PDA

View Full Version : Mooring Whips

ky-donzi
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Got a question for you guys
My uncle has offered one side of his dock for my unlimited use, in a bay where there is little traffic, but the occational idot comes roaring in there ( I say idot, because the bay is 90' across and mid summer about 3' deep)

Have any of you guys used mooring whips, or do you have a reativity low cost answer. If it was my personal dock I would have a lift, or at least a "C" shaped dock to park into, instead I will have to dock on the side. I don't trust just using bumper.

Thanks

cgentile
06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
i have a set on my dock for guest and my brother put whips on his dock for my 16 for that reason .. Sixteens are low so most docks are grief.
We both have 2600 pound whips which are nice for day parking. i use both lift rings and then spring lines which are key in using whips.
If you are full time i would look at the next size up for and bigger swell wave action.

But yes there great, for keeping the boat off the dock.

c
:canada:

Tidbart
06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I used whips on my dock in NH a few years back. If I remember correctly, I oversized them slightly to keep them far away from the dock. They worked great. I lived on a lake that had seawall everywhere and there was a ton of waves and wakes as I was on the main waterway.
The only drawback is that it was a slight pain in the butt to put a cover on it with the whip lines around.
Also, keep the boat pointed out.

Bob

DonziJon
06-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I use 2 BIG fenders. 10" x 28" Fend Aire for my Minx. They stay attached to the dock. I have a pair of much smaller fenders that I carry aboard. I got the big fenders at a boating second hand shop. They work. The docking location I have up at Lake Winni at our rental cottage is broadside to the wakes and waves. John

p729lws
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Is the dock floating and if not is there a tidal change?

Dan

kramsay1234
06-24-2008, 02:33 AM
I have used whips on the dock on my boat for years on the dock and its in a bay where its calm most of the time but boats come in pulling skiiers, etc and even when a storm comes in the boat stays off the dock. Easy to tie up and hook on. They are a great solution.

Rob M
06-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I have used them on my 16 and they are great at keeping the boat in place and off the dock. The area I used them in faced constant wind and wake action - no issues with the whips if installed correctly (ie. the right arc). So follow the instructions carefully. Agree that you need to use spring lines to limit forward and backward motion. The biggest hassle was that the boat was 2-2.5 feet off the dock so boarding/de-boarding was a bit of an issue. Also, if you use a mooring cover you will need to develop a proper sequence of fitting.
Go for it.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10817&d=1113874501

Kirbyvv
06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I've used whips for years. They work great. I agree, use spring lines if it is an area with waves.

HallJ
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Would anyone recommend a certain type or brand over another?

Jeff

Kirbyvv
06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I prefer the whips with the adjustable bases. You can customize the angle of the whip. The whips I'm using are probably 15 years old and still working great. I just purchased a set of Dock Edge whips from boatersworld.com last week for another boat. They seemed to have the best prices. I haven't set up the new whips so have no comment on quality, etc. yet.

Tidbart
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
If I remember correctly, I used the Dock Edge brand. The bases were great, they had a cleat on the back and a loop on the front. Made it very easy to tie up.
They make several sizes.
http://www.dockedge.com/products/dockaccessories/whips/index.asp

You won't be dissappointed with them.

B