PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

wickedfast
06-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I just bought this boat. The previous owner said it is a Donzi Cobra. It is a 32' twin outboard that he said is a Kevlar hull, one of 2 made in 1980. Hitting the hull it doesn't sound like fiberglass and it seems lighter than my 27 Magnum sport. The other hull may have been destroyed in a fire. Supposed to originally be bought by Ted Turner. He indicated there was a plate on the front of the transom well that said Donzi but it had deteriorated and fell off. The hull number is COB 32P815XX, making me think it is a Cobra (formerly Cary?).

Any info would be appreciated.

superhatz
06-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah....a Cobra.....same as Cary, I think you're right......smae as Don's original "Cigarette" too....(pretty sure).

Let's see the 27 Sport.....:)

BUIZILLA
06-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah....a Cobra.....same as Cary, I think you're right......smae as Don's original "Cigarette" too....(pretty sure). I don't think that shear line style is indicitive of a 32' Cary..

but, I could be wrong..

LKSD
06-29-2008, 11:32 AM
The lines do look somewhat similar to the old 28 cig & a little like a Cary.. Interesting find.. :propeller:

On a different note is that a 30 tilt tounge trailer! ? :shocking:

J

lars
06-30-2008, 04:36 AM
I just bought this boat. The previous owner said it is a Donzi Cobra. It is a 32' twin outboard that he said is a Kevlar hull, one of 2 made in 1980. Hitting the hull it doesn't sound like fiberglass and it seems lighter than my 27 Magnum sport. The other hull may have been destroyed in a fire. Supposed to originally be bought by Ted Turner. He indicated there was a plate on the front of the transom well that said Donzi but it had deteriorated and fell off. The hull number is COB 32P815XX, making me think it is a Cobra (formerly Cary?).
Any info would be appreciated.
You got a stretched 28' Magnum with a Paolo Caliri deck design, it was called the 32' Cobra. This boat was a creation by Sean-Claude Simon per Charlie McCarthy. After Simon did this design he went to McCarty.
Charlie McCarthy of Banana Boat fame started the collaboration with Frenchman Sean-Claude Simon in the late 70's. Here's a link to a thread on Screamandfly.com regarding a 1982 sisterboat of yours (picture below).
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116075&highlight=coyote
A second quote;
Originally Posted by Top Banana (Charlie McCarthy)
"The first boat out of that 38 foot mold was my race boat Top Banana. Jean Claude and I worked together to design that boat with the idea that we could both pull 38's and smaller boats out of the same mold.
The last 4 feet of the mold was built in such a way that it could be blocked and a 34 foot boat could be made from it. Jean Claude called his a 34 Coyote and I called mine a 33 Banana, but they were both exactly the same boat.
Photo 1 shows the 34 foot Gone Bananas carrying both of our brands, Coyote and Banana. Photo 2 shows the 38 foot Top Banana winning the Bushmills race in California.
You can see the foundation of the Sonic lines in both hull and deck."
Sean-Claude Simon sold his molds to Sonic in the early 80's.
Here's some further reading on the Banana/Cobra/Coyote history from the great web-page about the Banana Boat Co.
http://www.bananaboatco.com/companyheritage.htm

lars
06-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Heck I just realized that these are not sisters, it's got to be the same girl?:confused:

Morgan's Cloud
06-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Heck I just realized that these are not sisters, it's got to be the same girl?:confused:

AND the same trailer ! ! :tongue:

As soon as I saw the deck I thought of the old 'Beep Beep"

wickedfast
06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the information on the boat. It is very helpful. I still need to figure out some things. The registration provided with the boat has a state-issued hull number (with matching sticker on the stern) and has the boat as a 1980 not a 1982 like it might be.

Is it possible that it has a Kevlar hull?

lars
06-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the information on the boat. It is very helpful. I still need to figure out some things. The registration provided with the boat has a state-issued hull number (with matching sticker on the stern) and has the boat as a 1980 not a 1982 like it might be.
Is it possible that it has a Kevlar hull?
Dear Cobra owner,
I suggest You join Historic Offshore Race Boat Association, www.horba.com . Mr. Charlie McCarthy is the managing director himself. You will be glad You joined and will have the opportunity to learn a lot from living legends like McCarthy and others. :yes:

lars
06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Got the info from the www.offshoreonly.com forum .
" 08-24-2006, 01:02 AM #70
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by galeforce22
these are the hull numbers.. COB32P81582* was really hard to get a title here in mass. the environmentals had to come out and issue me a new hull number cause the old one didnt have enuff numbers.. pain in the ... but i did get it done so ..if anyone knows how to find original owners through hull id please let me kno. i ran merc numbers and came up with a local guy named Ted Turner but i dont know if he was original owner from beginning and he didnt help as much as i wanted. i want original pics so i can restore. to perf. thanx...
I rigged your Cobra as a new boat in 1983 at Ted Jones Sundance Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. Sundance in those years was an extremely Mercury Hi-Performance outboard driven rig shop & race headquarters for most all the Mercury Hi-Perf outboard powered offshore raceboats running the circuit at the time, not to mention Champ & SST 120 tunnel boats, as well as 100 m.p.h. plus bass boats. We also were working with Mercury Hi-Performance Factory Race Division testing many experimental outboards, some that came to market, some that did'nt. Your Cobra is a converted sterndrive boat with, the then new, brown stripe 1984 twin 200 carbureted Mercury's. We built it as just a pleasure boat, for Ted Jones uncle, Ted Turner(no relation), who was a successful stock market analyst. The name we had Billy Schwartz, a local creative boat painter, paint on both hull sides was "Bull And Bear", with an actual bull and bear included in the name. You might still see evidence of this(?). I do know that Ted Turner himself, owned the boat for at least 20 years. Hope this helps. Ed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ed : 08-24-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Ed
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Ed
Add Ed to Your Buddy List
08-24-2006, 11:24 AM #71
galeforce22
Registered
are you kidding ed i can see bull and bear on the side of hull..... wow thats awesome. wish you had original pics or some thing.. really thanx alot . i can still see it says sundance marine a little too. do you remember top speed back then?? "
Here's the link. Lot's of other nice reading on the Cobra/Coyote subject. Chatim Racing is Charlie McCarty Jr.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137736&highlight=norris&page=4
P.S. Don't miss the in detail thread Charlie Jr. refers to! D.S.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88178&highlight=coyote

BlownCrewCab
07-01-2008, 07:48 AM
As soon as I saw the deck I thought of the old 'Beep Beep"[/quote]

I'm supprised that the "Beep Beep" wasn't among the Coyote's that they showed on that site.

I got to ride in it as a kid. Big Fun!!!!

olredalert
07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
-------Wow!!! This is funny. Teddy Turner and I go back almost to childhood. I knew that boat well. was on it and raced against it (just friendly stuff) many times. He loved that boat. I just didnt recognize the pics. Hes from Osterville, Mass and is one of the good guys. He was part owner of a co. in Florida at one point that made stern brackets, I believe. We both went to the same "quasi" naval academy (Tabor) in different years..........Bill S

wickedfast
07-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks a lot for all of your interesting comments on the Cobra. I got both engines pretty well synchronized last night and hope to take it out this weekend. I have a feeling she will be a heck of a ride.

lars
07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Have a great 4Th and hook up with HOBRA. For good tech. advice and to keep the outboard spirit high I recomend the www.screamandfly.com forum. There's plenty of outboard folks exchanging knowledge there :drive: