PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my first boat.

sqImpalaLS
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I am a 22 year old young proffessional located in Buffalo, NY. I will be boating in Lake Erie, primarily. I would like to be able to bring my boat to the ocean occassionaly also. Currently I am considering many boats. I will split the boat with a coworker/friend of mine. We are looking to spend between $4000 and $10,000 (total).

I chose Donzi first because I feel like they are intended for younger or performance minded boaters. I have been boating for my whole life on my fathers boats, he currently has a 2004 Sea Ray Amberjack 290. The boat is too expensive for me to take out on my own (my dad is very nervous).

At any rate, the Donzi I am interested is for sale by a local seller. It is a 1989 Donzi Regazza. It can be viewed here:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/721934356.html

Any opinions will be appreciated. The boat will be used for cruising and fishing.

jg480
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Save your money! parternerships don't seam to do so well when boats are involed. I know first hand. A good friendship is not worth losing over a boat.
Jim

cherry82482
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A BOAT WITH A FRIEND!! Buying a boat with a friend will cause you to have one less friend in the end. When buying a boat yourself, you must think about the following: maintenance, gas, insurance, storage, safety equipment needed to pass coast guard inspection and body of water the boat will be most used in. I'm 25 years old and drive a 2001 16 classic donzi. All the up keep is hard enough on my pocket book. My buddy at work just purchased a used 24 FT BAJA OUTLAW and can't afford all the BS that go's with it. The kicker is, he still lives at home. I on the other hand own my own house, boat, and muscle car!! Good luck to you!!

chappy
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Nice looking boat. I'm not too familiar with the Ragazza, but I've read good things overall. If you want it, grab it. Sounds like you've got some experience with boats. As far as the co-owner, that's your business, not mine. Good luck and keep us posted.:beer:

Carpe Donzi
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
You're welcome to join me sometime, as I have an 18 Classic just waiting to hit Lake Erie and the Upper Niagara.

You supply the truck and hitch, I'll supply the noise. Located in Amherst.

MOP
06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Ah "The first Ship to Sink is a Partnership"! That being said you want to spend up to 10K, so give the guy a firm offer of 5K then you may own the whole boat for your half of the partner thing. The Ragazza is a decent all around boat, the one up by you looks to be a decent fresh water boat.

Phil

Planetwarmer
06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Remember, you have to be able to do ALOT of regular maintenance on a boat - especially an older boat. Unless you are rich and can afford someone to fix your boat on a regular basis. Also you may want some insurance and a place to store it. This is the stuff that my friend didn't think about when he bought a boat. He used it twice because he couldn't work on his self. He had it for 1 year and sold it last week.

Just my 2 cents
:garfield:

But that being said, get a classic, 16 or 18 classic. You can find them for under 10 and they are cooler than $hit!

Carl C
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't buy the Regazza. That's an old boat that will nickel and dime you to death. I hate to say it but in your price range and if you only want the performance of a Regazza I'd look for a newer SeaRay. Donzis are performance boats, not for beginners. The Regazza was an exception that was built for a few years but doesn't have the mystique of other Donzi models. JMO. No offense intended toward Regazza owners.

Donzi Vol
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Well from a 25 year old boater, I say do whatever the heck you want. Haha...no offense guys! Actually all of this advice about partnerships is very good and should be considered. However if you go about it the right way, and don't have high expectations of what you're getting into, a partnership can be great. I went in on a boat in college with 4 guys (tight squeeze!) and we had a blast. It's now sitting in the last official owner's driveway (possibly causing a divorce). Now I'm in a partnership with my uncle on what will be a beautiful boat, but our trick is to just take it a step at a time and a dollar at a time.

Now for the boat, buy a 16 or 18 classic. They're soooooo much fun and you quickly become part of something that is 42 years old!

RedDog
06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
When your ownership partner takes it out one weekend without you and the motor or drive craps out - and there is a good chance it may on an older (or even a newer) boat - are you willing to pay half of the 2K to 10k repair bill? Is your partner willing?

