PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limits

DonziJon
06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Just ran across this today. Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. There will be Speed Limits on the lake starting next summer. 45 day/25 night. It's a "Pilot Program" which will expire in two years ..UNLESS the legislature extends it.

Time to get a Bayliner I guess.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Governor+to+sign+boat-speed+bill&articleId=054393b9-c34e-48d6-a4a6-117786073e99

CJmike
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to boating Minnesota style.:hangum:

1. Speed restrictions:
-40 mph daytime;
-20 mph nighttime;
-5 mph slow-no wake speed in the following areas:
a) marked quiet waters areas,
b) within 150 feet of shore, docks & people swimming or fishing.
c) within 150 feet of swim areas or swimmers, scuba flags, anchored rafts, watercraft, or docks.

jl1962
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Depends on if they enforce the letter or the spirit of the law.

Lake George has a speed limit too (45 mph), but I have never seen anyone pulled over for excessive speed...not on poker runs and not even in the ZR38 at 80mph last September. They do enforce noise and they damn sure crack down on reckless operators - thankfully

I'm all in favor of responsible boating.

DonziJon
06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Depends on if they enforce the letter or the spirit of the law.

Lake George has a speed limit too (45 mph), but I have never seen anyone pulled over for excessive speed...not on poker runs and not even in the ZR38 at 80mph last September. They do enforce noise and they damn sure crack down on reckless operators - thankfully

I'm all in favor of responsible boating.

I have been down to Lake George a few years ago when I first got the Minx. I think we went twice. There was a similar Speed Limit Law then....7-8 years ago? Didn't bother us at all. What I remember most was "Out of State REGISTRATION" required. One week on the lake...and you have to register your boat, PAY, and put stickers on your windshield. The funny thing was, I'm an explorer, I like to see the sights....the Real Estate. You can DO the whole lake in a day... with time to spare. Havn't been back since.
John

jl1962
06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
DJ

Only been to Winnie once. It was very different from LG configuration wise. LG is pretty much north/south but Winnie seemed kind of round w/ lots of shoreline for the size.

And I was on a sailboat so the speed limit wasn't an issue :wink:

Peace.

mrfixxall
06-25-2008, 08:13 PM
chain O Lakes Rules

1, go as fast as you want

2, 25 mph at night

3,make as much noise as u want

4, drink as much beer as u want :)

LKSD
06-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Legislature like this sux in my opinion. Dont get me wrong I am all in favor of safe boating.

The problem I DO have is with laws that dont need to be in effect.

If everyone followed the basic USCG rules of the road, AND just those rules were enforced then there would be virtually NO problems..

Basically they are written common sense rules. If followed there would be no speeding in areas where others could be hurt. (as again common sense would tell you, dont go fast here. Wait until you are in an area or stretch that it is safe & fairly uncongested.) However some people have more money or power than sense and cause problems for others..

I believe for the most part speed is not the cause of problems or injurys. It is unsafe boats or poorly maintained boats, obnoxious driving and lack of common sense that are the root causes of accidents in almost all unfortunate events.

Just my 2 cents.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

RedDog
06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
If everyone followed the basic USCG rules of the road, AND just those rules were enforced then there would be virtually NO problems..

Few around here know the basic rules of the road. So many boats boats coming head on try to cross my path and pass on my starboard side - and I am usually hugging the starboard side of the channel

LKSD
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I know what you mean.. I too either think that many people dont know the basics. Either that or they dont care.. Thats the stuff that pizzes me off about some of the rules people try to pass like speed limits on the water.. If they cant already learn the rules that are there AND enfore them, then how in the heck do they think they are going to learn & enforce the new stupid laws. :hangum:

:) Jamie

roadtrip se
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
It is always a different flavor depending on where you are.

On my home lake, Lake Cumberland, speed and noise aren't the focus of the Fish and Game folks, just open container laws. Cat and mouse every summer with binnocular survellance and a lot of complaining on lakecumberland.com by the latest victim.

Amazes me, if you are at party cove, don't come out of there with an open beer in every cup holder. And when on the hook, just put it in a cup. Simple.

Always good to be aware on what the local laws really are on the body of water you boat on.

