PDA

View Full Version : donzi refurbishers...

wagspe208
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, my 18' needs the deck re-cored. I was changing the prop shaft seal today and see the stringer is getting soft. (1968 v-drive).
Oh no, I am capable of doing it myself...problem is I have spent the last 6 months building my new dragboat and I am boated out. I just want to drive, maybe a beer or two, and park it. The donzi was supposed to be the winter project last year, but the new drag piece pushed it to the back burner..
Any takers..any recommendations..any $$ mounts?
Wags

harbormaster
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Talk to Jamie and Chris at Lakeside restorations in PA. They do good work and are registry advertisers...

LKSD
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, Scot is correct. We do, do that type of work & are a Donzi authorized custom & resto center. WE have done recoring in the past as well as tons of other resto & custom work. Price would depend on what all you would be having done. I would expect to drop at least a few g's. The materials are not to cheap, but it is more the labor as it is fairly time consuming and tedious to do.. :)

If you would like to see a small sampling of the other stuff we have done feel free to surf our site: www.LakesideRestorations.com :)

If you would like to look into us doing this for you feel free to give us a call. We are in North Eastern, PA..

:) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations... 570-639-2628

wagspe208
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for the replies..
Jamie, I sent you a pm.
Wags
What is everyone using for stringers in these old pieces? Still ?? wood? Or has anyone stepped up to the 90's and using something that won't rot?

LKSD
06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Wood is still commonly used, although if you want to kick it up a notch coosa and some other composites could also be used. They just cost more, but they dont rot.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

BlownCrewCab
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll Vouch for the core being a time consuming tedious Job, I'm Re-Coring a complete 18' Classic deck right now. I'm Vacuum Bagging where ever I can. It's coming out pretty good. It's one stiff piece (Now)

The Hedgehog
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll Vouch for the core being a time consuming tedious Job, I'm Re-Coring a complete 18' Classic deck right now. I'm Vacuum Bagging where ever I can. It's coming out pretty good. It's one stiff piece (Now)

PICs?

BlownCrewCab
06-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I Do have some Pics. As Soon as I eat Dinner I'm gonna back out and glass the Areas around the Hatch and "Barrel Back" I'll try to get wifey to snap some pic's and post them later. Where ever anything is thru bolted I used a small piece of Plywood so It wouldn't Crush, Everywhere else is Foam core.

TXDONZI
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
What year did Donzi start useing foam coring?

BlownCrewCab
06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
The Boat I'm doing looks like it had Balsa core. ALL The core was cut out before I got it. I just had to grind everything smooth and make a Jig to get the curves back.

Also, The Pics I have Suck, Not close enough to see any detail, Just looks like a deck. I'll have to get some close up's tomorrow.(sorry)

When I started on the deck it was a flimsy shell (it was basicly a skin coat of glass) now that it has core you can lift the nose and tell it's stiff, no bending (before it was buckeling) With the nose still supported off the ground I stood in the front deck to glass/replace the dashboard wood.