PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kalitta Has passed away.

MOP
06-22-2008, 06:47 AM
http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30033.htm

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2008, 07:44 AM
It happened right in front of me. I was at Raceway park yesterday. We felt the explosion in the stands.

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2008, 08:06 AM
From where we were sitting, we saw the explosion from the front of the car that just threw the body work from the car....then the chutes just disintigrated. I suspect that the initial exposion would have knocked him on conconsious. It vas VERY quiet in the pits for the rest of the day.

Carl C
06-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Very sad. The Kalittas have strong ties to Detroit where Conrad (Connie) started racing many years ago. Connie and Scott are/were both very likeable people. Fortunately drag racing has become quite safe so this is a rare occurence now. It's been a rough year for Connie. One of his aircraft crashed overseas not long ago.

hardcrab
06-22-2008, 08:57 AM
From where we were sitting, we saw the explosion from the front of the car that just threw the body work from the car....then the chutes just disintigrated. I suspect that the initial exposion would have knocked him on conconsious. It vas VERY quiet in the pits for the rest of the day.
I was there also.
We were sitting in the bleachers in front of the pit area, close to the traps.
My impression was just as you described it. When they announced immediatly after the crash that there would be "at least an hours delay to repair the track", it just seemed as if they were softenig the blow of the tragic news to follow.
At approx. 5:30 pm - 1 1/2 hrs after the crash, we were walking thru the pit area and were watching as Connie Kalltta, Doug Kalitta, Kenny Bernstien and Brandon Bernstien hugging in consolation. Connie, being with his team and comrades, and not by his sons side was when it was obvious the worst had happened.
I never did hear a track announcement other than "continual track repairs are nessecary". We left around 6:30 and heard the official word via cell phone from friends who saw it on the news.

mrfixxall
06-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Heres a vid of the crash,,SHOCKING!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

gcarter
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I watched a bit of it.....but I was wondering, did the large explosion occur when the car hit the catch fence?
If so, I wonder if an arresting gear similar to an aircraft carrier could have helped??????
If it would have, think about how much lighter these cars are than planes.

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
It appeared (from my vantage point anyway) that the explosion occured just as he was crossing the finish line.

mrfixxall
06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I watched a bit of it.....but I was wondering, did the large explosion occur when the car hit the catch fence?
If so, I wonder if an arresting gear similar to an aircraft carrier could have helped??????
If it would have, think about how much lighter these cars are than planes.

George,at the enfd of the tralk at english town theirs a concrete wall with a fence on top of it,,the wall is what he ended up running in to..Thease cars will burn 15+ gallons of 80% nitro mixed with alchol which is mounted in the front of the car..The motors are so loose theirs alot of nitro that goes past the rings and end up into the crank case and the oil tank,thats why you see them tearing the engine down after every race. The first explosion was peobably from the engine coming apart and all the oil and nitro mix in the oil caused the first fire and when it hit the wall then the nitro tank exploaded..

When they first the car they start it on alchol then switch it to the nitro,not bad 3000 extra hp from switching fuels..theirs just a forward and reverse box in thease cars and everything else is in the clutch, once the clutch is released and as the car goes faster more force is applyed to the clutch to make it go faster..and thats why you see the guys remove the clutch pack and replace the pack with a new one after each run also..so when the engine exploads like it did theirs nothing left in the engine (it free wheels) to slow the car down at 300 mph..

gcarter
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
George,at the enfd of the tralk at english town theirs a concrete wall with a fence on top of it,,the wall is what he ended up running in to..Thease cars will burn 15+ gallons of 80% nitro mixed with alchol which is mounted in the front of the car..The motors are so loose theirs alot of nitro that goes past the rings and end up into the crank case and the oil tank,thats why you see them tearing the engine down after every race. The first explosion was peobably from the engine coming apart and all the oil and nitro mix in the oil caused the first fire and when it hit the wall then the nitro tank exploaded..
When they first the car they start it on alchol then switch it to the nitro,not bad 3000 extra hp from switching fuels..theirs just a forward and reverse box in thease cars and everything else is in the clutch, once the clutch is released and as the car goes faster more force is applyed to the clutch to make it go faster..and thats why you see the guys remove the clutch pack and replace the pack with a new one after each run also..so when the engine exploads like it did theirs nothing left in the engine (it free wheels) to slow the car down at 300 mph..

