PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump replacement

cutwater
06-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm replacing my power steering pump today. Do I have to do anything special to drain or bleed the PS cooler? Any tips, or things I should look out for?

Also, what v-belt tension should I use for the Alt and PS pump once the Circ pump is removed?

gcarter
06-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm replacing my power steering pump today. Do I have to do anything special to drain or bleed the PS cooler? Any tips, or things I should look out for?

Also, what v-belt tension should I use for the Alt and PS pump once the Circ pump is removed?
I found you a bracket the other day on eBay. It was up in 15 minutes, so I couldn't contact you. It was the correct Merc bracket w/a power steering pump. Went for about $50.00.
As far as changing it out, be ready w/a whole bunch of paper towels 'cause it's a messy job. I don't think it's possible to keep from losing about half of the fluid. On re-filling the pump, it's self bleeding. Be ready w/additional fluid. As soon as the pump fills the system, it'll likely be low in the resorvoir.
I think tension should be like a car, +/- 1/2" movement.

cutwater
06-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I found you a bracket the other day on eBay. It was up in 15 minutes, so I couldn't contact you. It was the correct Merc bracket w/a power steering pump. Went for about $50.00.
As far as changing it out, be ready w/a whole bunch of paper towels 'cause it's a messy job. I don't think it's possible to keep from losing about half of the fluid. On re-filling the pump, it's self bleeding. Be ready w/additional fluid. As soon as the pump fills the system, it'll likely be low in the resorvoir.
I think tension should be like a car, +/- 1/2" movement.

Thanks for the tips George. I have been very fortunate finding brackets :wink:. I found a brand new bracket setup, also a complete (used) spare setup for pretty cheap. Now I'm off to try to get some of this done. I'm trying to do this crossover setup the right way, with a water pressure gauge and 15 psi pop off valve. I love working on boats, but I would give anything to be on the lake today...