PDA

View Full Version : Barry Grant fuel lines

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I bought a Barry Grant Marine Demon carb to put on the Minx.

The manual is semi-cryptic and non specific. If I am reading it correctly it says the carb will fit 6 AN and 8 AN fuel line. Here is the what the manual says:

Demon Inlet Fittings
Demon fuel bowls feature 9/16" x 24tpi threaded
fuel inlets that accept the following fittings:

FITTING TYPE MANUFACTURER PART NUMBER
#8 FEMALE SWIVEL BG FUEL SYSTEMS 140024
#6 FEMALE SWIVEL BG FUEL SYSTEMS 140026
#8 STANDARD BG FUEL SYSTEMS 142111
#6 STANDARD BG FUEL SYSTEMS 142113

GOODRIDGE 5150
XRP 700006
RUSSELL 4020
AEROQUIP FCM2113
EARL’S 991942
#8 FILTERED BG FUEL SYSTEMS 140033
#6 FILTERED BG FUEL SYSTEMS 140031

With that info, why would I get the smaller line? The prices seem exactly the same. I know I don't have the engine to flow the bigger line, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt anything either. Any reasons to NOT get the 8 AN?

Also, I assume the bowl fittings are always the same and the fittings after the bowl are different? That is the only way I can figure that 8AN and 6AN are interchangeable

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
On a related note I want to upgrade my fuel pump. I know GCarter used a Holley Blue pump but is it worth the extra $40 over the red pump? The blue pump is pre-set to 14 psi but Barry Grant makes it clear that 14 is way to high. The red seems perfect unless there is another reason to get the blue?

BigGrizzly
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
The 14 psi is way too high psi is all that is needed. 14psi can blow passed the needle seat. A regulator is needed for any higher pressure pump. Remember George is not a novice and sometimes assumes that you are not either. 9/16 is AN10. 7/16 is AN8. BG makes things for big motors too. It is up to you to match for your application. You don't and won't have enough power for AN8 lines. I have AN10 on mine, but that is over kill and I have 690+ ponies on tap. Remember never use a Semi if everything will fit in a mini van.

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
The 14 psi is way too high psi is all that is needed. 14psi can blow passed the needle seat. A regulator is needed for any higher pressure pump. Remember George is not a novice and sometimes assumes that you are not either. 9/16 is AN10. 7/16 is AN8. BG makes things for big motors too. It is up to you to match for your application. You don't and won't have enough power for AN8 lines. I have AN10 on mine, but that is over kill and I have 690+ ponies on tap. Remember never use a Semi if everything will fit in a mini van.

I understand that 14 psi is too much. What I'm asking is if the Blue pump is generally designed for higher PSI applications or if there is some other benefit to the Blue pump over the red pump. George's boat was set up similar to mine which is why I made the reference. The red pump has plenty of flow and all the specs look fine to me so is there any reason to go with a Blue pump (obviously with the psi dropped) over a Red pump?

As far as the lines go I figured out the fitting issue but am down to AN 6 Vs. AN 8. Is there any downside to putting the larger line on? I know the AN 8 is overkill for my application, but the price is exactly the same, so I figure I may as well go for the AN 8 for the beefier look... I can't think of any downside of bigger line, does anyone know of any downside?

gcarter
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
The reason I used the Blue rather than the Red is at almost the same price, the Blue can deliver over 100 GPH as opposed to about 80 GPH. I used the Holley regulator plumbed directly to the pump. I'll see if I can find a picture. Both were mounted to the stbd stringer via a Starboard bracket I made.
I'm sure you know to order the marine version w/the case drain.

DonziJon
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Check this out. It appears 6AN hose and fittings are "normally" recommended unless you have a really high flow requirement.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3270

gcarter
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Here's a picture BEFORE I made the bracket. I decided I didn't like the pump mounted directly to the stringer. The bracket raised the pump about 6".
Note the drain going to the carb. Also the Molex connector the pump. I guess I don't remember there being $40.00 difference at Summit or Jeggs.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10370&d=1112068118

MOP
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey there Mr. GC where is your lock nut on that engine mount?

gcarter
06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey there Mr. GC where is your lock nut on that engine mount?
This was a VERY early picture.......:wink:

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Is there a technical reason to mount it down there? My current pump is mounted to the back side of the rear bench, I intended on leaving it in that location

gcarter
06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Is there a technical reason to mount it down there? My current pump is mounted to the back side of the rear bench, I intended on leaving it in that location
It was just easier to mount there w/shorter runs. Remember, I did all this work w/the deck off....there wouldn't have been any back seat.
I also attempted to keep, as much as possible, everything seperated. With almost everything in the boat running through the hull and not the deck. In fact the only things running through the loops under the stbd side of the deck was the hydraulic steering lines and the throttle and shift cables.

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM
It was just easier to mount there w/shorter runs. Remember, I did all this work w/the deck off....there wouldn't have been any back seat.
I also attempted to keep, as much as possible, everything seperated. With almost everything in the boat runni ng through the hull and not the deck. In fact the only things running through the loops under the stbd side of the deck was the hydraulic steering lines and the throttle and shift cables.

That makes sense. Thanks for your help, and thanks to everyone else too:)

I'm not sure if I'll get the carb etc. installed before it goes into paint but I'll post pics if I do.