PDA

View Full Version : Got a present coming for the 16.....

Donziweasel
06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Got a amazing deal on this engine, full one year warranty, never installed, dyno- 390 horse, 425 ft torque. Should be here next week.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=47

smbarcelow
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice! I can't wait to hear how it performs.

The Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Got a amazing deal on this engine, full one year warranty, never installed, dyno- 390 horse, 425 ft torque. Should be here next week.
http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=47

That ought to get your attention! That sounds like a cool project.

Tony
06-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Swap out your Alpha...for a Volvo.

:beer:

BUIZILLA
06-30-2008, 04:26 PM
why?

Donziweasel
06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Keeping the Alpha. With altitude, I will lose 78 of those ponies. Alpha should be fine for 310-320. Engine is dressed except for starter, alt, and water pump. Anyone need a 350 with minor mods and 260 hours?

BTW Buiz, why did I get the engine or why switch to Volvo?

Thanks Hedgehog. BTW, the Snake has been over 21,000 for over 2 weeks. Been a good year, but not dangerous, although there have been a few "incidents". Buddy of mine flipped a 14 ft boat 2 days ago and another one endoed a 14 ft boat Sat. Will try and get a pic.

The Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Keeping the Alpha. With altitude, I will lose 78 of those ponies. Alpha should be fine for 310-320. Engine is dressed except for starter, alt, and water pump. Anyone need a 350 with minor mods and 260 hours?
BTW Buiz, why did I get the engine or why switch to Volvo?
Thanks Hedgehog. BTW, the Snake has been over 21,000 for over 2 weeks. Been a good year, but not dangerous, although there have been a few "incidents". Buddy of mine flipped a 14 ft boat 2 days ago and another one endoed a 14 ft boat Sat. Will try and get a pic.

The Snake sounds good right now. I need bigger water. It takes two people jumping on the bow of a raft to get an ender in flipper on the Ocoee. Tex and I will probably go hit that in a day two.

smokediver
06-30-2008, 09:07 PM
you might wanna put the HD gearset in the alpha ...:yes:

MOP
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Shame I sold the Blackhawk that would have made an excellent combo!

The Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 09:23 PM
why?

So he can have a massive amount of drag on a 16 that has a very conservative X-dim and give up a few mph. But it ought to have a good cruise.

I am very impressed that someone can pull low 70's out of that drive though and do think it is a good product.

I would hang with the alpha and check into the SS setup that these guys are discussing. An alpha SS with HD gears would be the ticket.

BigGrizzly
07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Just put the engine in and enjoy it if it breaks then fix it or upgrade. I am surprised how much crap the alpha will take before breaking. ONE CHANGE AT A TIME! Good Luck with the motor. Remember if you make it out here for Eufaula you have a seat in one of my boats.

Donziweasel
07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks Randy, my Alpha is in good shape. I was turning 4800 rpms with a 19 pitch Vengence this year on my old setup @54 mph (2 mph less than the Turbo you lent me last year). Will need prop with the xtra power. What do you think? 21 pitch turbo?

The Hedgehog
07-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Randy, my Alpha is in good shape. I was turning 4800 rpms with a 19 pitch Vengence this year on my old setup @54 mph (2 mph less than the Turbo you lent me last year). Will need prop with the xtra power. What do you think? 21 pitch turbo?

What is your gear ratio?

BigGrizzly
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
With the new motor we may be up to a 23 but we need to see how strong it really is. We have the prop thing covered. I may have something special for your application.

Sam
07-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Sounds like a nice package but I'm confused :confused:, looking at the dyno chart the numbers are like you said. Looking at the specs the numbers don't match........hmmmmmm?

" Critical Specs:
Camshaft:
.462 intake & .477 ehaust lift, 218 intake & 224 exhaust duration @ .050 - 112 degrees lobe sep.

Horsepower:

Torque:

Maybe the "Critcal Specs" are more of a guide line ? it wouldn't hurt to ask. Are they going to send you a the recorded pulls from the dyno. It would be interesting to do a desk top dyno just for giggles knowing full well the it's the numbers that count.

Have fun !

Donziweasel
07-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Every Blueprint engine is dynoed. Mine comes with it's own sheet and came in at 379 and 410 ft torque. Jegs and other crate engine sellers of this engine claim 395.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+324341&D=324341

Got mine for half the price of the new one at Jegs or Summit.

MOP
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
So he can have a massive amount of drag on a 16 that has a very conservative X-dim and give up a few mph. But it ought to have a good cruise.
I am very impressed that someone can pull low 70's out of that drive though and do think it is a good product.
I would hang with the alpha and check into the SS setup that these guys are discussing. An alpha SS with HD gears would be the ticket.

100% agree! With no X change would be waste, but setup right it would be a blast! Rootsy did very well with his SS, his was fast enough to stain your shorts!

