PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting - Please Help

DonziDan16
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Just finished replacing a hydraulic trim hose and putting aluminum manifolds and risers on my 1990 sweet 16 yesterday. Went to start it up this morning but was unable to get it running.
When I turn the ignition key into the on position, the gas and volt gauges don't turn on like they normally do. Then when I trying to start the engine, it turns over but then there's a click. It's like the battery is dead except it's not. After a few tries I can usually get it to fire but as soon as it does, it dies.
I've cleaned plenty of wire connections, made sure it's getting gas, checked that all the spark plug connections are tight. The starter was just rebuilt last year but is that the culprit?

Thanks in advance

MOP
06-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Have you checked the battery grounds at the block and the harness plug connection? Having just worked in the tiny bilge you may have knocked something loose. I had a 16 for quite awhile it is some easy to unfix one thing while fixing another.

Phil

DonziDan16
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
I cleaned the connection to the block and the harness connection actually did come apart while i was doing that so i reconnected them. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the ignition switch.

RedDog
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
... I'm thinking it might have something to do with the ignition switch.

or the kill switch?

Planetwarmer
06-20-2008, 04:06 AM
will it stay running with starting fluid only? If so, then it is a fuel problem. If not, then it is electrical. Try the fluid to keep it running in order to rule out the fuel system. It will make your life a whole lot easier if you do.

If the motor turns over strong then it is something with the ignition. Put it in and out of gear to ensure that the neutral safety switch isn't stuck.

proceed from there

VetteLT193
06-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Sounds 100% electrical to me. Make sure the battery is charged then really check the battery connections back to the starter and to the dash / ignition.

Sometimes the connection to the battery/block/starter/ignition is tight, but the wire inside of the connector is a bit loose. Make sure there are zero gas fumes around, turn the ignition key on, then start fiddling with wires. I am betting by shaking a few of the wires around you will get power back... when you do you have found the bad wire. This is a bit of a brute force method, but it usually works. The other method is with a tester if you have one... turn the key on and see where the power stops.

DonziDan16
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Replaced the ignition switch today and it started right up. I'm glad it was just a cheap part but now I have another problem which I'll post in a new thread. Thanks for your suggestions guys.