PDA

View Full Version : Hot Off The Press from Donzi (Lmtd.Ed. 35Zr & 22C)

Tom A.
06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
This is hot off the press from Donzi and I was told I could share it.
Looks like a step in the right direction, rekindling their roots!

DONZI INTRODUCES THE 009
LIMITED EDITION 35 & 22
In 1964, a swarm of brand new offshore machines descended upon the
racing scene, sporting the name “Donzi,” a nickname of legendary Miami offshore racer Don Aronow. Working with a consortium of boat racers and engineers, Aronow had created what he believed to be the perfect race boat. With their speed and agility, the tenacious new Donzis hounded the competition, quickly winning races. “Those damned Donzis!” became a common refrain among racers, and in short order this new boat company with the Italian-sounding name had established a reputation for
producing genuine, race-proven offshore
thoroughbreds.
The hot new Donzis became the choice of an ever-growing list of offshore
racers, including Jim Wynne, Jake
Trotter, Alan Brown, Walt Walters, Billy Wishnick, and Bobby Moore. These were the men – legends today - who raced the earliest Donzis, putting the little company on the map and helping to pioneer the sport of offshore racing in the process.
In 1965, Don Aronow launched his famous Donzi 007, a bright-red 28-footer that made
headlines at the Miami-Nassau race by
winning in record time. Aronow and his 007 then won the Round Nassau Sweepstakes, breaking the previous year’s record by over 20 minutes. In 1966, Aronow followed up with a sleeker, faster version that was arguably one of the most competitive racers of its day:
The Donzi 008.
For 2009, Donzi introduces the limited edition Donzi 009, celebrating its pioneering racing heritage with two distinctive, limited edition models: The 35 ZR 009, and its pocket-rocket sibling, the 22 Classic 009.
www.donzimarine.com

Lenny
06-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Basically, the 22 sounds like the Shelby boat in equipment. I do like the black tho :yes:

Now, why is the US flag inside out ???

Tom A.
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
On vehicles it is actually appropriate to present the flag front to back as if it were flowing in the wind (pic 1). The other side would be viewed normally.:salute:

Here's a couple of pics of the 007 and 008 boats with the big Don running them.

chappy
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
That's cool.:)

boxy
06-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Cool find Tommy.....

More importantly, Lenny's alive ..... :D

Cuda
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
They left out that DA first raced a 233 Formula named "The Cigarette". The 233 is arguably the most copied hull ever, wouldn't you say Poodle? :wink:

blackhawk
06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Looks like it will be a great looking boat. But if they're going to make such limited numbers they should put some more HP in them to seperate them a little more.

BigGrizzly
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Well the 22 dah, Can you spell insurance, and liability ! Just wait until Trailer Boat or any other boating mag gets a hold of it- " too much power handles bad "and any other noun they can muster

Mr X
06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Without a doubt.. Still in production today by at least a dozen manufacturers...
I'm liking the 22C though.. I would need LH steering, ITS, 525....:eek:
And a real good divorce attorney...:hangum:
An ITS on a 22 !! What MORON would even try that? :wink:

Carl C
06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I like the 22, I've liked most of the special editions, but I'd like to see more motor to go with the raised x. The boat is easily a safe 85 mph boat. Just don't send one to Trailer Boats:doh:.

Nice job. The Comp is for sure sweet too but out of my league now:(.

Air 22
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Only 18...hmmmm well now there are only 16...Damn them Bravo Boyz:cool::wink:

Sweet little 16
06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
with the exception of 007 which cashed in on the bond james bond craze at the time and claudia II named for his first boat all of don's race boats were numbered with a multiple of 4 including the fore mentioned "cigarette" looks like Donzi might have "missed the boat by a year" but that aside not bad not bad at all do they mean 18 total 9 of each or 36 18 of each maybe thinking out loud here but if you only build 9 of each I could see an ebay bidding war for limited edition 22 classic 009 hull 009 don't think the ZR guys have the same hull number thingy as the classic guys but who knows

dclassic
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
An ITS on a 22 !! What MORON would even try that? :wink:

Mr X... That thing is awesome!! You're my hero!! When do we get the full report and pics?? The suspense is killing me. More importantly, when can I get a ride?!?! :)

Cuda
06-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I like the 22, I've liked most of the special editions, but I'd like to see more motor to go with the raised x. The boat is easily a safe 85 mph boat. Just don't send one to Trailer Boats:doh:.

