PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gauge Bezels

rtgogo
06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Please let me know your tricks to installing Livorsi gauge bezels around Graffig II gauges in a 22zx. Removed the dash panel today, looks like a lot of wires..just wondering how difficult it really is as long as I can get all the wires back to the same place they started.........thanks!

roadtrip se
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Easiest way, take masking tape, write numbers and attach to each wire, in the sequence you take them off and from which post. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. This is the way I have done it a couple of times. Just did it to put on stainless bezels. Beats tracking down a short.

kramsay1234
06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I am about to do guage bezels on my 22ZX. Just thought that was funny. They will look great. Post up a pic when you are done. I still have to order mine.

MOP
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
This should help a bit!
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13E4R2.PDF

harbormaster
06-27-2008, 02:28 AM
The whole key here is to relax and take your time doing it. One gauge at a time. If you have a digital camera, shoot some photos of the underside of your dash from different angles to insure you can see everything. In the event of a gotcha you have the photos to fall back on. We use this trick even when disassembling a customer's engine that has a custom wiring configuration.

rtgogo
06-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys. Kinda what i figured "take your time, label the wires, shoot photos". Makes me feel a litle better knowing i was on the right track. This will finish up my interior overhaul...post pics after the holiday weekend!

kramsay........make sure you buy the "thin" bezels. I bought the "flat" one's and had to return them when i figured out they would overlap the dash panel.

thanks!

Donzi LG
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
They'll look great when you're done!! Just take your time one gauge at a time...

John

VetteLT193
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Installing bezels is a mild form of torture with a positive outcome.

It's also a job that requires a 6 pack. Good luck, they will look great when you are finished!

rtgogo
06-27-2008, 06:30 PM
sunscreen will be plentiful in my day journey!

Donzi LG...funny you chimed in....I was inspired by photos of your "bling" long ago...you can take credit for my recent torement on this wave of the adventure...

The Hedgehog
06-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Donzi LG has a beautiful 22ZX.

We will need some pics or your Robert. I have no doubt that you will pimp out correctly.

Here is a pic of some of mine going in the 26ZX with a custom carbon fiber panel done by Young Performance. The pics don't do it justice. I will have more in a day.

Donzigo
06-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Thos is how it looks after you take your time and do it right.

BigGrizzly
06-28-2008, 08:32 AM
All I have to say, is all of the jobs there is to do this is the easy one, time consuming but logical. The only thing that is easier is replacing rub rail screws.

Donzi LG
06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey thanks guys. Robert you'll love how they look when done. After the first one is done you'll be motivated to keep going! Instant improvement in looks. I can't wait to see the pics.

John

gcarter
06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I've kicked around the idea of using Molex connectors on the gauges.
Easy in, easy out.
In some areas, it could be a corrosion issue.

VetteLT193
06-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I've kicked around the idea of using Molex connectors on the gauges.
Easy in, easy out.
In some areas, it could be a corrosion issue.

that's a great idea. are you talking about the standard RJ style, or another style molex? I'm not sure if the RJxx style connectors have thick enough wire

gcarter
06-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Gosh, I'm no Molex expert. I just go to Radio Shack and find one w/the right # of pins. If your careful, most will accept 14-16 AWG wire.
On the Minx, I used them for a number of low amperage accessories, like the fuel pump.

VetteLT193
06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Gosh, I'm no Molex expert. I just go to Radio Shack and find one w/the right # of pins. If your careful, most will accept 14-16 AWG wire.
On the Minx, I used them for a number of low amperage accessories, like the fuel pump.

sorry, that was the computer nerd coming out in me and I didn't even realize it. You would figure I'd leave all that BS at the office after programming all week :smash:

rtgogo
06-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm gunna do well to get the wires connected back where they came from!!!

BigGrizzly
07-01-2008, 08:26 AM
rtgogo, you have the right idea. Do not re invent the wheel, it won't role any better.

kramsay1234
07-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Just noticed this on the "thin" bezels. For anyone else that did this on a 22ZX, were you able to move the guages a little and use the regular bezels or did you order the thin bezels for all the guages? Thanks. I ordered them yesterday, but may be able to change before shipping if I find out I need all thin ones...

