PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Trim Gauge

rtgogo
06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I need to calibrate my trim gauge. I have a Graffig II and it sits about a qtr notch from the bottom at full IN position..Seems to have gotten out of kilter when I upgraded the throttle. How diffucult is this is and is there an adjustment on the back of the gauge? I'm going to be installing billet bezels and wanted to tune the gauge in while i had the dash apart. Please help...totally ignorant....but mechanically capable......thanks..

Conquistador_del_mar
06-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I need to calibrate my trim gauge. I have a Graffig II and it sits about a qtr notch from the bottom at full IN position..Seems to have gotten out of kilter when I upgraded the throttle. How diffucult is this is and is there an adjustment on the back of the gauge? I'm going to be installing billet bezels and wanted to tune the gauge in while i had the dash apart. Please help...totally ignorant....but mechanically capable......thanks..

On Mercruisers, you simply loosen the hold down screws on the sending unit located at the pivot points on the outdrive gimbal making sure it is the trim sender and not the trim limit switch if there is also one of them. It is just a potentiometer which you will then turn with the key on until it zeros out on the gauge. It might make a difference if the engine is running since the voltage will be a little higher which might affect the reading by a little. Maybe some others can corroborate this. Bill

CHACHI
06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
On Mercruisers, you simply loosen the hold down screws on the sending unit located at the pivot points on the outdrive gimbal making sure it is the trim sender and not the trim limit switch if there is also one of them. It is just a potentiometer which you will then turn with the key on until it zeros out on the gauge. It might make a difference if the engine is running since the voltage will be a little higher which might affect the reading by a little. Maybe some others can corroborate this. Bill
Thats how I did mine on my Alpha.
Ken

gcarter
06-27-2008, 06:19 AM
I would again reccomend that everyone invest in a $25.00 manual. :doh:

Of course if everyone did, there'd be a whole lot less material here!!!!!!!! :eek!::propeller::nilly:

OK.

Everyone continue to stumble along in the dark! :smash:

Thousands for bling.........
A big ZERO for knowledge. Afterall, we have to keep this section going somehow.

Anonimous

rtgogo
06-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Point made....I'm by no means a mechanic and the book is a lot more intimidating than asking the question in plain English....I'll read the latin version before stumbling around in the dark.......just need help translating sometimes.....

roadtrip se
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I would again reccomend that everyone invest in a $25.00 manual. :doh:
Of course if everyone did, there'd be a whole lot less material here!!!!!!!! :eek!::propeller::nilly:
OK.
Everyone continue to stumble along in the dark! :smash:
Thousands for bling.........
A big ZERO for knowledge. Afterall, we have to keep this section going somehow.
Anonimous

Dang Carter, who took away your cheerios this morning. Maybe a little less coffee.

I have manuals, lotso manuals and they can be worthless garbage. Case and point, the Mercury Scorpion one I just bought. There isn't one note in the thing about how to maintain the beast, like the 500 manual I own from the same publisher, but if I want a cam profile, it's there.

Don't make me compile a list of the questions you have asked over the years, that could have been looked up in a manual. We all are guilty, myself included...

Air 22
06-27-2008, 09:03 AM

This procedure worked for me as well...:)

gcarter
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
My point is, there's lots of basic stuff in the Clymer manual (for instance), like adjusting trim senders, complete w/lots of pictures. Everyone should have one.
Period.
Shows you how to:
replace bellows
replace sea water pumps
remove and replace drives (Alpha and Bravo both)
align drives w/ an alignment tool.
how to make an alignment tool
split drives
drain and refill oil in drives
how to remove and rebuild the gimbal assembly (Alpha and Bravo)
how to R&R various engines
how to winterize your engine (what's that?)
and lots and lots of other things
fully illustrated
and all for about $25.00

And Todd, yes I've asked a LOT of questions, but not if it was in my manual.