PDA

View Full Version : wave crusher

zelatore
06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Out at Powell watching the 28 ZX run nice and smooth I started to think I needed something a little bigger, so I traded my 22 Classic for this 28 Albin.

It's a little slower, but it rides nice! I think I may need a bigger truck though...

zelatore
06-28-2008, 02:22 PM
OK, maybe not.

Actually that's a 28 Albin that we recently sold. It's being delivered to Gaum, and I used my truck to tow it about 3 miles to the Matson shipping terminal as there was no way our company 1/2 ton van with an open dif was ever going to get it out of the water.

And yes....I'm sure I'm over my towing limit! I'm not sure on the trailer weight, but it's a steel triple axle. I'm guessing total weight between 10 and 11,000 lbs. Way more than I'd want to tow with any regularity, regardless of what truck I had.

cutwater
06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Did you say tripple axle?? :nilly: Let me guess... the trailer does 168 mph - without a tow vehicle? :wink:

zelatore
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
<grumble, mutter> where's my spell checker...? <grumble, edit>

There, that's better...all fixed!

On this particular trip, the loaded trailer didn't get much over about 30 mph...can't say what it does when I'm not hooked to it!

f_inscreenname
06-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like you are marina bound or to buy a monster truck (gas hog) just to pull it. There aint no worse feeling then your boat pushing you down the road.
And I'm not going to say anything about low tide, a steep ramp and a empty bed, pick up truck. :eek!:

zelatore
06-28-2008, 04:35 PM
We've only put a few of these on trailers as they are really too big to tow any distance. The boat comes in at 7500 dry. Add 160 gal of diesel, 30 gal of water, the usual fishing gear, plus the weight of a trailer and you're going to be over 10,000 in no time. Plus the boat is 10' wide and being an inboard with a full skeg, it has to sit really high on the trailer to clear the ground (note in the photo we've taken the small radar arch and antennas off for extra clearance). Heck, the boats don't even come with a bow eye - we have to put on in for the few who try to tow them.

And yet people always ask...

When they do, I usually start by asking them what sort of truck they have. (you'd be surprised at some of the answers, like a Toyota SUV - these people have no idea...:eek!:) Anything less than a 3/4 and I tell 'em to forget it. If they've got the truck, then I mention that the boat may look small in my marina surrounded by yachts, but it will look HUGE on a trailer behind your truck!

This particular boat is being shipped to the buyer's home in Guam. He only plans to tow it about 10 miles a year to store it on-shore during the storm season. It was a used trailer we had on-hand that we had used to move boats to shows, so he got it at a pretty good price and it made shipping the boat much easier since we could just haul it right to the ship and no cradle had to be built.

As for pulling it out at low tide...I had a bit of that this time. We have a free ramp only a block from the office that's nicely grooved for traction. Unfortunately, it sort of levels out toward the end of the ramp. Being pretty low tide, I had the truck half way in the water but it wasn't getting any deeper. I actually got into the turbo on the boat powering it on. :)

Carl C
06-28-2008, 06:03 PM
<grumble, mutter> where's my spell checker...? <grumble, edit>

triple digits You did it again........

The Hedgehog
06-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Add a pad, some steps, more hp and you will be done!

That had to be a very odd feeling trailering that big boat.

cutwater
06-28-2008, 10:08 PM
You did it again........

Haha... I won't get really scared until I see Tripple and Chime in the same post :wink:.

Donzi Vol
06-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Haha... I won't get really scared until I see Tripple and Chime in the same post :wink:.

When my tripple is done I hope it doesn't do a chime walk. There ya go!

zelatore
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
You did it again........

I think it would be easier to just call the guys at Webster's and get the dictionary ‘fixed’...:doh: