PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Paint

VetteLT193
06-23-2008, 08:10 PM
The last time I painted a Merc drive was early - mid 90's. I bought the merc / quicksilver drive paint and primer to do the job. I remember doing it over and over and over because it never lasted.

So... has paint gotten better, is there a certain technique, or ? what's the trick to keeping the paint on the drive?

Also, I have a drive with a nose cone and I need to fill in one spot where the nose cone doesn't blend in quite perfect, what kind of filler is the best?

Conquistador_del_mar
06-23-2008, 08:21 PM
The last time I painted a Merc drive was early - mid 90's. I bought the merc / quicksilver drive paint and primer to do the job. I remember doing it over and over and over because it never lasted.

So... has paint gotten better, is there a certain technique, or ? what's the trick to keeping the paint on the drive?

Also, I have a drive with a nose cone and I need to fill in one spot where the nose cone doesn't blend in quite perfect, what kind of filler is the best?

I used to install nose cones on drives professionally. They need the two part epoxy for bonding, and for the finish work and contouring I used Evercoat glazing putty which worked very well. I takes quite a while to get them perfect. At first I used 99U black Imron, but I later found out that black laquer worked much better in terms of lasting durability - you can't get it anymore though. I really don't know what would be the best paint to use now, but my guess is that canned paint would not work as well as a catalyzed polyurethane enamel like Awlgrip or Imron. Bill

DonziJon
06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I have used the Mercury Primer and Black Topcoat (Spray Cans) a few times. I have NOT been impressed. The time between coats is like 5+ days..unless you do it within maybe 4 hours. The numbers should be verified. Sanding between coats is always necessary...and sanding beyond one coat introduces "other" problems. If you are lucky, it will look fine and last. Next time, I might try something else.

The "Mercury Paint" (Even over itself) seems to act like putting Laquer on top of new Enamel. LIFT. John

Cuda
06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I used glazing putty, zinc primer, and quicksilver black on that drive. Like I said, I planned on sanding it again, for the umpteenth time, and do it again. You should have seen it when I started. I took the nosecone completely off to start.

gcarter
06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Here's what I did;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526
And I can tell you it held up very very well. It's been on there for four years now. The only issue I ever had w/it was the leading edge of the lower drive lost some of the paint from dragging it through the canals here on the Harris Chain, but it never wore through the primer.
In a few months, I'll be doing it again on the TR.

OOPS! I just remembered that after two years, the 20 year old drive died and I replaced it w/one of the after market drives. Its finish wasn't near as good as mine.
But the gimbal assembly is still on the boat......isn't it Dan????

Cuda
06-24-2008, 04:25 AM
I used the same Quicksilver Phantom Black back to touch up my TRS, and it's help up great. It still has the factory paint under it. I just cleaned it up with laquer thinner real good, then sprayed over it. I can tell you that factory paint is tough! I tried sandblasting some off a t stat housing.

The Hedgehog
06-24-2008, 05:50 AM
I have used zinc chromate primer and black appliance epoxy with good results. I am sure that it is not as good as the professional process but it looks way better than nothing and holds up well.

I shot an OMC drive with a silver/gray mag wheel coating. It worked very well. After a couple of years it still looks like the day it was painted.

Cuda
06-24-2008, 06:02 AM
I used to keep a can of black paint around, to touch up the drives on my Kammas, and the swim platform. If it came off after I had launched, it wouldn't matter, since it was underwater anyway. The swim platform was powder coated, and it would flake off in big chunks. I'd just spray again with black rattle can paint, and it looked fine.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4787457338841161066&q=source:014009420937429912662&hl=en

VetteLT193
06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
I used glazing putty, zinc primer, and quicksilver black on that drive. Like I said, I planned on sanding it again, for the umpteenth time, and do it again. You should have seen it when I started. I took the nosecone completely off to start.

I have a solid 3+ weeks to work on the drive now that the boat is stranded in the keys with no working trailer. I gotta find the cash to buy a new trailer, Poodle got me the best price he could on one but it wasn't in the budget so I have to pinch some pennies to make it work out, plus after I do the penny pinching it will probably take 2 weeks for the trailer to arrive.... So, I have time to sand and paint the drive again :doh:

Here's what I did;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526
And I can tell you it held up very very well. It's been on there for four years now. The only issue I ever had w/it was the leading edge of the lower drive lost some of the paint from dragging it through the canals here on the Harris Chain, but it never wore through the primer.
In a few months, I'll be doing it again on the TR.
OOPS! I just remembered that after two years, the 20 year old drive died and I replaced it w/one of the after market drives. Its finish wasn't near as good as mine.
But the gimbal assembly is still on the boat......isn't it Dan????

Very good thread George. That paint is sprayed with a compressor / sprayer, correct? I guess it might be time for a trip to harbor freight to see what they have for sprayers

gcarter
06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a solid 3+ weeks to work on the drive now that the boat is stranded in the keys with no working trailer. I gotta find the cash to buy a new trailer, Poodle got me the best price he could on one but it wasn't in the budget so I have to pinch some pennies to make it work out, plus after I do the penny pinching it will probably take 2 weeks for the trailer to arrive.... So, I have time to sand and paint the drive again :doh:
Very good thread George. That paint is sprayed with a compressor / sprayer, correct? I guess it might be time for a trip to harbor freight to see what they have for sprayers
You can use my trailer for awhile. I'm sure we can work something out. It's set up for a 22, so there's no big hurdles for a Minx.

VetteLT193
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
You can use my trailer for awhile. I'm sure we can work something out. It's set up for a 22, so there's no big hurdles for a Minx.

Thanks George. I'll get in touch with you when the boat is done being painted :) you are on the way to pick it up anyway, so it may work out.

Cuda
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
George is right. I had a Minx, and the 22 at the same time, and I swapped trailers if I was putting the 22 in saltwater, because the Minx trailer was aluminum. Once, I got lazy and didn't swap them, and you can tell by looking at the 22 trailer now. :( Rust never sleeps.

kramsay1234
06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Salt is a nasty thing. Try driving on the roads in Toronto with a car that you actually like. The salt just punishes our cars...