Nice job. The Comp is for sure sweet too but out of my league now:(.
As Mp would say, define safe.

Tom A.
06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately that is all the info I got. If anything else comes up I will share it. When I was first told about this a couple weeks ago, I mentioned a few ideas I had.

1. 27' Classic. Classic style deck and co*kpit with a step hull.
2. Expand the Comp line to include a 29 (utilizing the same step hull as the
27 Classic) and a 45 (based on a cut down stretched 43 Zr)
3. Get more involved with racing putting a 29 in V-lite and a 45 to put Fountain in his place.

They loved it but they feel the upper management won't be.

p729lws
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
A non-stepped Classic in the 28'-30' range or a stepped ZRC in the same range is at the top of my wish list too. Just make sure it doesn't have a molded swim platform :crossfing:

Dan

RickSE
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
More motor = more $$'s on the base price of the boat. I believe Donzi learned their lesson with the SE's and won't build a big motor production 22C without a buyer. I'm sure they'll build one if you ask but I doubt that they'll produce high dollar 22C's to sit on dealer's lots.

Mr X
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Define more $$

blackhawk
06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
More motor = more $$'s on the base price of the boat. I believe Donzi learned their lesson with the SE's and won't build a big motor production 22C without a buyer. I'm sure they'll build one if you ask but I doubt that they'll produce high dollar 22C's to sit on dealer's lots.

I agree but if you're only making 18 of them then make it truly unique with more power and I think people would be fighting over them. Just my $.02.

BUIZILLA
06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
every one of the 18 made should come with a 525... :crossfing:

now, THAT'S a Special Edition :cool:

MDonziM
06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
That looks like fun, which illmore is it?

Good luck - MM

Carl C
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
As Mp would say, define safe.Not inherently dangerous

VetteLT193
06-26-2008, 09:12 AM
It's getting to the point where there are more special edition's than regular Donzi's. All of the special edition boats are losing from the inundation of them. I agree they should do something more... 525.

How many are there now? I can think of:

1987/88 LE
1988 Testa
1988 Anniversary
1995/96 Blackhawk
1996 30th Anniversary
2002 SE (HP500 blue boat) could that have been 03?
2004 40th Anniversary
2005 Aronow
2007 Shelby
2008 Aronow

blackhawk
06-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Or they could drop in one of these (http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html)! Now that would be a special edition! And less expensive too.

Carl C
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
It's getting to the point where there are more special edition's than regular Donzi's. All of the special edition boats are losing from the inundation of them. I agree they should do something more... 525.

I didn't want to say it but that is a valid point.

Or they could drop in one of these (http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html)! Now that would be a special edition! And less expensive too. There are many engine options. A more mild offering from Teague or Ilmor would be a good alternative to the 525........

And less warranty.....

IMO the special editions draw attention to the line, and allow a few folks who want something besides a red Donzi to get something they won't see tied up in the 14 slips next to them everytime they go to a meet...

Kinda like my SS :D :D

I still think mine would need ITS, 525 and LH steering... MP, the special editions aren't the only ones that stand out. Mine kind of stands out with the aluminum fairing and Blueliner's double striped boat is unique too, just to name a couple.

blackhawk
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
And less warranty.....
IMO the special editions draw attention to the line, and allow a few folks who want something besides a red Donzi to get something they won't see tied up in the 14 slips next to them everytime they go to a meet...
I still think mine would need ITS, 525 and LH steering...