VetteLT193
06-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't know how you enforce a speed limit when speedometers are not required on boats and the speedos on most boats are not really accurate anyway

chappy
06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
My home water is Lake Wallenpaupack, PA. Only speed limits we have are 25 mph when the sun is down. 45 mph on weekends and holidays. Weekdays, it's all you can get when the sun is up. I've never heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket, I'm sure they've been issued, but I've just never heard of it.

cgentile
06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
No speed limits in Ontario Canada or noise laws, just no dry headers in harbours.. Well in Prince Edward County Lake Ontario Area
Lots of inspections by the OPP Marine units to make sure you have your gear, other than that you can blow by there boat and they just wave.

Its the Sea Doo's that they have problems with , i had a couple almost impale themselves of my outdrive one year on the hoist.
Rippping just of the shore looking at the pretty sights.

:canada:

undertaker
06-26-2008, 11:12 AM
My home water is Lake Wallenpaupack, PA. Only speed limits we have are 25 mph when the sun is down. 45 mph on weekends and holidays. Weekdays, it's all you can get when the sun is up. I've never heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket, I'm sure they've been issued, but I've just never heard of it.

Chappy, we used to vacation on Lake Wallenpaupack for three weeks in the summer back in the mid 80's stop going there in 1990, love that lake just curious do they have any noise regulations up there, i am thinking about maybe doing a long weekend up there later this summer, but do not want to get hassled if they have noise regs...(I think I might be over the limit:))

Undertaker:cool:

Marlin275
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Hudson River is great!
No speed or sound limits of any kind.
It's hard to find the police around anywhere.
After 9/11 the Coast Guard was all over the place but mainly to document all the small boats had boat numbers etc.

I saw a small Coast Guard boat about three weeks ago and they had taken the gun off the front, things change . . .

chappy
06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Chappy, we used to vacation on Lake Wallenpaupack for three weeks in the summer back in the mid 80's stop going there in 1990, love that lake just curious do they have any noise regulations up there, i am thinking about maybe doing a long weekend up there later this summer, but do not want to get hassled if they have noise regs...(I think I might be over the limit:))

Undertaker:cool:

There was a small uprising in '04 about noise on Wallenpaupack. The noise regs were deemed primarily "unenforceable" after numerous citations were overturned in the local magistrate offices. The powers that be are a little nervous about alienating any tourists. The only guy I knew who got hassled had a 38' Fountain with big twins, and he intentionally drove like a "Fargin Ice Hole". (For you "Johnny Dangerously" fans) I've got another buddy with a 29' Chaparral Villain with twin 454's, he's never even been questioned about noise. Bring that thing up here Ed.:yes:

undertaker
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Cool.......:yes:..I just might make it up this year...I will keep ya posted..:)

CHACHI
06-26-2008, 08:44 PM
At the A-Bay poker run on the St. Lawrence this past weekend MY WAY :canada:, a 50 foot Outerlimits cat with twin turbines allegedly ran 178 MPH.

Ken

BigGrizzly
06-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Off the subject but New Jersey Has a boating course that is mandatory. Lets see if it will last or be enforced. You actually must take the course, and not on line anymore..

wickedfast
06-28-2008, 11:22 AM
The NH legislature is being consistent with their development of new laws to restrict fun. Snowmobiles have a 45 mph speed limit all the time in NH also. They also tried to enforce a noise limit on them last season. The fisher cops even staked out the biggest snowmobile gas station and had everyone open their hoods when their machines were off. They gave everyone with an aftermarket silencer/exhaust a $200 ticket without listening to them. I wasn't there at the time but called the main F&G office in Concord and had a 45 minute talk with the head guy. He was very surprised at what I told him and it never happened again. To make a short story long, this is only the beginning.

DonziJon
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM
New Hampshire requires Everybody to pass the "Boating Safety Course" as of this year. Being from Rhode Island, but doing most of my boating in NH, I had to do something, so I took the Rhode Island course. It's recognized by NH.

I took the test (Proctored) last week and just got my certification yesterday in the mail. It's a really cute little plastic card just like a credit card..except: It has your Full Name and DOB printed on the back. AND, There is NO Ser# or magnetic strip/bar code on it at all. The word "License" is also absent. All it says is that you have "successfully completed the course"..and that's it. Oh wait: It also says I am "Authorized" to operate a "Pwick". (PWC) You MUST carry it with you when boating. It is waterproof. :nilly:

Your personal info (Name & DOB) will be entered into a National database.

I can tell you one thing, ...even though I've been boating for over 55 years I really really really FEEL so much better now. :smash: :bonk: John