Mike, that's what I thought.
In this case, it may have been a case of "no one home" and no way to stop even if he had been conscious.
I was curious if in such a situation an idea like mine would work?
It could even be overhead.
Maybe it wouldn't even be more expensive than adding the "Safer Barrier" to the oval tracks.
I mean, hitting a wall at 300 MPH would be pretty final no matter what.

BUIZILLA
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
the reason that wall is there is because Pension Road runs right behind it just after the tree's..... it's a short dirt box, then a stubby wall, i've run there several times, and had to use the far turnoff one time myself.....

Carl C
06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
That's crazy if there is a wall there. Our local drag strip at Milan ends at a corn field. I think things will change there. There should be a sand pit, nets, tires, anything but a wall.:( It sucks but I guess we all know the risks of motorsports.

mrfixxall
06-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike, that's what I thought.
In this case, it may have been a case of "no one home" and no way to stop even if he had been conscious.
I was curious if in such a situation an idea like mine would work?
It could even be overhead.
Maybe it wouldn't even be more expensive than adding the "Safer Barrier" to the oval tracks.
I mean, hitting a wall at 300 MPH would be pretty final no matter what.

I agree their should be some kind of emergency stopping of some sort, i have a idea and mabe ill submit it to the nhra..you would think the parashoots on the cars would be made fire proof but their not even close..(probably because nothing is as strong as nylon) you can see in the vid that he was still in a clear state of mind after the first expolsion that he did pull the shoots but the fire engulfed them..

Carl C
06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Anything but a brick wall. wtf? Here is Connie's plane that crashed just recently. No one was hurt bad:). http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d3f_1211722669

Marlin275
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Because of Scott they are changing the rules.

For as long as anyone can remember, the official length of a professional drag race has been a quarter of a mile, or 1,320 feet (though there are eighth-mile tracks as well). But because of the dangers associated with the increasing speeds of Top Fuel and Funny Car drag race cars, that’s about to change.

Top Fuel cars — the long, pointy dragsters — cross the finish line at well over 300 miles per hour. Funny Cars, which run only a fraction of a second slower, have comparable top speeds.

Following the death of the Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta last month, the National Hot Rod Association has deemed the cars too fast. It is shortening the race distance to 1,000 feet for Top Fuel and Funny Car classes, beginning with this weekend’s event in Denver.

According to Doug Herbert, who drives in the Top Fuel class, some of the tracks “were designed and built 30 years ago when cars weren’t running 300 m.p.h.” The shorter distance will also allow the cars more run-off room to slow down after crossing the finish line.

“It is just like any of the other series,” Seth Angel, general manager of Houston Raceway Park, told the Houston Chronicle. “The IndyCar Series has made rule changes to slow down the cars, while Nascar has gone to restrictor plates to slow their cars down. The N.H.R.A. will find the best way to do this for all the race teams, so that it is a universal change.”

But the N.H.R.A.’s decision is more like shortening the Indy 500 to 400 miles. And so far, reactions from drivers have been mixed.

“It’s one of the few things that could be done immediately to reduce speeds,” said John Force, a 14-time Funny Car champion, noting that shortening the racecourse was one of several options considered. His cautious viewpoint that was echoed by several other drivers.

Some teams, however, feel that the N.H.R.A. decision is not the right solution because it will have only a marginal effect on safety.

“I don’t think shortening the track is what’s going to help stop these events, because 99.9 percent of the time we’re not having a tough time stopping the cars,” Jonny West, crew chief for Jack Beckman’s Funny Car, told the San Bernardino Sun. “It’s just when we get in trouble and you can’t stop them.

“Another 320 feet isn’t going to do it, in my opinion.”

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/drag-racing-faces-fundamental-changes/index.html?hp

zelatore
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
My understanding is the 1000' race is just a stop-gap until the end of the season when they can actually make some significant changes.