I thought the standard warranty was 1 year on merc stuff?

roadtrip se
06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
And less warranty.....

up until the LH Steering thingy... I guess I'll need to order my next SE boat in RED, and I would say that each one of those RED boats, is just a bit different, besides what is wrong with RED? Blue just kind of fades into the background and gets in the way of serious boaters trying to get by the dang things.... it can be a hazard after all.

Another vote for an SE that has something to offer other than just a different look, at least as an option for those willing to spend the cash. Looks don't really matter when you are out on the water... whichever color you choose, especially RED....

EDIT: One more thought, I tried to buy an SE in 2002 with the 500 package and decided to build one instead. I have the same amount of cash in the RTSE today, that I could have spent on the package from the factory.

VetteLT193
06-26-2008, 11:03 AM

I agree, it is exciting and gets good attention. I'm stealing the shelby look for the Minx too.

RickSE
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Define more $$

$30K above the base price of a HO package. The SE's were at this level and they only sold a few; only one 525 boat built to date that we know of. I just think if you add $30K to a 22' boat that's already in the $60-$70K range, it's gonna be hard to sell. Just do what they've done before, leave the options open and list the 525, but don't build them to sit on dealer's lots.

I'm still waiting for the SS Edition.

blackhawk
06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
$30K above the base price of a HO package. The SE's were at this level and they only sold a few; only one 525 boat built to date that we know of. I just think if you add $30K to a 22' boat that's already in the $60-$70K range, it's gonna be hard to sell. Just do what they've done before, leave the options open and list the 525, but don't build them to sit on dealer's lots.
I'm still waiting for the SS (Steve Simon) Edition.

That's why I mentioned the Raylar motor. Equal power, less weight and less $$$. Mate it to an ITS, put the X-dim at 17" or so and use sit-down bolsters seats with NO SNAP IN CUSHIONS! :D

CHACHI
06-26-2008, 08:19 PM
And less warranty.....

.................and a center fill.

Ken

yeller
06-26-2008, 10:27 PM
MP, I'd have thought you'd already be at the bank getting your $ for the 22, seeing as it has a center fill.:wink:

Carl C
07-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know what prop the new raised X SE 22Cs are shipping with?

osur866
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know what prop the new raised X SE 22Cs are shipping with?
Dang Carl, don't turn this thing into a prop thread!! Steve

Carl C
07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Dang Carl, don't turn this thing into a prop thread!! Steve Never! I don't even want to go there:doh:. I would like to know what Donzi decided would work best from the factory. And, yes, I know cost is a factor.:propeller: Steve, I will be calling but have been busy working hard and playing hard (mostly playing).:yippie:

GeneD
07-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Speaking of ITS...
One of my racing buddies changed out his Bravo set-ups for the ITS and the boat was never able to compete after that.
He tried changing props, spacers, etc. To no avail. Think he lost almost 10 MPH.
I shouldn't tell you who it is...but the boat was in Miami Vice.
This 009 thing is cracking me up!
But I love the black hull, I've always loved that color combo.

osur866
07-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Sounds good Carl. Steve

hot shot
07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Gosh I wonder why the h#ll they put a gay hood scoop on it ? i read 5 pages on why not to have fresh cool air and now i say what were they t
thinking ?..... bad azzz boat in my opinion and I like:smash::smash: the scoop

thriller
07-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Now Todd...As I was reading Poodles post, I new it was just a matter of time til you chimed in on the Red color comment:doh:Too funny. I like the fact that Donzi is building SE's/LE's with low numbers..I get the idea they actually are into the History of their manufacturing.
Mr X/Ted is my hero. He builds some radical S~~T.
Now.... Who knows who owns Geos flying Rocket. That set the Bar in my opinion..Blast off..Did I mention I like the color Black? especially in leather:mad:
/MM

BigGrizzly
07-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I know, I know, but I am not telling. However the person will make a great owner, he loves it!:)