PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Steering bracket ??? Who makes one?

Lenny
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Does anyone make a bracket for the "older 280" that will accept the newer style Sea-Star helms cable ?

What I am trying to do is use a NEW planetary gear system (cable type) and anchor it to the two top bolts of the 280 transom assembly, or side bolts, or whatever. My boat NEVER came with the extra bolt hole in the transom but I will put one there if need be.

Anyone got a diagram or part number?

My old system relied on the exhaust manifolds for support but they are now Stainless Marine. No longer an option, don't want to anyway.

Your thoughts?

(No, I am not changing this one to a Merc. :rolleyes: )

X-18

penbroke
06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I might have what you need. I'll look around the garage and let you know...

Frank

mrfixxall
06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Lenny is it the piece that holds the cable? This is what i use on my x..

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/1-SA27055P.htm

penbroke
06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
OK. Here's what I have. It's a 16+in. chunk of 3" x 3" x 1/4" angle with a tab welded on it. It came out of my Bayliner project boat (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24426) and goes behind the top two nuts for the transom shield. There is an access hole to get at the grease fitting at the top of the steering fork shaft and a hole in the tab for the ball swivel that anchors the end of the cable. I think I have the swivel piece in the garage in a box behind a car and a couple of boats...

The piece is very heavy both from a shipping and a weight in the stern point of view. If it will work for you you're welcome to it but I would suggest you copy it in aluminum. I can give you a drawing.

Frank

maddad
06-21-2008, 10:46 PM
This was bolted to the port stringer when I used a cable. I added a few gussets to get rid of the flex in the original bolted on stud.

MOP
06-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Lenny I am pretty sure I have the transom mount assy pictured in Mr. FA's post in stainless and brandy new, I have to poke through my treasure trove. I'll let you know in a day or two.

Phil

BigGrizzly
06-22-2008, 09:36 AM
This piece should still be available from Volvo. All it is is the steering cable tube like mad dad showed but in stead of the bracket it has a plate welded to the tube that bolts to the transome assembly. I believe Honda Canada has a similar bracket for their outboards. Paul Mooney at Honda Canada may be of some help. BTW the Volvo unit is all aluminum

BigGrizzly
06-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Here is a pictures if it won't upload look at my post on steerig for old volvos.

Lenny
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
please send to highlnd@telus.net

:)

Yes everyone, that is the "kind" of thing I am looking for.

BigGrizzly
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Here you go Lenny sent the E-mail. The hydraulic ran screws directly on to the bracket.

penbroke
06-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Lenny, Maybe you could post it here so the rest of us might learn...

Frank

BigGrizzly
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Lets try again

maddad
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
The earlier photo I posted was how the cable was held. When I changed to an internal hydraulic setup, I made up this bracket that uses the two top bolts of the Volvo bellhousing.

Lenny
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Actually, what I am looking for is the bracket that hangs onto the cable and bolts through the transom...

You know, that ugly bolt thing on the transom of the older Volvo boats.

Anyone got a pic/part number/sketch of that and the location for the hole?

MOP
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Actually, what I am looking for is the bracket that hangs onto the cable and bolts through the transom...
You know, that ugly bolt thing on the transom of the older Volvo boats.
Anyone got a pic/part number/sketch of that and the location for the hole?

I will try to let you know by tomorrow if I can find it!

BigGrizzly
06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Lenny are you sure. I would not do that ever again. That bracket looks just like the one Maddad showes but wit an extension all thread nut. What happens is it starts to wallow the bolt hole out then rots the transom. It took 3 months on our 16 to do this. also when itg is mounted as original it is right on and below the water line when sitting it mount at the top of the Volvo drive unit.

penbroke
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought that was the type you wanted to avoid. The angle bracket I posted first seems like a much better solution but since you asked, here's mine. It is high enough to stay out of the water. It goes in the open hole in the last photo. I can measure anything you need...

Frank