Thanks guys. Kinda what i figured "take your time, label the wires, shoot photos". Makes me feel a litle better knowing i was on the right track. This will finish up my interior overhaul...post pics after the holiday weekend!

kramsay........make sure you buy the "thin" bezels. I bought the "flat" one's and had to return them when i figured out they would overlap the dash panel.

thanks!

Donzi LG
07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Kevin, I suggest going for the thin bezels. The gauges don't have a lot of room to move and they are close together. I believe the standard width bezels will also overlap the dash panel screws around the speedo. The thin ones will work perfectly.

John

rtgogo
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Woke up at the break of dawn to get em installed before the sun burned me up. I DID IT. Will post pics later. Looks really nice! You have to have the thin bezels, the regular flat ones will not fit!

kramsay1234
07-04-2008, 04:52 PM
bring on the pics. Congrats on the install!

rtgogo
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I added some color to the interior....Lil billet bling and carpet go a long way...........Photos of my progress are attached. Thanks to all of you for guiding me through the dark.

kramsay1234
07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Looks awesome. I want that shifter you have in blue. Where did you get it and how much??? Great job on the bling. I will post when mine come in and I install.

rtgogo
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I ordered it from Fred at Livorsi. I try to forget the cost, but think a few guys on this board can get it cheaper than what I paid retail. Only other option I considered was the dual lever setup from Dana. Make sure you include the polished plate to cover up the hole where the stock merc piece mounts. It doesn't come with a kill switch so I customized the plate. I also remember there being a linkage converter kit sold seperately that was needed to hook it up to the stock lines.

Donzi LG
07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Outstanding!! Great job, looks awesome. Excellent bling factor!

The Hedgehog
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Looks awesome. I want that shifter you have in blue. Where did you get it and how much??? Great job on the bling. I will post when mine come in and I install.

I have one in the blue on my X-18. I will see if I can dig up a pic. Nice piece of equipment. It would go great on your 22ZX

The Hedgehog
07-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice job Robert. You really woke up that 22. Very nice looking boat.

kramsay1234
07-06-2008, 11:19 PM
A pic would be great. I am used to the dual controls, so hate the stock shifter. The upgrades are pricey though, but look so much better...

I have one in the blue on my X-18. I will see if I can dig up a pic. Nice piece of equipment. It would go great on your 22ZX

kramsay1234
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Oh, and Donzi LG helped me locate the bezel for the 12 volt acces. plug, but I am still looking for the bezel for the bennett tab switch. Where did yours come from?

I added some color to the interior....Lil billet bling and carpet go a long way...........Photos of my progress are attached. Thanks to all of you for guiding me through the dark.

rtgogo
07-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Pretty sure I got it from Eddie Marine. They sell the bezel with or without the switches. I had to cut the base of my switches with a dremel to get it to fit right within the bezel, but really makes a huge improvement in looks over the black plastic Bennett cover.

Donzi LG
07-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Kevin, I'm going to find my receipt and I'll try to search on a part number for you...

John

Donzi LG
07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I found my receipt and searched by part number and no luck. Searched extensively with no luck. Maybe Eddie no longer carries them.

rtgogo
07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Try Eddie Marine part # SP-119Y. The last letter is the color, mine was yellow so you need to change that when ordering if you want blue or something else. This is the part # for the face plate only without the switches.

kramsay1234
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. Was in touch with Chris at Eddie Marine and they do still have the tab cover. He asked if I want it engraved. I figure may as well get "BOW DOWN" at the top like the bennett one at least. Price seems reasonable at $26.25.

The Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys. Was in touch with Chris at Eddie Marine and they do still have the tab cover. He asked if I want it engraved. I figure may as well get "BOW DOWN" at the top like the bennett one at least. Price seems reasonable at $26.25.

That is cheap. If you need any custom stuff done, I have a guy that is very reasonable. He did mine in the X and the ZX.