BigGrizzly
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Rootsey did great. However he had a bunch of power. I remember him saying that with his tall friend he lost 2 or more MPH. the Power of DW's wasn't close to Rootsey's. There is another issue. they don't make the SS anymore. I am not totally sold on the X dimension thing yet even after 40 years. I like to keep the engine low and a deeper drive for rougher conditions. If I were to do it I would do a bravo and a shorty or a Imco extream and spacers so I could return to the deeper drive if I cared to. Some boats bennifit as much as 10 MPH and some don't gain anything. I remember MOP sayi ng a friend put a ss on and got 0 gain but did it for depth reasons. For ME its easier to plug more HP in a motor than raise the engine or do the drive thing. BTW do you guys Know how much more strain the shorter adds to the lower gears. It is a bunch because of the in and out of the water situation. At Honda 90% of the gear case failures were on Jacked up engines from gear failures to seal failures. I am not even including the solid hub issue. Some of the fastest bots on the registry have shorty drives the rest don't. I know of a board member that has a 76+ MPH 18 with a 383 that has the deepest drive ever a TRS on it. One more point Props on high X dimension boats differ than deeper drives, because they are bordering on the surface drive situation.

Donziweasel
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Rootsy had WAY more power than 310hp and went over 80. I am just looking to break 60+. You have to remember, I will lose 78 hp due to altitude. While 16's only come now with the 5.0L Merc at 250 hp as the biggest engine, mine should run pretty nice.

I am only giong to have this boat two, maybe three more summer. Raising the X is just too much work right now. Alpha's can handle way more power than 310, although Merc only rates them to 300.

Randy, I will run it and see what it does with the 19 Vengence. I am sure it will tack very high, but this will give us a base to work from with the Turbo. Thanks for helping. I would like to see this engine turn 5000-5200 rpm. Peak torque is around 4500-4600 on this engine and peak hp is arund 5200. I couldn't get my old engine, even with the mods, over 4700 (54 mph Vengence, 56 Mph Turbo) on a 19 pitch.

BigGrizzly
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
DW we have you covered. In you situation, I need to send you several options that need to be tested same day same load. While at Honda we learned that in your area that air density is very variable as is the Reno area. This new motor may surprise you.
I think you are making the right decision on not changing the out drive or X dimension. In your situation I feel there will be no gain. Just to set the record straight, I know Rootsey and have run with him. He did a great job. He is a very capable real engineer with a passion for safe speed. It took him a long time to get where he was. Most people on this board haven't any Idea whats entailed in that project I have talked to him for hours on our respective boats and engines. Point of this is your doing fine. Build the boat for you not the board. We will do the best we can to get you to 60+

osur866
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
What Grizz said about the X, we played with many props at AOTH and am still playing with a couple others as of now, but in the long run I will probably be playing the spacer game soon, Oh I have actually lost a couple as of date with the -2 do to increased prop slip not to mention what it did to the handling, but I recall another board member telling me this would happen with stock power, but I was too stuborn to listen, I haven't given up on the higher X but it is requiring a lot of work, time, and $ to seem to get it right and am still working with it after almost 20 hrs. with the shorty on the boat. Just some thoughts Steve

Donziweasel
07-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Raising an X is a lot of work, especailly if you can only boat 3 months a year and are not keeping it that much longer. The fun thing is that next year if I can get to AOTH or Powell, boat should have most of it ponies and with jetting and a prop, should run close to 70.

Once again, thanks for setting me up Randy and the advice Steve. Hopefully it will get here next week and I can swap em' out.

BigGrizzly
07-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I will tell you, this. If you come to Cumberland with that boat I will loan you a prop for that weekend, so you don't have to buy one. Cumberland is about 300 above sea level unless the dam breaks.:wink: I have no doubt I will have the correct prop for your boat there.

Donziweasel
07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Be interesting to see what she would run at Cumberland with all 380 hp vs. 310. Thanks for the loaner offer for AOTH. We are planning on making a big road trip back east next spring and AOTH is our first stop. As for Eufala this year, it is real hard to get away right now. We started const on the Lazy P Ranch, have to go back and forth to Denver for the next few months, have family and freinds visiting, etc... Just think we are going to be very busy for the next 10 months until the Ranch is done.

kramsay1234
07-04-2008, 10:28 AM
For what its worth, I have been running an Alpha on my 23 Scarab with a built 400 small block with 400 hp for over 10 years now. No failures and it has taken that boat as high as 67mph on my GPS. You will be fine. I never beat the boat though and just watch coming out of the water with it. The re-entry will kill the drive. Under normal use it will have no problems.

Donziweasel
07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Scott, got one? SS are getting hard to find and parts even harder. Would love to slap one on though if I could find one. Almost 400 hp and an SS would be a nice setup on a 16. Then what? Cleaver?

Sam
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I'll keep my eye open for an SS for ya :wink:. I see them from time to time but you have to act fast once you find one, they don't last long.

Donziweasel
07-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Then find me one......:wink:

Donziweasel
07-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Do you have one for borrow or rent?:smash:

Rootsy
07-07-2008, 06:53 AM
John,

You cannot use an Alpha SS on your 16 without doing modifications to the transom assembly.