PDA

View Full Version : Trim Limiter

rtgogo
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I recently upgraded the throttle on my 22ZX to the Livosi side mount unit. Ole Merc stuff was junk so I'm really enjoying the new one. I noticed up front that the new unit didn't have the kill switch so we customized the plate and added one at installation. The other "missing" piece I wasn't aware of until a spin in the boat is the trim limiter. It was built into the old merc unit, but not included in the Livorsi setup. I assume I need to add one, but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. Any specific one better than others? I feel it would be a good addition, but again...please help...really appreciate your guidance......

BTW..finally gotta GPS on her and clipped 67.9 the other night....not exactly smooth while I was out so hope for a lil more, but got me thinkin bout winter projects :cool:

thanks for your support!!!

The Hedgehog
06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't use one.

My boat would be all over the place if I trimmed it that high.

mrfixxall
06-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I recently upgraded the throttle on my 22ZX to the Livosi side mount unit. Ole Merc stuff was junk so I'm really enjoying the new one. I noticed up front that the new unit didn't have the kill switch so we customized the plate and added one at installation. The other "missing" piece I wasn't aware of until a spin in the boat is the trim limiter. It was built into the old merc unit, but not included in the Livorsi setup. I assume I need to add one, but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. Any specific one better than others? I feel it would be a good addition, but again...please help...really appreciate your guidance......

BTW..finally gotta GPS on her and clipped 67.9 the other night....not exactly smooth while I was out so hope for a lil more, but got me thinkin bout winter projects :cool:

thanks for your support!!!

Unless you have a HP merc gimble which dont have any trim limiter built into them..The non hp gimble has the trim limiter built into them..are you sure you didnt cross the trailer wire with the trim out wire? Look on the gimble housing and take a look where the gimbal ring pivots,are they crome looking or is their two phillip head screws holding the trim limiter?

justleft
06-23-2008, 05:47 PM
When my Bravo trim limit switch rotted. Even the wire was rotted !!
I added mechanical trim indicator (Eddies).

Not cheap but now I know where I am running at. One look and I know
not to hit the drive out button !!

VetteLT193
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm with MrFix. it's on the drive so you probably have wires crossed. But, you really don't need one. My brother eliminated it on his 22. I'll probably dump it on the Minx shortly. If you trim it that high the prop won't even bite water, and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to beach the boat.

BUIZILLA
06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
with the Livorsi and the Uflex pop-off version you can mate up the trim/tilt wires together, and use one solenoid accordingly, you lose the trim *limit*function, but common sense goes a long way here...

rtgogo
06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the insight guys.....I'll take a look at the outdrive this weekend and post a few shots for discussion.

The outdrive will trim out, just not sure what i may screw up if i take it too far runnin down the water. My rpm's were high on one run (6000+) before I noticed it would push out further than before the upgrade and knew the limiter was gone. I just don't wanna fry anything learnin how to drive her....

thanks!

Planetwarmer
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
If you trim the outdrive too high, it has no lateral support. That is the reason for the trim limit switch. It is also hard on the u joints.:propeller:

The Hedgehog
06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
with the Livorsi and the Uflex pop-off version you can mate up the trim/tilt wires together, and use one solenoid accordingly, you lose the trim *limit*function, but common sense goes a long way here...

Bingo!

You should not have to trim a step hull near that hard.

A non-step hull either for that matter.

rtgogo
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't use a lot of trim usually...just playin with the new throttle and trim switch to get a feel and went to far before I realized the new switch is much better than the ole merc.....Sounds like i'm going to go without for now...doesn't seem like I can screw too much up now that i know the new piece is a bit more sensitive than the old.

Thanks!