PDA

View Full Version : Ok Mr. Carter!

MOP
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
A fair amount of sweat and yes some blood but it is in and tested!

gcarter
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, at least one person has seen the light and made their life a LOT simpler by getting rid of that knuckle busting, time consuming, patience testing, God forsaken evil bit doo-doo that Merc designed to infuriate every Merc engined boat owner that does their own maintenance.
Gotta lower the cost of ownership of everyone that has their service done for them too as it only take about 15 minutes to change an impellor instead of hours.
Also they come in all sorts of iterations to fit all kinds of applications.

DonziJon
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Is there something I am missing? This looks like some kind of "Extra" pump. Do I need this? My Minx has a little over 600 hours on it (Bone Stock) since new and I never NEW I needed more pumps. :hangum: John

gcarter
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
John, your seawater pump is in your drive. It's a little small and just barely adequate. You could eliminate it and install a crank driven pump like this....if you wanted to. After all, it's a lot easier to service a pump like this than a drive mounted pump or the Merc belt driven pump.

BlownCrewCab
06-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Hmnnn, I guess that splains the pulley for sale.

What?? Nobody Liked the water pump mounted under the motor, Behind the stringer??? You needed two Wrists and elbows on one arm to service it...

MOP
06-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Well, at least one person has seen the light and made their life a LOT simpler by getting rid of that knuckle busting, time consuming, patience testing, God forsaken evil bit doo-doo that Merc designed to infuriate every Merc engined boat owner that does their own maintenance.
Gotta lower the cost of ownership of everyone that has their service done for them too as it only take about 15 minutes to change an impellor instead of hours.
Also they come in all sorts of iterations to fit all kinds of applications.

George you are right to a point, I had the Merc pump off and opened up in about 20 minutes, I went to the parts house to get an impeller. Was waiting in line and saw one of the crank pump kits on the wall rack, I said damn that may be the way to go. So I grabbed a kit, that was my first mistake! Got home and found out I had to remove my under drive pull, Ok off to the parts house again. Mind you now by now I would have had the Merc pump back on and gone for my boat ride, now already having about 1-1/2 hours into this I trudged forward. Three shops later and I was headed home with my pulley and oh yes another length of expensive wire wound hose. So the saga begins again, the pulley swap is a snap but Gee the crank mount pumps mounting holes are big enough to drive through. Spent a few minutes wrapping the mount bolts to try not to have a wobbly pump, that all goes pretty well now it is hose time. Yup off to the parts house for a fitting to redirect the the hoses, hey they screwed up the bolt hole size why not make the hoses come off the pump on the opposite side of 95% of the boats ever made! Ok I finally get it all together, I pop off the HE's cap and fill the hoses so I do not have a dry startup impellers like that. I put the hose to it and fire it off yeah it works, Gee it is now 4:00 I started at 8:00, in retrospect figuring and additional 6-1/2 hours, 3 trips probably $15 in gas running around for extras and about $ 400 there is no way I would ever in my right mind recommend doing the switch. I would recommend dumping the plastic piece of krap Merc now uses and going over to the bronze that I removed. Just plain not worth it, plus I lost my day of boat riding somehow I really think I would have enjoyed the boat ride much better even if I did waste 1-2 hours redoing the Merc pump!
My advice to everyone from now on will be use what you got, or make it a winter project when you have the engine out!
Remember when we spoke I asked if your ears were turning BLUE!! I sure was mumbling about you getting me into this!

M.O.P.

MOP
06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Hmnnn, I guess that splains the pulley for sale.

What?? Nobody Liked the water pump mounted under the motor, Behind the stringer??? You needed two Wrists and elbows on one arm to service it...

I see you have not done it! Takes about 15-20 for a guy almost 70 to get the Merc out, probably twice as long going back so say an hour. Had me in and out of the bilge 10 times more the just an impeller job. I have been working on boats 30 years as a marine tech and now hobbyist and let me tell you the swap was the very worst I have ever done. Gee I also forgot having to modify the crank center bolt in Georges post!!!!

Phil

gcarter
06-25-2008, 06:41 AM
No doubt a little planning needs to be done. There's a bunch of these on the market. Some are more universal than others. Some have the stabilizing boss on both sides and makes it easier to mount on more applications. Some have much better looking stabilizers than this one and everything actually fits.
But I would agree to doing it when you're carrying out some other work. Everything always takes longer than you plan on.

BlownCrewCab
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I see you have not done it! Takes about 15-20 for a guy almost 70 to get the Merc out, probably twice as long going back so say an hour. Had me in and out of the bilge 10 times more the just an impeller job. I have been working on boats 30 years as a marine tech and now hobbyist and let me tell you the swap was the very worst I have ever done. Gee I also forgot having to modify the crank center bolt in Georges post!!!!

Phil

Oh I have done it. I replaced my impeller every other year wheather it needed it or not. easiest way was to undo the hose on the transom assy and oil cooler, undo the pump bracket from the block and pull it all out at once. (pump, bracket, and hoses) The hard way is trying to undo the hoses on a pump thats still mounted.

MOP
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I had enough slack in the hoses so 3 bolts, pull it forward loosen the clamps and it was off. I did the crank pump on a whim and it cost me more then it was worth. On an out of the box engine fine, as a retro stupid! Plus the bronze Jabsco I removed looks like a better quality pump the the Johnson that is on it now.

BigGrizzly
06-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I like the crank pumps and don't like belts. some day it will be on my blower motor then i make an extension mount for the blower belt. only other option is a flywheel drive water pump. Then comes the electric power steering. The original idea,still thin about it, was a flywheel drive alternator, crank driven raw water pump and electric power steering and electric circulating pump. Now if I could electric drive the blower:doh:

BlownCrewCab
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I like the crank pumps and don't like belts. some day it will be on my blower motor then i make an extension mount for the blower belt. only other option is a flywheel drive water pump. Then comes the electric power steering. The original idea,still thin about it, was a flywheel drive alternator, crank driven raw water pump and electric power steering and electric circulating pump. Now if I could electric drive the blower:doh:

Man, You really do hate belts..

f_inscreenname
06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Mine is the only MerCruiser 454 with a Alt and raw water pump set up this way. Took a couple home made brackets, lots of hours and trips to the store but I had to have it this way. :smash: I stole the layout from the Mopar 360ci that was in it before. A pain in the ass to get right but now it's done it could not be easier maintain and looks better to boot.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5027/79988232mr1.jpg