PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged LS series Marine SB

CJmike
06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.gm.com/explore/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/2009_6200_LSA_Marine.pdf

Looks like a sweet little small block is coming out from GM's marine division.

BUIZILLA
06-21-2008, 01:08 PM
nice package...

that PREMIUM FUEL ONLY clause might be a deal breaker though...

gcarter
06-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Weight??
Down at the bottom in the specs, it says 467#. I would assume that's stripped.

gcarter
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Betcha the base engine is in the $15K-$18K range.

dclassic
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
They have the 8.1 listed as 727lbs and 419hp and 503lb/ft
vs
LSA at 467lbs and 540hp and 540lb/ft

That will be an awesome alternative to a hefty BBC! I would speculate the weight savings would do good for the classics handling and speed. With some work it should give the Ilmor v10's a run! Speaking of... any updates on Mr. X's V10 project? I'm dying to see it!

Mr X
06-21-2008, 03:30 PM
They have the 8.1 listed as 727lbs and 419hp and 503lb/ft
vs
LSA at 467lbs and 540hp and 540lb/ft

That will be an awesome alternative to a hefty BBC! I would speculate the weight savings would do good for the classics handling and speed. With some work it should give the Ilmor v10's a run! Speaking of... any updates on Mr. X's V10 project? I'm dying to see it!

Funny you should ask! Maiden voyage was two weeks ago.
It greatly exceeded all of our expectations!
It just came out of final paint yesterday.
Thats all I am allowed to say right now...
I will post a few pics, as soon as I can,
thanks for asking.

Pismo
06-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Torque is always the question with the small block but they seem to have that covered. Nice and flat, good low end. 9.1:1 on a supercharged is the premium gas only problem. Long term reliability would my only concern (and price of course). Would love the weight savings.

BlownCrewCab
06-21-2008, 05:35 PM
I have always been the #1 fan of the old small block chevy, Now that I have tinkered and Learned more about the LS motors I had to give in to change. Thats almost the same motor I have in the crewcab and all I can say Is WOW, They are Bad Azz, Standard redline is 6k. Adding the SuperCharger Exceeded My expectations (and My Tire Budget) These are the Killer motors of the future and Theres already a Huge aftermarket (of car stuff/ Internals, Blowers, Head, Etc) If I was to spend the Jack and Build another Monster It would be an Ls based block...

harbormaster
06-22-2008, 06:32 AM
I had learned of this engine a few months ago. I think it is basically the corvette engine. As with the earlier zr1 corvette, Mercruiser built the aluminum block engine for GM because of their experience with aluminum outboard motor casting experience. Merc had a clause that allowed them to use this engine in Marine appications after one year of production.

They had alot of problems with the supercharger on this engine.

There is already an awesome high tech small block out there. RAYLAR engine development has a 525 hp 440 cid aluminum block engine out there on the market. It is naturally asperated and comes with closed cooling and stainless steel headers. It also comes with software to fine tune it for folks who like to play with the kobs.

I believe they are about 25k

VERY NICE!

http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html

Greg K
06-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Same engine that is going in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V and Corvette, premium recommended but not required. Text below from Cadillac:

Engine
Type: 6.2L supercharged V-8 (LSA)
Displacement (cu in / cc): 376 / 6162
Bore & stroke (in / mm): 4.06 / 103.25 x 3.62 / 92 mm
Block material: cast aluminum
Cylinder head material: cast aluminum
Valvetrain: overhead valve, 2 valves per cylinder; 0.492-in (12.5 mm) lift
Supercharger: Gen. 6 R19 with single brick intercooler; 1.9L displacement w/4-lobe rotor design
Fuel delivery: SFI; center feed
Ignition: direct-mount ignition coils; extended-life dual platinum-tipped spark plugs
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm): 550 / 410 @ 6200 (est)
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 550 / 745 @ 4000 (est)
Recommended fuel: premium recommended but not required
Maximum engine speed (rpm): TBD
Additional features: pan-mounted oil cooler; cast pistons; high-flow cylinder heads; block-mounted piston squirters; steel crankshaft w/ 8-bolt flange; close-mounted converters; acoustic engine cover; E67 engine controller
Estimated fuel economy: TBD

nice package...
that PREMIUM FUEL ONLY clause might be a deal breaker though...

LKSD
06-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Yes cool engine & I ain't askeeered of boost, but the $$ for the exhaust on that newer generation SB is a little scary.. lol :) Jamie

zimm17
06-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Price will be the factor. What a sweet retrofit. Save few hundred pounds, maybe save some some fuel, and I bet it'll more reliable. Easier to get into the engine compartment too. I'd love to have one.

BigGrizzly
06-22-2008, 10:04 AM
One more thing that isn't mentioned or I missed it. It has to be a closed colling system or there will be big trouble. Also notice the exhaust on the engine pictured it is wrong. Garry had a prototype a while ago, but I missed it, I was doing my dashboard. He though it was a good idea- mainly because he does a lot of work on this platform. The fuel economy is pretty good even thoe4 it is premium. He did say with a little work he could get it to work on 89.

gcarter
06-22-2008, 10:15 AM
One more thing that isn't mentioned or I missed it. It has to be a closed colling system or there will be big trouble. Also notice the exhaust on the engine pictured it is wrong. Garry had a prototype a while ago, but I missed it, I was doing my dashboard. He though it was a good idea- mainly because he does a lot of work on this platform. The fuel economy is pretty good even thoe4 it is premium. He did say with a little work he could get it to work on 89.
Randy, I think that is basically a picture of the blown Corvette engine. I suppose theorettically there shouldn't be any exhaust manifolds in that picture. And I agree, if the engine in the picture were dressed, it'd have closed cooling.

zimm17
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Any blower motor is going to need premium. So I'm used to that. I wouldn't mind the 50HP drop from my motor to loose 300 pounds off the back of the boat. Plus that thing is a new generation motor- better sealing, more reliability, more compact, lighter, efficient, etc.

mrfixxall
06-22-2008, 11:35 AM
With all the $$$$ they have you would think they would show a marine version instead of a car engine!