PDA

View Full Version : Ran it today

Last Real Texan
06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Well finally had a chance to run the boat this afternoon, have a few bugs to work out but other than that it all seems well. Motor ran cool with plenty of h20 pressure and good flow to the intercooler. The diacom software will give you way more info than you will ever need to use that is for sure. I did like being able to see the intake charge temperature as well as the real time data for the H2o temp. Intake never got over 135 degrees @ 6.5 lbs of boost. And the H20 temp never got over 140, all in all nice. The program Mark sent to me was a tad fat by about 1 point across the board and I am going to send it back to him with some recordings and graphs interpolated with the AFR readings to get it dialed in perfectly. I did get a little bit of knock retard in the top end for some reason. I first thought what the hell but it seems Mark thinks it is coming from the plugs wires and some RF interference with the knock sensor….time will tell and I am going to install some new plug wires and change the routing back there to try and eliminate this problem, on one pass the computer pulled out 3 degrees of timing out but it did not set a code. I think he has this thing tuned a little bit on the cautious side in the timing deal anyway. And @ 5300 the AFR was 11.7-1 so I know it is not from detonation. Plugs looked good but maybe a little on the hot side for the boost I am running on the upper end. I also expected the boost to come in a little bit sooner spinning a smaller wheel on the charger but it is not coming in until 4200 RPMs. I am going to monkey with it tomorrow in the afternoon and play a bit with the fuel pressure to get it as close as possible than send it back to him and let him fine tune it. It is Idling @ 11.7-1 as well and under cruise it is @ 11.5-12.0-1 all the way to 4000…..
Now for some more good stuff….The IMCO extreme SC I figured was going to shift a little bit harsher but it was as smooth as silk, I did when I installed it have to adjust the shift linkage a bit and it seems I nailed on the head. Boat accelerates even better now than it did before, no boat rides in 6 months = lost sensation of speed, so time will really tell about this.
It does however get to 85 MPH smartly and further I am sure but I was alone and no GPS so I did not want to push it. Before the mods when the GAffrig Speedo bounced off of 90 indicated the GPS speed was 85 , it now is bouncing off of 95-96 indicated so I think I ran somewhere between 85-88 MPH today with a little power left on the table without trimming it too hard and holding it open for any length of time. I will get some solid info tomorrow time permitting and if I can find someone to hold the LAP top and The AFR meter and record all that’s going on. Thanks for looking and I hope to get this finished up for the 4th of July ……
Tex

The Hedgehog
06-17-2008, 08:53 PM
You are a pioneer. That boat smokes Scorps for breakfast! I would guess that you are hitting a fat 750hp+!!!!

Back off a fraction on the pulses and you will knock on 90. That is crazy for a 27ZX! I needed that type of motivation. That and maybe some 30" planes!

I thought that your boat was rock solid at 82. Turn it up!

Who know what will happen to me! It will be a fun summer.

BlownCrewCab
06-17-2008, 09:06 PM
That 11.7 afr is fine for 6.5 psi, I don't like the 11.7 at Idle though, Isn't there some way to command a 14.7 w/no boost (or under vacuum).. What was the total timing before it pulled the 3 degrees? running 140* your certainly not getting detonation from heat providing that the temp sensor is in the Head and NOT the intake manifold (Heads are a Lil Hotter). Do you have a MAP sensor that your reading from? Can you edit with the software your Logging with??? (theres nothing like a live tune) I know you can send him a graph, but doing it while it's Live is a bit better cause you add a lil here and there and see how it does..(I'll stop now)

BigGrizzly
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
This sounds great. You finally have a boat again!

The Hedgehog
06-17-2008, 09:18 PM
This sounds great. You finally have a boat again!

I like your comments Randy. Straight up from a guy that has been there.

Now I need to get mine together.

Last Real Texan
06-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the ecouragemant guys...I need it for sure and yes grizz it sure is nice to have a boat back!

Blown CC the timing is set at an initial 8 degrees and it was reading on the software @ 27.9 deegrees and I am supposed to add the total it pulled out to the total it is reading to get an overall total advance....should be 31 if my math is right. If I can not get the AFR's right I can see a ride to New Orleans for some in the boat tuning, Mark said bring it on we will be done in an hour and then go drink some beer on Bourbon street.

I have my initial fuel pressure @ 34 LBs because I have 55 lb injectors in there, but up on top it is running around 55 PSI....too much I hink it needs to be 50 but the way I had it set up today I didnt have a chance to change the setting on the Begi piggy back regulator the way I wanted ( did'nt have a freeeeekin allen wrench the right size) I can pull a little out and get it closer and in the cruise pressure I can reset the transition boost fuel a bit for passing through from vaccum to boost in a diferent location and get the fuel pressure more constant in the cruise RPM's up to 4000 Revs and then have it come in all at once there, make sense?

Bill you are going to have a freeeeekin rocket ship on your hands when that 26 ZX with the 850 SCi under the hatch hit the water....and yes you are going to have some tab input and some big brass nuts to run it wfo...Can't wait to see it what happens, no get off the computer and finish it up!

smokediver
06-18-2008, 07:21 AM
have you tried a 5 blade prop on that set up ? reason I ask is that there is a local guy running a 547 blower motor in a 27 zx . the 4 blade bravo blows out bigtime on his set up. running an xr upper and a 2 inch imco shorty ... i think it is the first year of the stepped hull ...

BigGrizzly
06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Tex, I was refraining from the sales pitch, but if you need help, you have my number. My son did the drive down to Mark and it was worth the trip.

The Hedgehog
06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
have you tried a 5 blade prop on that set up ? reason I ask is that there is a local guy running a 547 blower motor in a 27 zx . the 4 blade bravo blows out bigtime on his set up. running an xr upper and a 2 inch imco shorty ... i think it is the first year of the stepped hull ...

Ok, Tex is not playing now. The Dutch Girl must have him busy.

Yes, the 27 was the first stepped hull. I had one of the last non-steps and Brian has one of the first steps. Brian has yet to go 5 blade. So far his slip numbers have not warranted it. He is running a shorty. I have driven the boat. It feels good and rolls up on the plane fine.

Now I would love to know what kind of numbers the guy in the 547 blower motor is seeing.

Last Real Texan
06-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, Tex is not playing now. The Dutch Girl must have him busy.
Yes, the 27 was the first stepped hull. I had one of the last non-steps and Brian has one of the first steps. Brian has yet to go 5 blade. So far his slip numbers have not warranted it. He is running a shorty. I have driven the boat. It feels good and rolls up on the plane fine.
Now I would love to know what kind of numbers the guy in the 547 blower motor is seeing.
I too would like too get some solid info on his set up as well perfomance and the like...seems I remember this topic awhile back and then we never heard about the outcome , any new info....

On a side note I may be making a trip down to Kener La. next week if I have to.

The Hedgehog
06-19-2008, 06:30 AM
I too would like too get some solid info on his set up as well perfomance and the like...seems I remember this topic awhile back and then we never heard about the outcome , any new info....
On a side note I may be making a trip down to Kener La. next week if I have to.

I think that side trip would be worth it to get is all dialed in at once.

BigGrizzly
06-19-2008, 09:43 AM
With all the stuff you did I it is cheap insurance. Besides you need to get out of the house.

The Hedgehog
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
With all the stuff you did I it is cheap insurance. Besides you need to get out of the house.

A road trip would be good for Tex. He needs a guys trip