PDA

View Full Version : In-hull transducer mounting on a 22ZX???

ltl_mac2000
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I have searched through the threads but couldn't find a solid answer. So....has anyone had any luck mounting an in-hull transducer in a 1999 22ZX?

I am on my third transom mount, and getting tired of adjusting it or even replacing it every time I have rough ocean run. It goes to a Garmin 545s. I am trying to avoid all of the trial/error that usually goes along with this. If anyone has found a good location for their transducer your help would be very much appreciated.

From what I have been reading, I am not going to get a good reading at high speeds and I am OK with that. Any comments on the speed / stepped hull issues are welcome too.

Thanks in advance!!

BlownCrewCab
06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
The newer transducers may be better, But before (say 10 years ago) you had to get a different transducer to mount in the hull. The trick is to put it where there is NO Core. preferably right in the keel Pointing straight down. Get some good putty Like Marine-Tex or Evercoat formula 27. (Not automotive Bondo, it absorbs water) make a small pile (of Putty) in the spot you picked and set the transducer in it while twisting back and forth and pushing down, the key is to end up with No air bubbles, this way it'll be transmitting and recieving through a solid piece with minimal errors from voids between it and the water. Don't forget to sand or grind a little at that spot to help it stick good. There shouldn't be any core right down the center of the keel, and it's the lowest spot on the hull, farther aft the better.

ltl_mac2000
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have to buy a new transducer no matter what since mine is sitting somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, so I am planning the buy the Garmin recommended transducer anyway.

Would you still recommend the products below knowing that I am purchasing in in-hull style transducer?

Glad you posted, I was thinking the opposite, that there was reinforcement at the keel and I was going to have to favor one side. Since I have a stepped hull, is it bad to be too far back because of air bubbles?

BlownCrewCab
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I would do it as far back toward the transom as I could, or if you have to do it forward, do it at the back of the front step, It shouldn't be too airrated there. wetter the better.

MOP
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
You can try various places by putting it in a plastic bag partially filled with water, the use tape to hold it in different places to find one that reads good.

Phil

Last Tango
06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
The factory mounted my in-hull transducer just forward of the engine, in the center of the crease in the bildge. Works fine there at all speeds under plane. I have a single step, so no matter where you put it on a stepped hull it is going to aerate at speed (planing speed) and not give a reading. Once on plane, the display reads the last depth at which it got a good echo, which is usually the spot back where you started to raise the bow onto plane.

Most display readouts only read in .5 foot (1/2 foot) increments. Since there is only a couple of inches difference in depth between the front of the engine and back of the engine, it makes little difference where you mount it in the engine bay as long as it is near the centerline.

ltl_mac2000
06-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for info guys. I ordered the transducer today. $55 from Boater's World. I hope to get it installed this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

Mark--I was thinking more aft for aeration reasons, not because of depth. From everyones your comments though, it doesn't seem like it makes much difference in that category either.

Danny

MOP
06-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Like I posted earlier try moving it around in a bag with water in it, all you need is a void in the glass to get a zip reading. Take my word I have installed them in all kinds of boat over many years, it is some disappointing to have to rip it out to do it over again. In my case very costly and also having a crabby customers.

Phil

ltl_mac2000
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I know how we have a tendency to not do the follow up when the work is complete so here is my follow up.
I epoxied the transducer about two inches starboard of the keel about 6 inches aft of the firewall. My dead rise is a little more steep that what the particular transducer was made for, but since I am only concerned with shallow water readings I am OK if it is not accurate in the deeper water. My theory is that the deeper the water, the more the angle will make a difference in the readings.
I could not mount it dead center of the keel because of some factory coring that was glassed in to mount the bilge pump to. In front of the coring was not flat enough to mount without having a gap. Behind the coring was too hard to reach to test.
Lessons learned: 1) The bag of water trick was definitely the move. 2) For those of you with a Garmin GPS, they make an in-hull transducer that is purposely designed for a 10 - 22 degree mount. Had I payed a little more attention before I ordered, probably would of went with the angled one. 3) If your Sonar lets you adjust the gain, turn it all the way up. It has a much faster reaction as you are moving the transducer around to find a good spot. 4) Do it on a day when its not 98 degrees outside and the sun has already gone down!!
As always, you guys on this site are the best. I continue to learn and am extremely thankful for all your feedback. I am now on a cosmetic mission.
Steering wheel, side controller, bezels, cup holders. Not sure where to stop. LOL

MOP
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
:):)