I can't believe they would permanently shorten the runs to 1000'. There's just too much history in running the full 1320.

I do have to wonder how much good 320 feet will do at nearly 300 mph. Although I've seen interviews with some drivers who think it will help.

It seems like the real problem is tracks that can't make upgrades for more run-off. As noted earlier, too many tracks simply have no room to expand. And we know how the regular voting public loves a drag strip. :smash:

Carl C
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't like it. The Mile High Nationals are on now on ESPN 2. Even the pro-stock cars are running 1,000' which is stupid. What they should do is outlaw stone walls at the end of the strips and maybe slow down the top-fuelers a little.

Zinger
07-14-2008, 01:31 AM
After watching the crash it looks like he went thru the fence and hit an aerial lift on the over side . If that was not there he might have surived. vary said to see a driver or anyone lose there live premature.

McGary911
09-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Not good:

NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE
OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 17, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State Police Fatal Accident Unit Releases Findings on Drag Strip Crash that Claimed Life of Scott Kalitta

West Trenton, N.J. - The New Jersey State Police has concluded its investigation of the motor vehicle racing crash that claimed the life of NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta. The crash happened on June 21, 2008 at 4:20 p.m. during the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNational drag racing event at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NJSP Fatal Accident Investigation Unit has provided the following description of the crash: Scott Kalitta occupied the right lane in a 1/4-mile (qualifying) drag race against opponent Tony Bartone and was operating a 2008 Toyota Solara Top Fuel Funny Car. Shortly after the race began, Bartone’s vehicle experienced an equipment failure and its speed slowed substantially. Moments later, Kalitta’s vehicle experienced a catastrophic mechanical failure resulting in a fuel-fired explosion prior to the quarter-mile finish line. Kalitta’s vehicle crossed the 1/4 mile mark 0.716 seconds later, at a speed of 300.73 MPH. At the time of the explosion, the rear portion of the vehicle’s fiberglass body separated from the vehicle causing deployment of the damaged parachute system.

Evidence discovered in Kalitta’s lane revealed that he had applied mechanical braking and maintained steering control of the vehicle throughout the 2235-foot-long “shutdown” portion of the racetrack. Post crash examination of the vehicle further revealed the clutch system to be locked, maintaining engine power to the rear wheels. Witnesses and audio recordings reveal the vehicle’s engine firing throughout the shutdown portion of the racetrack, which further reinforced the fact that the vehicle’s engine was still providing power for some period of time.

The vehicle continued from the point of engine failure to the end of the racetrack (approx. 2300') on fire over the course of approximately 7.07 seconds. Upon reaching the end of the paved racetrack, Kalitta’s vehicle entered a “run-off” area constructed of pea gravel at a speed of approximately 125 mph and was positioned near the center of the racetrack’s right lane. As Kalitta’s racecar entered the “run-off” area, the front of the vehicle appeared to pitch upward, allowing air under the vehicle’s fiberglass nose resulting in its separation from the chassis. Over the course of the following .5-second, the vehicle took flight and traveled toward the right side of the run-off area and over the western concrete retaining wall. Immediately thereafter, the vehicle impacted a steel post that supported the right side of a cargo net which was in place to stop race vehicles from passing this area of the racetrack. This impact was specific to the right side of the vehicle and caused separation of the right front suspension components and damage to the right side engine exhaust system. The vehicle continued forward and impacted a piece of heavy equipment (JLG model 600S telescopic boom lift vehicle with a specified (dry) weight of 22,750 pounds), which was positioned outside the “run-off” area by the ESPN television crew. This impact caused catastrophic damage to the vehicle and additional separation of chassis components and the vehicle’s engine. Beyond the boom lift vehicle, a Chevrolet van and a Suzuki Ozark ATV, which were also positioned by ESPN television crew, were damaged by collision debris. The largest portion of the race vehicle came to rest in a grassy area 250' south of the shutdown area and 153' from the initial pole impact. Scott Kalitta was contained in this portion of the race vehicle and had sustained fatal blunt force injuries. A review of information provided by Delphi, which was recorded by accelerometers, mounted to the Kalitta vehicle revealed multiple impacts producing over 100G, with some approaching or exceeding 200G. No information was obtained from the RacePac data recorder installed in the Kalitta vehicle. Post mortem examination confirmed that Scott Kalitta’s death was caused by multiple blunt trauma injuries.

