PDA

View Full Version : 1972 18' 2+3 update

bobwpe
06-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I guess it's time to post a long overdue update on the status of this project. I'll start with the paint which was done in late December last year. The first pic is when I first picked the boat up and the second one is about a year later with new gelcoat being finished on the bottom and the topsides sanded down to the original blue gel. Next is new topside paint (Awlgrip) followed by the bootstripe.

All this work was done by a really great glass guy who has helped me on other projects over the years. In fact I did not buy this boat until he assured me that he would be able to handle this portion of the project.

My hat really goes off to guys like gcarter, Bill and a few others who have the ability and perseverence required for this kind of work. If I want it to come out right I am better off keeping my distance which is one thing I am good at!

At this point, the engine and drive are in (for the last time I hope) and the deck should be back on within the next month. From there it's paint for the deck and final assembly. It looks like I will be able to meet my projected launch date of Labor Day, I'm just not sure which year.:smash:

gcarter
06-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Gel and paint came out really nice Bob! :smash:
Good luck with it.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Does your 1972 have the engine scoop like my 1971? I can't really tell by the pictures. I know the open fiberglass scoop was not installed on many Donzis - just curious. I have included a link to the picture of my scoop since I have already uploaded it.
Gelcoating the bottom and repainting the sides and deck can be an expensive undertaking so I hope your friend is reasonable. It looks great by the pictures! About 5 years ago, I painted a friend's 22' 2+3 from the original black gelcoat to a very dark blue Imron that I suggested over his original choice of a medium blue. It was a georgeous color that he really liked after agreeing to my suggestion. Your boat reminded me of that color. My friend was complimented almost every time he took it out so I felt great about the choice of blue.
What engine/outdrive package are you going to install?
I hope your boat is ready by Labor Day. Here in north Texas, that is my favorite time of year for boating when it cools off a little. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36232&d=1211698939

bobwpe
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words and all your help George.

This boat had a scoop facing forward when I got it and the cutout on the hatch beneath it faces forward also, so that may be original.

As far as power and drive, I was fortunate enough to win an ebay auction for a nearly new 2004 Donzi 18 that had fallen off a rack in a hurricane and totalled the hull. It had a 350 Mag. MPI with an alpha drive which I originally planned on using. I am using the engine which probably has about 20 hrs. on it based on what I've been told. I was going to use the drive but I really felt it should be a counter rotating drive because the helm is on the port side. After searching and reading this board for about 2 years I finally came to the conclusion that I would have to bite the bullet and get a new Bravo 1 drive and transom assembly, which is what I did.

Here's a few more pics.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words and all your help George.

This boat had a scoop facing forward when I got it and the cutout on the hatch beneath it faces forward also, so that may be original.

As far as power and drive, I was fortunate enough to win an ebay auction for a nearly new 2004 Donzi 18 that had fallen off a rack in a hurricane and totalled the hull. It had a 350 Mag. MPI with an alpha drive which I originally planned on using. I am using the engine which probably has about 20 hrs. on it based on what I've been told. I was going to use the drive but I really felt it should be a counter rotating drive because the helm is on the port side. After searching and reading this board for about 2 years I finally came to the conclusion that I would have to bite the bullet and get a new Bravo 1 drive and transom assembly, which is what I did.

Here's a few more pics.

Bob,
It sounds like you will have a very good reliable engine/drive setup. The Bravo is hard to beat and shifts so effortlessly with no dog gears to tear up. I see in the one picture where the transom has been filled and cut for the Mercruiser. Out of curiosity, did Mercruiser make a counter rotating alpha drive?
I asked about the engine scoop since I have never seen one like my 1971 came with originally. Although my scoop looks great (in my opinion), it does have a problem with flooding the engine if you slow down too quickly with water coming in from behind - not a good scenario! In fact, I am thinking about adding a baffle of sorts to stop the problem since I like the look.
Best of luck completing your 1972. You will have a great looking and dependable ride. What trim tabs, gauges, and steering are you going to install? Bill

bobwpe
06-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Mercruiser does make a counter rotating alpha and I was looking for one when a search on this forum turned up a post by MOP where he didn't recommend putting more than 250 H.P. through one. Nothing like the voice of experience so I went with the bravo and now I don't have to worry about it.

I want to get this boat to look as close to original as possible but with modern running gear and emphasis on simplicity. I'm using a trapezoidal dash panel (thanks Rootsy) with Teleflex guages but the speedo is going to be an analog GPS in the same location as the original. Still looking for the trim switch panel and passenger side grab rail.

Here's a couple pics of the electrical so far.

bobwpe
10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
After numerous delays over the summer the deck is back on and the paint is done. :clap: Now it's time to do all the things I "left to deal with later":eek:
Here are a few pics. Note the MadPoodle signature series trailer in the first pic!

BUIZILLA
10-25-2008, 04:28 PM
can't be a MP trailer.. :lifeprese:

that's a Buizilla model, single axle, correct width, correct length...

anonymous :kingme:

chappy
10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Showroom shine, can't beat that. Very impressive work.

kramsay1234
10-25-2008, 05:58 PM
All I can say is gorgeous! That is going to be one great looking boat. Looks like brand new...