I'd suggest one buy it it and figure some operating cost sharing arrangement. You buy it, you take him out on it and let him buy the gas (and maybe beer), and you are responsible for maintenance and repairs.

I chose Donzi first because I feel like they are intended for younger or performance minded boaters. - PS: I wouldn't consider a Regazza a performance boat. It is more of a Sea Ray run-about or such with a Donzi sticker (there have been some highly modified exceptions out there)

cutwater
06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Another 25 year old boater here. My advice... As a young professional, you can prob afford the payments on a $9k boat yourself if you are smart with your finances. It will be more straightforward to skip the partnership if you can. When I graduated, instead of buying a brand new car, I kept my car which is paid off (I love my car, btw, but it is 12 years old), and bought the cheapest Donzi I could find that I actually liked. I figure anyone can buy a Mazda or a Honda, but you've got to have some class to buy a Donzi :wink:.

If you are patient, you can find a good deal on a modestly priced boat. To answer your question, some beautiful, turn-key 16 Classics can be had for $8k to $9k. That's what I'd get if I were you. At that point, they've pretty much bottomed out in price. If you realize you can't afford it, you could sell it pretty easily in a pinch for just about what you've got in it.

If you pay a mechanic for labor a boat can sink you... I've done all of my own work so far but it has been a learning experience.

cutwater
06-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Also, the boat you are looking at only has a 6 cyl engine and it is a 22 ft boat. It's probably way underpowered. I got my 20' Minx for that exact same price, and it has a v8. I see Donzis for sale in NY all the time. Be patient and keep your eyes open. There are some good deals out there.

Planetwarmer
06-20-2008, 03:59 AM
I just got back from the bar and read my previous statement. I totally agree with my earlier self !!!:propeller::happy_bi::pizza:

VetteLT193
06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Another 25 year old boater here. My advice... As a young professional, you can prob afford the payments on a $9k boat yourself if you are smart with your finances. It will be more straightforward to skip the partnership if you can. When I graduated, instead of buying a brand new car, I kept my car which is paid off (I love my car, btw, but it is 12 years old), and bought the cheapest Donzi I could find that I actually liked. I figure anyone can buy a Mazda or a Honda, but you've got to have some class to buy a Donzi :wink:.

If you are patient, you can find a good deal on a modestly priced boat. To answer your question, some beautiful, turn-key 16 Classics can be had for $8k to $9k. That's what I'd get if I were you. At that point, they've pretty much bottomed out in price. If you realize you can't afford it, you could sell it pretty easily in a pinch for just about what you've got in it.

If you pay a mechanic for labor a boat can sink you... I've done all of my own work so far but it has been a learning experience.

I agree and am literally in the same 'boat' as cutwater. I have boated my whole life, including all the maintenance, on boats from 14-45 feet. That gave me the confidence to buy the older Minx and fix it up. If I didn't have the experience I'd look at a 16 turn key. I also skipped the new car buying etc. in order to have this hobby.

Also, the boat you are looking at only has a 6 cyl engine and it is a 22 ft boat. It's probably way underpowered. I got my 20' Minx for that exact same price, and it has a v8. I see Donzis for sale in NY all the time. Be patient and keep your eyes open. There are some good deals out there.

I agree here too. Look for a 350 Chevy.

One final note is any 90's and older boat that is $5-$10k will cost you double that by the time everything is said and done. There is a reason why some Minx's sell for $6500 and some sell for upwards of $18,000. Same goes for all the other models of boats out there.

smbarcelow
06-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Keep checking the classifieds section of this site. The members here frequently find good (and bad) deals on Donzis on eBay, Craig's List, etc. and link them here. Not only can you find your way to the sites where those boats are for sale but you can also benefit from the discussion about them on the forum. The experienced Donzi enthusiasts here were very helpful when I was in the market for mine.