The New Jersey State Police Fatal Accident Investigation Unit has identified the following items to be noteworthy or contributory in the occurrence of this incident:

Engine Failure
The stimulus behind the sequence of events leading to the death of Scott Kalitta was a massive failure of the vehicle’s engine. Although not uncommon in Top Fuel drag racing, the exact diagnosis and chronological succession of the engine failure in this incident was beyond the scope of the State Police investigation. After post-crash inspection of Kalitta’s vehicle components by the NJSP, the vehicle was turned over to the NHRA and, ultimately Kalitta Motorsports.

Fuel Flow Interruption
After failure of the engine in the Kalitta vehicle, a fire ensued which survived for more than seven seconds, throughout the crash sequence. Additionally, fuel continued to be fed to the engine, either residually or via remaining fuel routing from the fuel tank. This engine power handicapped the capability of the mechanical brake system. Had the driver been rendered unconscious or temporarily unable to apply mechanical braking after the engine explosion and parachute failure, the vehicle’s deceleration over the next ½ mile would have been minimal.

Insufficient Braking
Despite approx. 1832’ of intermittent tire marks to indicate the functionality of all four brake systems, the vehicle’s speed was reduced slightly over 50% in the last ½ mile of the racetrack. The initial engine explosion and loss of body components, deployment and minimal expansion of the parachute system as well as the vehicle’s suspension system and tire pressure and composition may have contributed to a loss of tire contact, which made braking partially ineffective. Additionally, the clutch system was found to be locked which maintained engine power to the rear wheels.

>Insufficient Auxiliary Braking (parachute failure)
The vehicle’s parachute system was deployed (but did not blossom) at the time of the explosion when the rear portion of the vehicle’s fiberglass body separated. Post crash inspection revealed substantial damage to the parachute system. This damage included tearing, burning, and tangling assumed to be caused by the engine explosion, ensuing fire, body separation, and spoilage of air over the remaining vehicle chassis, and high speed ground contact.

Driver Toxicology
Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

Fixed Object Impacts
Upon entering the “run-off” area and impacting the pea gravel, Kalitta’s race vehicle took flight at a speed of approximately 125 MPH. The vehicle sailed over the western retaining wall and its right front tire rubbed the concrete wall before the vehicle impacted the western “catch net” support post. This (8.5" diameter x 7' high) hollow steel post was protected on its northern and southern sides by the concrete barrier by its position within the barrier, but extended above the wall with no attenuation.

After impact with the cargo net support pole, the Kalitta vehicle continued 15' from the pole impact before impacting the cast iron counterbalance portion of an aerial boom lift vehicle, which was in place to position a remote television camera over the center of the racetrack. As the impact continued, the Kalitta vehicle made multiple impacts with this 23,000 lb. vehicle and its extended boom component.

The New Jersey State Police Fatal Accident Investigation Unit, as the sole agency with responsibility to regulate the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations (N.J.S.A. 13:62) has concluded this investigation and has forwarded all reports to the Office of the Middlesex County Prosecutor for review. After this review, further safety recommendations will be discussed between the NJSP, the NHRA, and all three of New Jersey’s licensed 1/4-mile (drag racing) racetracks.

samjannarone
09-22-2008, 09:05 AM
God this is bad stuff, 100g's... Cant they install a transmitter 100 feet past the finish line that would send a signal to the fuel system to shut off completely? Apparently the car continued through the runoff area under power, making the brakes useless. And they should study how the navy stops jets that cant hit a wire.

Carl C
09-22-2008, 09:26 AM
God this is bad stuff, 100g's... Cant they install a transmitter 100 feet past the finish line that would send a signal to the fuel system to shut off completely? Apparently the car continued through the runoff area under power, making the brakes useless. And they should study how the navy stops jets that cant hit a wire. I suspect that may be part of the changes. Monster trucks have used a remote shut-off for years.