I know that it is summer, but what are you thinking about for mods to the 502. That is a great platform for more hp.:wink:

rtgogo
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
kramsay,
You'll need four new stainless screws to attach the buttons to the billet. The one's in the stock cover are not long enough and have a countersunk head that sticks up off the new piece. I also had to grind out some of the dash with a dremel to get the piece to fit flush and line up with one of the old screw holes to allow enough new glass on the dash for drillin the other three corners. I had to make a few trips to the hardware store before I got all this right and figured I'd try to save you some headache. Good luck...really adds some pop to the dash.

kramsay1234
07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I am leaning heavily toward a procharger in my future. I want to keep the silent choice option and if I am going to spend money chasing mph, I may as well go all the way with it. Likely nothing will happen with it this season as I will just enjoy my low 70's boat and then change from there. The procharger I found used for sale I didn't feel comfortable with so I will keep my eyes open for a used setup from a reputable place that I know works (maybe something currently installed on a boat before I get it) so that I know I am not buying a headache. Otherwise will have to go new, but not looking to spend that much in my quest for speed.

The boat will run like a champ with the blower though and just make a mockery of most else in that size range which would be fun. I don't get to go boating that much so I like the thrill and the fun of making something unique but reliable for when I do want to use it.

That is cheap. If you need any custom stuff done, I have a guy that is very reasonable. He did mine in the X and the ZX.

I know that it is summer, but what are you thinking about for mods to the 502. That is a great platform for more hp.:wink:

kramsay1234
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Much appreciated. Perhaps some pm's in your future when it arrives. Thanks again.

kramsay,
You'll need four new stainless screws to attach the buttons to the billet. The one's in the stock cover are not long enough and have a countersunk head that sticks up off the new piece. I also had to grind out some of the dash with a dremel to get the piece to fit flush and line up with one of the old screw holes to allow enough new glass on the dash for drillin the other three corners. I had to make a few trips to the hardware store before I got all this right and figured I'd try to save you some headache. Good luck...really adds some pop to the dash.

The Hedgehog
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I am leaning heavily toward a procharger in my future. I want to keep the silent choice option and if I am going to spend money chasing mph, I may as well go all the way with it. Likely nothing will happen with it this season as I will just enjoy my low 70's boat and then change from there. The procharger I found used for sale I didn't feel comfortable with so I will keep my eyes open for a used setup from a reputable place that I know works (maybe something currently installed on a boat before I get it) so that I know I am not buying a headache. Otherwise will have to go new, but not looking to spend that much in my quest for speed.

The boat will run like a champ with the blower though and just make a mockery of most else in that size range which would be fun. I don't get to go boating that much so I like the thrill and the fun of making something unique but reliable for when I do want to use it.

Blower = Fun

If it is not blown then it sucks!

rtgogo
07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Come on Bill.....
I was grinnin ear to ear this past weekend and the only blower i got ain't attached to that motor!!

I realize I'm not in your league of power...but don't go beatin me down in my own thread!:eek!:

:cool:

The Hedgehog
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Come on Bill.....
I was grinnin ear to ear this past weekend and the only blower i got ain't attached to that motor!!

I realize I'm not in your league of power...but don't go beatin me down in my own thread!:eek!:

:cool:

Easy there Robert. I was just funning with the blower comment!

Enjoy what you got. Don't kid yourself, you got a fast boat and should be proud! I rode in Tex's boat one too many times and could not help myself.

I got tied up but the speedo stuff went out today. If you don't get it in a few days let me know and we can track it.