Carl C
06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey you guys saying to buy a 16 or 18 foot boat, Impala said he will be boating on Lake Erie and the ocean:wink:. The partnership can work if there is a written contract to split all repair and maintenance costs regardless of who had the boat when it broke, assuming that you both have the means to afford those costs. A newer boat will be less likely to break down. An old boat will need something fixed every time you use it, although usually minor things. You may need to spend more money. You can get very good terms on a loan for a late model boat. Good luck.

VetteLT193
06-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey you guys saying to buy a 16 or 18 foot boat, Impala said he will be boating on Lake Erie and the ocean:wink:. The partnership can work if there is a written contract to split all repair and maintenance costs regardless of who had the boat when it broke, assuming that you both have the means to afford those costs. A newer boat will be less likely to break down. An old boat will need something fixed every time you use it, although usually minor things. You may need to spend more money. You can get very good terms on a loan for a late model boat. Good luck.

I used a 14 foot Sea Doo Speedster to go island hopping in the Bahamas. I also had fun deep sea fishing, bottom fishing, etc. If you use your head you can go out in a 16 classic and be very safe.

Carl C
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I used a 14 foot Sea Doo Speedster to go island hopping in the Bahamas. I also had fun deep sea fishing, bottom fishing, etc. If you use your head you can go out in a 16 classic and be very safe. Yeah I hear about you guys taking little Boston Whalers and stuff on the ocean and I don't know how you do it! I have to be careful taking my 22 on the Great Lakes.

VetteLT193
06-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah I hear about you guys taking little Boston Whalers and stuff on the ocean and I don't know how you do it! I have to be careful taking my 22 on the Great Lakes.

Safety first. It's the only boat I had that I regularly wore my life jacket. Had GPS, VHF, tow rope, full tank of gas, tool kit, extra parts, etc. aboard. The boat was 'unsinkable' and self bailing which also helps.

The main thing is to watch the weather. There were many times we cut our trip short because things were stirring up. Many more times where things we planned on going then never did. If there is any question about the day you turn around and go back to the dock.

I did get stuck in some nasty stuff on more than one occasion. The hull was the cleanest and shiniest sea doo speedster that you could find because I took excellent care of it and it spent most of its time in the garage... but it had a million stress cracks and Sea Doo even had to do some repairs to the inside of the hull because of the seas it went through. At one point I thought they might buy it back for test purposes because they had one of the test managers (from the Sebastian FL area) come to the shop (Melbourne FL, not far) to see the hull. :eek!:

I think that little Sea Doo was the best boat I ever owned

Planetwarmer
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
If you run fast enough, you can handle the 12 foot swells!:alligator:shocking: :crossfing:

sqImpalaLS
06-22-2008, 09:37 AM
What a great response! Thanks for everyones input, I looked into a nice classic 18. I think this might be a little small for our intentions, but the girlfriends say they like it better. We are looking for a more all around boat. As for the partnership, we are both young and intelligent. I don't think we'll let the boat partnership ruin our friendship, we both want a boat and would use it together nearly every time. And splitting repair bills is nice : ) I realize I will not be completely happy if I have to pay for repairs that happened on his watch, but he will have to do the same with me.

Regarding maintaining an older boat, what are the problem areas? How can I update the boat (seals, filters, belts, etc.) before I get in the water? Our number one choice has changed, now we are leaning towards this:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-CRUISERS-2530-Barnegat-92331069

Any opinions on the Cruisers? I can't find much info about this model online.

All the marinas we have been to really want to sell us something we'll be happy with so we come back again and again. We've been offered a low hour 2001 Boston Whaler Dauntless 180 for $12k, 1981 ChrisCraft 21' Scorpion for $4k. We have figured insurance, repairs, docking, winter storage into the mix which is why we want to stay under $10k. The way we look at it we can afford a complete re power of the Cruisers if it needs it soon.

sqImpalaLS
06-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for everyones input. An 18 or 16 is too small for what we intend to do with the boat. We are now leaning towards a Cruisers 2540 Barnegat, it is being sold locally by a boat dealer. Here is a link to it, any more info regarding the boat would be great. I am having difficulty learning about the boat:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-CRUISERS-2530-Barnegat-92331069
It seems to be a deal. they warranty the first 30 days on power train, so I should drive it hard to find any problems at first, right?

da donz
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
maybe this might be what your looking for!
Only $7000, Just like the one you were looking at.
might get it cheaper and have it all to yourself.
just another option.
Sometimes it feels good to be selfish!!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/727533541.html

and another! only $6200!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/698058196.html

Lenny
06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Buy a 16 or 18, that is turn key. Buy it yourself. :yes:

Stay away from a partnership. These "things" (boats) are as bad or worse than nice cars. It WILL cost you money, regardless.

