PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp up

kenny ellis
06-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Guys,
I ran my 18 classic yesterday and noticed my eng temp higher than usual.
I'm guessing impeller as I have not changed it since owning the boat, '99.
I have the '85 350 300 hp Tempest. It's got the pump below the top pulley of the motor. Is there a way to check/replace the impeller w/o full removal of the pump?
PS MOP, thanks for the specs.

VetteLT193
06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
The tempest didn't come with the Alpha 1 with the raw water pump in the drive?

Carpe Donzi
06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
What was the temperature? Fully warmed, my 5.7 SBC runs 165 at 1500-2000 rpm, and 175 at 3,500 cruise.

kenny ellis
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm usually at 180.
It was running about 210 and the lake hasn't heated up down here yet.

MOP
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
My 22 came from the factory with a Tempest/alpha combo, as far as I know all Tempests came this way there was no Bravo option. Sounds like yours have the inboard pump. It is pretty easy remove the 3 bolts two in the main bracket and the one on the adjusting arm, pull the pump forward and mark the hoses so you don't get the on backwards later. Loosen the two hose clamps and wiggle the pump out, going back reverse the above. It will come out in 15-20 and go back in about 25-35 minutes. Impeller is about $30!

Phil

MOP
06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
You will have chunks of rubber in the oil cooler, pull the back hose off then back flush it with the hose.

VetteLT193
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
'standard' inboard pumps on merc engines are usually not centerline ( I know gcarter and others have set theirs up differently though)

Can you post a pic? Usually the raw water pump is in the lower half of the Alpha... totally separate device than the engine water pump

MOP
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Boy I did not read the post correctly!!! Yes on a crank pump leave it in place remove the cover screws then take two small screw drivers one from each side of the impeller and pry it out. When you put the new impeller in make sure the vanes tips face the stbd side.

Phil

BigGrizzly
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I have seen many Tempest and Alpha combo but no tempest and Bravo combo, stock that is. Next I have also seen many Alphas wit a second raw water pump on the engine.

RedDog
07-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Kenny needs to chime back in. It almost sounds like he is describing the recirculation pump rather than a sea water pump?

The impeller in the Alpha sea water pump needs to be replaced

VetteLT193
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Kenny needs to chime back in. It almost sounds like he is describing the recirculation pump rather than a sea water pump?
The impeller in the Alpha sea water pump needs to be replaced

That's what I'm thinking too

kenny ellis
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I was getting confused. That's what usually happens when I'm out of my league. I had changed out impellers on boats before but seemed like
it was just a inspection plate covering the impeller on the water pump at the front of my engine. This was many years ago, I can't remember which boat it might have been.
I took it too my boat repair guy, I'm going by this afternoon to see what he thinks.
I'll post later to let you know what he did.
PS It's a 350 Merc. 300 HP Tempest with a Alpha One.
Thanks for everyones help

VetteLT193
07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I was getting confused. That's what usually happens when I'm out of my league. I had changed out impellers on boats before but seemed like
it was just a inspection plate covering the impeller on the water pump at the front of my engine. This was many years ago, I can't remember which boat it might have been.
I took it too my boat repair guy, I'm going by this afternoon to see what he thinks.
I'll post later to let you know what he did.
PS It's a 350 Merc. 300 HP Tempest with a Alpha One.
Thanks for everyones help

I agree, it isn't that hard... you just follow a step by step procedure. It's really easy to get the lower half of the drive off, pretty easy to change the impeller out, and kind of a pain to get the lower back on... it usually takes a few attempts. But, the job isn't rocket science. If you can work regular hand tools you are good to go.

cutwater
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Get rid of it, use a crossover ;) :) :D

I'll second that!