PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo problems...

roadtrip se
06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I have the Gaffrig-branded Livorsi setup. It has been in the boat since 2002

At start up, it cycles through the test pattern at 3:00, 12:00, back to 0, and then up 10mph until it finds a satellite, and then cycles back to 0, just like it is supposed to do.

Then it reads a maximum of 8 at 80 mph on the water.

I purchased a new antenna from Livorsi last year after Lake George when I got no reading on the first time to the water, which is when the 8mph problem started. I thought it might be a calibration issue between the old gauge and the new antenna. I shipped them the antenna and the gauge, they took them for a ride, and said they checked out fine. Still the big 8 in the boat.

Today, I checked all of the connections. They seem to be fine measuring 12V and a good ground. All the rest of the gauges work fine and they light up just fine too, with the nav switch on. I tightened up all connections just to be sure.

So now I am focused on the recall switch. At start up, I hold the switch in the erase setting and it stays at 3:00. At start up, I hold the switch in the recall setting and it is supposed to stay at 12:00, but it doesn't. So out it goes, and I'll get a new one.

If this doesn't work, I'm shipping it all back, speedo head, antenna, and new recall switch to them after the 4th.

What PITA.

So anybody have any other ideas what it might be or what I might check? Other than replacing the head, I am lost.

RedDog
06-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Then it reads a maximum of 8 at 80 mph on the water.

There has to be a wise ass comment here somewhere.... :propeller:
BTW - I'm back on the water

roadtrip se
06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
after the fun it sounded like you were having...

Glad you sorted it out...

The speedo is accurate, minus a zero. Maybe the old girl is trying to tell me something.

I'm leaning towards buying a new speedo head, if the recall switch doesn't get it done. It has got to be a reverse compatability issue.

Air 22
06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Todd...While your at it re-install your Drive shower:smash:...I did and gained 5mph...so now theoretically your speedo would read 85gps:drive::)

RedDog
06-23-2008, 07:09 AM
what would happen if you temporarily wired it directly to your battery?

Trueser
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Are you going to have it in Michigan this week?

harbormaster
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Todd, Who are you working with at Livorsi?

I usually work with Todd Z with great success. If you need to buy anything from livorsi, let me know I can get you 25% off their price.

Scot

roadtrip se
06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
No 22 for the Cig Run. She is back in hiding, which was the plan for 2008, until we started breaking stuff at AOTH.

Scot, you were right on. I called in to Livorsi and asked for Fred, but got Todd this morning. He stated that they have uncovered that the newer antenna I ordered last year doesn't work with gauges bulit before 2005.

Nice to know for anyone here, who might pick up some older gauges used.

Todd asked that I send the gauge and the antenna back for testing. What chaps me, is that I sent the package back to them twice last summer, and they said they tested out fine. Some test.

Hopefully, this will be the end of finding the problem.

Now, the next issue will be that if I have to swap to a new speedo head, I have "Gaffrig by Livorsi" faces, so the old face will need to go on the new gauge. It would be easier, if they just swapped out the antenna with something that works.

Scot, thanks for the discount offer. If I have to buy something, I'll come to you.

Technology is great when it works.

gcarter
06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
No 22 for the Cig Run. She is back in hiding, which was the plan for 2008, until we started breaking stuff at AOTH.
Scot, you were right on. I called in to Livorsi and asked for Fred, but got Todd this morning. He stated that they have uncovered that the newer antenna I ordered last year doesn't work with gauges bulit before 2005.
Nice to know for anyone here, who might pick up some older gauges used.
Todd asked that I send the gauge and the antenna back for testing. What chaps me, is that I sent the package back to them twice last summer, and they said they tested out fine. Some test.
Hopefully, this will be the end of finding the problem.
Now, the next issue will be that if I have to swap to a new speedo head, I have "Gaffrig by Livorsi" faces, so the old face will need to go on the new gauge. It would be easier, if they just swapped out the antenna with something that works.
Scot, thanks for the discount offer. If I have to buy something, I'll come to you.
Technology is great when it works.
Todd, I don't know if you remember, but last year during the Trick Marine debacle, I ended up w/a 180 MPH Gaffrig GPS speedo gauge. Before Fred bought it back, I contacted Gaffrig about having it recalibrated. They told me it wasn't economically feasible, that they were sealed during assembly.
I know this doesn't do anything in a positive sense, but it may help what direction you take.

roadtrip se
06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Scott, if you can find it, I would like to try that old receiver. I can try it over the July 4th weekend, and at least then I'll know how fast I was going when Byron blows by me like I am standing still. I need the modular plug-in on the back of the gauge, not the three wire type. Thanks for looking.