The "Cool" factor and the Legend and all the stigma that goes with these models pertains to the 16-18-22 and newer high perf boats.

That is not one of those.

That is a family "outing" boat with a nice heritage deeeee-cal on it ...

Formula Jr
06-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm not going to say that you should avoid this model of the Ragazza line. Hell, for the boating I usually do, this is a great way to have the cuddy cabin - over night ability- and stay in the Donzi Family.

However, I'd put a 350 Mag in it, at the very least, just to make it interesting.

And.... as everyone here has pointed out, since most of us have been there, done that;
NEVER buy a boat in a partnership. There is just no good out-come to that regardless of if you and your buddy are best of friends right now......

The Theory is Seductive - Cost Wise: The Practice; damn near never works out to anyone's satisfaction. And any liens placed on the boat are not placed on just one partner's share. They are placed on the boat.

Buy what you can own "out-right" and don't look back or listen to the stories of how it worked for this or that person.

While looking, stay away from any boat made in the 1984-1989 era. This was a period when almost all the boat makers couldn't keep up with demand and knocked out boats as fast as they could.

I'm sure I will be contradicted,.... this is just general advice.....

Your first boat isn't going to be a boat that you should particularly care about any way. Cause you are going to make a great deal of mistakes on the learning curve.

And before we put any more effort into your original question, I think we need to know if your are still considering a partnership. ....... Cause BayLiners are pretty inexpensive..... all around...and very easy to walk away from.

:crossfing:

Lenny
06-24-2008, 09:16 PM
While looking, stay away from any boat made in the 1984-1989 era. This was a period when almost all the boat makers couldn't keep up with demand and knocked out boats as fast as they could.

... :( :( :( ... so my,... (sniff) '87 18LE is junk :confused: ... :( :( :(

:D :D :D

Formula Jr
06-25-2008, 12:25 AM
No Lenny, your 87 Limited Edition is just fine, I am sure. We'll find out, one way or another.

:angel:

VetteLT193
06-25-2008, 07:17 AM
There is a HUGE difference in quality in the 80's Donzi's Vs. most of the other 80's boats out there.

The 81 Chris Craft is a piece of crap, I know from experience.
That cruisers is going to be a headache. (big time)

The one cool thing about 16/18/22 or 20 Minx Donzi's is there is hardly any upholstery and almost all of it is removable for storage. Hardly any wood (less rot), built well, and hold value well.

I would NOT suggest a 25 footer as your first boat, regardless of what you want to do with it... learn on a smaller boat, stay closer inland, and upgrade later.

Any boat you look at: open the engine hatch, most of them back then were made out of wood and covered with Vinyl. That is a recipe for disaster. Most of the other interior pieces were also wood. All junk that will have to be replaced if it hasn't been already.

And once again, the partnership is a BAD idea no matter how much you think it will be ok. Boats are not like cars... maintenance is more frequent, driver error is more frequent (accidentally miss a marker, run aground and you are out a $1000 if it was light damage). Also, everyone thinks driving a boat is easy. For some it is, for many I've seen it is scary as hell to even watch them drive. your partner could suck at boating, what the heck do you do then? I've boated with guys that are the nicest people you'll meet and are total disasters behind the wheel of a boat.

Tim Morris
06-25-2008, 07:47 AM
There is a reason why some Minx's sell for $6500 and some sell for upwards of $18,000.

Like Warren Buffet, I bought quality early...and now, I'm holding for the long term.