BUIZILLA
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
boat looks better than new.. :pimp:

bobwpe
10-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks Everyone,

All I can say is that Awlgrip is truly a miracle of Chemical Engineering. The guy that did the work was meticulous in prep and first class all the way.

I just got the hatch back so I'll try and post some pics of it tomorrow.

bobwpe
10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Here's a few pics of the hatch.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Bob,
Your Donzi looks great! Blue is actually one of my favorite colors, but I was obligated to restore mine to the red and white. Thanks for the pictures. From your pictures, it doesn't look like you will be installing carpet - correct? I hope to see more pictures as it progresses. Bill

bobwpe
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
From your pictures, it doesn't look like you will be installing carpet - correct?

No, I have a new Bilt-Rite carpet to go with my new Bilt-Rite interior :biggrin:. The interior was the first thing I bought for this boat becase I learned from this site that Bilt-Rite was the only way to go (that was 4 yrs. ago). I figured prices wouldn't get any lower and they might not be around forever. Turned out to be a wise investment.:yes:

bobwpe
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I never thought it would get this far.:smash: Should be going in the water on Fri. :yippie: I want to thank Scot VanAlstine and everyone at donzi.net for all of your generous help and advice. It scares me to think of what I would have ended up with without you guys.

Heres a few pics. More to come.

Bob

Ghost
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
What a shine, and a gorgeous blue--she looks great!

HOWARD O
03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow, congratulations on a gorgeous restoration. It all looks great. Now I wish I had ordered gray carpet instead of blue, it's a great contrast.

Please take lots of photos Friday!!! :yes:

BigGrizzly
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks beautiful and fast;);)

2donzi2
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
where did you get that scoop from or is that the original one that came on the hatch. I'm at the point of completion of my hatch, less the scoop and have been looking, but can't find one I like other than the one on your lid. Have the same boat, same year in orange and white. Thanks, Mike

bobwpe
03-04-2009, 05:24 PM
[quote=2donzi2;498814]where did you get that scoop from or is that the original one that came on the hatch.
This scoop came with the boat and is original as far as I know.
Thanks for the compliments.
Howard O, I think your boat is the same as my first donzi I had from 89-95. It was an '82 with a 330 Mercruiser TRS package, which I think is what you have. Great boat.

A few more.

gcarter
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Bob, I knew you could do it!
Congratulations on a great looking boat!:D

BUIZILLA
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
you wouldn't have any trouble winning a Best Original Restored at a Donzi event...

Conquistador_del_mar
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Bob,
It looks fabulous! Have you run the engine on a hose yet or are you going to wait for a shakedown test on Friday? Was it easy to use the original trim switch you got from me to operate the Bravo drive or did you have to make some modifications? Congratulations on the completion. Bill

2donzi2
03-05-2009, 06:43 AM
2D2, that scoop is available from Christian on the board here. Do a search, there was a scoop thread a while back where i posted a pic of an unpainted one..

Bob, holy batshiot man, thats freaking awesome.. Let me know when you have room, I'll drop the X off so you don't feel like you have nothing to do now ;) :).

Be careful getting it down that ramp man!!

Thanks for the info on the scoop. I'll check it out. Bob, funny that you posted your pictures yesterday because I have some of the earlier pictures you had posted printed out as the inspiration for the way my boat should look. It's absolutely beautiful.

bobwpe
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Bob,
It looks fabulous! Have you run the engine on a hose yet or are you going to wait for a shakedown test on Friday? Was it easy to use the original trim switch you got from me to operate the Bravo drive or did you have to make some modifications? Congratulations on the completion. Bill

Thanks. I have run it on the hose a few times for a total of about 1.5 hrs. The trim panel you sent me is undergoing meticulous restoration by onesubdrvr:thumbsup:. I bought a new switch and light for it but they are presently in a temorary panel I mocked up until I get the original back.

How it all began.....

HOWARD O
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
[quote=2donzi2;498814]where did you get that scoop from or is that the original one that came on the hatch.
This scoop came with the boat and is original as far as I know.
Thanks for the compliments.
Howard O, I think your boat is the same as my first donzi I had from 89-95. It was an '82 with a 330 Mercruiser TRS package, which I think is what you have. Great boat.

A few more.

That's the year......do you happen to have any photos? What color?

Good luck with your new 18, it's a beaut!

bobwpe
03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's a pic of the 22 after hurricane Andrew when a shed fell on it,:eek: next is a later pic after I had the deck repainted.

BUIZILLA
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
that looks like Kings Bay?

bobwpe
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
that looks like Kings Bay?
More like Cutler Bay, Perrine to be specific;).

BUIZILLA
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Perrine to be specific;).that's where I live now, and have for the last 32 years... 1 block off Old Cutler and 180st for the last 20..

bobwpe
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM
that's where I live now, and have for the last 32 years... 1 block off Old Cutler and 180st for the last 20..

