PDA

View Full Version : carter-weber carb choke question

mike o
06-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi, my 4.3lx on my 95 sweet 16 starts hard when cold. I have to pump the crap out of it to start it when cold. When its warm it starts right up and the boat runs great. It appears the choke plate dosent close when cold . Its a carter - webber 4 barrel. Theres a linkage rod ( that I think operates the choke plate when cold), on the drivers side of the carb that goes down toward the intake manifold thats covered by a tin cover, fastened by a phillips screw that I removed. I tried to carefull remove the tin cover to try to see how this mechanical choke works... but it didnt pop right off . I didnt want to mess anything up.... so I put the screw back. Is there a heat senitive spring in (down) there that operates this choke thats failed .Thanks, Michael

MOP
06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
The spring gets tired, it may need replacement, but try this first! Remove the air filter, push the choke plate down to see if it springs back fairly well. If it does get two pairs of common pliers bent the rod a little at a time until when you press on the choke plate you fell "SLIGHT" pressure holding it closed. THe other option is to remove the srcew, take a pin punch and "TAP" along the base to get the spring assy loose. They tend to marry the iron over time, if you break it no big deal the new one comes complete and is a standard Chevy part 1/2 the price of marine!!!

Phil

mike o
06-29-2008, 07:32 PM
The spring gets tired, it may need replacement, but try this first! Remove the air filter, push the choke plate down to see if it springs back fairly well. If it does get two pairs of common pliers bent the rod a little at a time until when you press on the choke plate you fell "SLIGHT" pressure holding it closed. THe other option is to remove the srcew, take a pin punch and "TAP" along the base to get the spring assy loose. They tend to marry the iron over time, if you break it no big deal the new one comes complete and is a standard Chevy part 1/2 the price of marine!!!

Phil
Option 2 did the trick. Added a shot of wd -40. Thank you very much

MOP
06-29-2008, 09:57 PM
:):)