Once again, nice looking 22

rtgogo
07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Gotcha...thanks...just figured I had to spark back on that one liner.....I'll get my donation inta the cause...

kramsay1234
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Have the main bezels on and have the blue LED bulbs in the gauges. Makes a big difference with the bezels. My Bennett tab bezel and 12 volt socket bezel, etc. are on the way hopefully this week. My LED bulbs for my compass don't work. They keep causing fuses to blow, so will have to see about that. Also, ordered my new Gaffrig II speedo and then am on the fence about getting a GPS speedo. Either way, I will always have the matching Gaffrig II if I want to see some really good speeds...

kramsay1234
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Here is the near finished product with the exception of getting the Blue LED for the compass gauage and replacing the Speedo that I broke trying to fix...Thanks to everyone for their input on the suppliers and pictures to help me decide what "bling" I wanted to add. Maybe a Livorsi shifter in my future and GPS speedo...

Couple questions/comments:

rtgogo - your bezel for your 12 volt socket looks to be a perfect fit for the style of outlet we have. The one I got doesn't have the black socket sit flush or almost be recessed into the bezel like yours seems to. It also doesn't quite fit with the contour of where the 12 volt outlet is mounted as its not pefectly flat there. Wondered if you had a part number so I can compare it to what I got. Also, thanks for the tip on the grinding out for the bennett bezel. Brought my dremel and it worked great. I actually didn't put the 4 little screws through the top of the bezel (like you said they are too short). But I put them through under the bezel and put the bezel over top. Works just as well. I actually wish they hadn't drilled those 4 little holes there. no need for them because the bezel is screwed down so it holds the switches firmly in place. Some day I may get some longer screws in black and put them through, but the holes actually might look better than screw heads.

brwn234 - I tested the LED bulb for the compass over a 12 volt battery and it works so there must be something wrong with the way the positive and negative leads are lining up thats causing it to short out. I will fix that soon enough.

Donzi LG - thanks for your help as well.

Donzi LG
08-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Looks great Kevin. How difficult was disconnecting the wiring for the depth gauge? I see you have a bezel there and it looks great.

I think you need this bezel from Dana to fit your 12V socket:

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=2&catid=2&productid=1297&CFID=259871&CFTOKEN=75170847

rtgogo
08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I ran into the same problem with the socket and bezel. You'll need to order the actual socket part from the same place you got the bezel so they will fit properly. Think I got mine from Eddie Marine and the socket was only a few bucks.

I'd like to hear about the bezel you put on the depth finder. Who makes it?

rtgogo
08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Kramsay...one other question...
How do you like your stereo cover?
I bought one just like it, but been thinkin about a sealed head unit instead.

kramsay1234
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
LG - that looks like the one for ours. A lot different than the one I got.

rtgogo - I actually see now on the site that the socket they use is different. For $6.50 I will have to get one of those. I orderd the bezel over the phone so I didn't notice it took a slightly different socket. No big deal. Thanks.

As for the depth bezel, its the same as the other small gauage bezels. Take the cover off the radio and then the four screws out and remove the radio and you have access. Had to cut two wires on the gauge (small red and black) and then solder them back together. They are wire crimped into some other wires, so no choice and its the fastest way. I looked at all other options. Actually, the depth gauage was one of the easiest ones to do and definitely looks good.

I am thinking of scuffing and painting the bennett rocker switches white. I think I saw someone else with white ones and they look better.

kramsay1234
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I like the stereo cover. Fits in well and does the job. I wouldn't replace the head unit unless you want a new one. No need.

Kramsay...one other question...
How do you like your stereo cover?
I bought one just like it, but been thinkin about a sealed head unit instead.

rtgogo
08-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, it had the diamond inside with a small notch in the top so the plug cover flap can lay flat. Think bezel was part # 275-60Y. Try part # M-803 for the plug.

As far as the stereo..I'm getting ready to redo the entire system, except the billet covers! Can't find a good place for the amps to run the rest of my speakers and sub...any big ideas?

kramsay1234
08-12-2008, 12:37 AM
No stereo ideas per se. I just noticed my front 6.5 is blown on the drivers side so I will have to replace that. Thinking of picking up a set of MB Quart Marine 6x9's and putting those in the back and then moving one of the good 6.5's from the back up front to replace the bad one. Clarion also makes a 7" powered sub that I took a look at. But not sure I want another big stereo with all the amps, etc. Used to drain my one battery dead everytime I was out anchored for the day.