Very nice area, city to the north, keys to the south:wink:

Well I finally got it out yesterday for couple of hours on the ICW. Lots of no wake zones punctuated by a few areas where the speed limit is 25 MPH but who's watching on a Friday?:cool!: The boat runs great and everthing works as it should except for the tach. It reads normal at idle but when I got it up to 50 on my analog GPS speedo it was only reading around 2700 but was probably running more like 3800 with my setup (1.65 gear, 25p prop.). There was still plenty left at that speed and she should top out in the low to mid 60's.

Unfortunately I found out my waterproof box that the camera was in is not waterproof :frown:. I will get some pics next time out, maybe tomorrow.

This boat is a blast to drive and I'm really looking forward to getting in a little seat time. Biscayne Bay here I come!

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Life is good and getting better.

bobwpe
03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I wonder why that boat had a 1:65 gearset? Must have been for the high altitude it got dropped from :eek:.

Life is good and getting better.
Yes it is and the prop you sent me works great even though I have nothing to compare it to. It was the icing on the cake, thanks for your help.

Got the boat out again on Wednesday for a run down south. Took the ICW south, out to the ocean through the washing machine known as Bakers Haulover :blub:, a bumpy ride down Miami Beach and through Bear Cut into beautiful, pristine Biscayne Bay. It was like waking up from a bad dream. The boat ran great and it was a wonderful day. The only problem I had was the temp. wouldn't go above 120 so I didn't run it too hard and took the long way home. Lots of no wake/manatee zones.:banghead:

Here are a few pics boat. A box of girl scout cookies goes to the first person to identify the locale of the third pic.:biggrin.:

Conquistador_del_mar
03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow, Bob. The boat looks great and it sounds like it is running just as well as it looks. Congratulations on the successful shakedown runs. At least it is not running too hot. Did you figure out the tach problem? Bill

BUIZILLA
03-13-2009, 06:26 PM
2nd pic looks like Coral Reef Yacht Club, (if it is I sank a boat at that same floating dock in 1968) third pic looks like Pelican Harbor Island just north of 79st causeway adjacent to the MDPD docks and Pelican Harbor Yacht Club.....

BigGrizzly
03-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I haven't a clue where you went but who cares the boat looks beautiful and your having fun. As for the compliment, You and your boat made my day. No go int and have fun you worked for it:worthy::worthy::worthy:

bobwpe
03-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, Bob. The boat looks great and it sounds like it is running just as well as it looks. Congratulations on the successful shakedown runs. At least it is not running too hot. Did you figure out the tach problem? Bill

Thanks, it does indeed run like it looks ;). The tach problem has to do with the range selector switch on the back but I need to get someone to watch it while I adjust it.

2nd pic looks like Coral Reef Yacht Club, (if it is I sank a boat at that same floating dock in 1968) third pic looks like Pelican Harbor Island just north of 79st causeway adjacent to the MDPD docks and Pelican Harbor Yacht Club.....

You are correct, sir about the second pic. As far as the third pic, here is a closer look. Things have changed just a bit.

Lenny
03-13-2009, 07:08 PM
188th and the new Condos. Magnum Marine in the warehouse :D

bobwpe
03-13-2009, 08:02 PM
DING DING DING we have a winner! One box of GS cookies on it's way to B.C.:lightning

onesubdrvr
03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I have run it on the hose a few times for a total of about 1.5 hrs. The trim panel you sent me is undergoing meticulous restoration by onesubdrvr:thumbsup:. I bought a new switch and light for it but they are presently in a temorary panel I mocked up until I get the original back.

How it all began.....

Bob,...

Boat looks absolutely beautiful,... almost can't believe that's the same boat you started with ;)

I'm in Freeport next week, but when I get back, I'll stop by the photoetchers and see where we're at (on the switch panel). It's been a while since I was by there, so it should be done :)

Again, absolutely beautiful, and I'll give you a buzz next week when I get back.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
03-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Bring me a case of Kalik gold please :) :)
You know something, it's funny,... 7 weeks over there last year and 3 thus far this year, and I've never had Kalik,.... Red Stripe, and just about every Rum concauction that you can think of ;) I've had, but not the Kalik,.... well, that's one to add to the trip this time :)

I'm only flying on a puddle hopper, but will see what I can do about bringing a case back :D

Wayne

bobwpe
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Bob,...

Boat looks absolutely beautiful,... almost can't believe that's the same boat you started with ;)

I'm in Freeport next week, but when I get back, I'll stop by the photoetchers and see where we're at (on the switch panel). It's been a while since I was by there, so it should be done :)

Again, absolutely beautiful, and I'll give you a buzz next week when I get back.

Wayne

Thanks to you and everyone else for the nice comments. Hope you find time to enjoy the Bahamas. :biggrin.:

Here's a few more pics from last weeks adventure.

Lenny
03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I love the boats with the narrow (7") stripe. I like them more than the 12" one :yes:

Too bad I don't have one (other than a cut up 16)

osur866
03-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Very, Very, nice 1st class job, you should be very proud of this one! :yes:

BigGrizzly
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
The more I look at it the nicer it looks, you did a great job.:worthy::worthy: