run in short deep chop I must have a boat that will do what I want and need.

Phil

BigGrizzly
07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
OK now we are back on track... My opinion is they help if you can afford it and have the time to do it. In my case our 16 does not have them and the sister doesn't want to spend the money. I was out last weekend in the Corsican and Criterion with some of my son's friends showing off. any way Criterion twice and Corsican none. I actually figured it was going to be the other way, OH well.

smokediver
07-04-2008, 05:12 PM
does a 16 NEED tabs ? Nope ... Do they come in handy from time to time ? YOU BET ! For mid range cruising , pulling a skier , they are great and I used them a lot on mine ...