Heard from Dwight, he said Livorsi swapped out face plates for him free of charge recently in 2006.

George, I do remember your Trick fun. Fortunately, it isn't a recalibartaion that I would need, just swap of face plates from 100 sweep to another.

mrfixxall
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
"Gaffrig by Livorsi" that would be a livorsi guage,Gafferig had nothing to do with livorsi when those guages were produced. Livorsi put Gafferigs name on their guages for advertising to get the livorsi name out in public and gafferig had nothing to do with the livorsis name which now has ben setteled in court..

Mike at Gafferig would be willing to test your speedo and antenna and will give you a correct answer on whats wrong with the livorsi product..
If i ever had a problem with a gafferig product and it didnt matter if it was new or 5 yrs old mike at gafferig would exchange it for free:)
Give him a call @ http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Gaffrig/contact.cfm

Good luck

P.s. your speedo may be made by either a chinese copany or by autometer..

roadtrip se
06-25-2008, 06:21 AM
"Gaffrig by Livorsi" that would be a livorsi guage,Gafferig had nothing to do with livorsi when those guages were produced. Livorsi put Gafferigs name on their guages for advertising to get the livorsi name out in public and gafferig had nothing to do with the livorsis name which now has ben setteled in court..
Mike at Gafferig would be willing to test your speedo and antenna and will give you a correct answer on whats wrong with the livorsi product..
If i ever had a problem with a gafferig product and it didnt matter if it was new or 5 yrs old mike at gafferig would exchange it for free:)
Give him a call @ http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Gaffrig/contact.cfm
Good luck
P.s. your speedo may be made by either a chinese copany or by autometer..

I have been dealing with Livorsi. Wish me luck...

BUIZILLA
06-25-2008, 06:46 AM
just swap of face plates from 100 sweep to another. get ahold of Tripple Digits, he may have an 85 face for ya... i'm sure he needs a 100 face right about now... :smash:

or vice versa...

sorry about the hijack.... :angel:

roadtrip se
06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
if I swap my 100 mile face plate for Tripple's 85, I might stop spending so much money and effort trying to hit the bigger number. NOT.

Kind of like the old cars we had as teenagers that we used to bury the speedos on, just because it was there in front of us.

Off the tracks now.

VetteLT193
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I thought as part of the lawsuit Livorsi couldn't let a gauge out that has a Gaffrig name on it.

roadtrip se
07-31-2008, 12:56 PM
It was a reverse compatability issue. Older gauge (2002) doesn't like the newer puck (2007).

Problem was that Livorsi utilizes a test kit with an old style antenna puck that works on the old stuff and the new stuff, so they didn't catch it.

They have swapped out my antenna for one that has the old programming in it and I'll have it shortly. Problem solved.

So it won't be too long before I know how fast I'm not going yet again.

Thanks to Livorsi for stepping up to my problem, at least the one they can fix.

txtaz
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
So it won't be too long before I know how fast I'm not going yet again.

OMG, I cannot believe I missed this thread...

Todd, did you check for rubber duckies stuck on the gps antenna?

Da Taz<---Runs away and hides from the repercussions.:eek!::eek!::eek!:

MOP
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Stirring the pot!!!!!!! These GPS speedo's transmit their data to an analog display, seems to me a regular GPS's digital display will always give you spot on readings where as analogs are notorious for deviation!

Air 22
07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Tripper...Now lets NOT forget the 5mph you'll gain by ducking your head....:hangum::nilly::nilly: :crossfing: :crossfing: :crossfing: :)

gcarter
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Kind of like the old cars we had as teenagers that we used to bury the speedos on, just because it was there in front of us.
Off the tracks now.
If you had the 180 MPH speedo I sent back, then you'd have something a little higher to shoot for.:nilly::bonk:

gcarter
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Tripper...Now lets NOT forget the 5mph you'll gain by ducking your head....:hangum::nilly::nilly: :crossfing: :crossfing: :crossfing: :)
Or remove the windshield and cover the ****pit w/some sort of hard cover.
That would have to be good for 10 MPH.

roadtrip se
07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
I was expecting these kind of responses, but you run with this pack, expect a whack across side the head more often than not.

Let's just say we are trying to get our instruments in proper callibration for the upcoming round of "freshening."

Now George might be on to something with the toneau cover aerodynamics theory... and a classic look to boot.