PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Moore's marine BBC book.....

gcarter
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I found and bought one on eBay!!!!
Thank God for eBay!.
The best price I found on Amazon was about $150.00. This one is an Ex library and in real good condition. Can't wait to read it. My engine is coming up as soon as I get the gel figured out.
What's really amazing is the original price was only $17.00.

RedDog
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I found and bought one on eBay!!!!
Thank God for eBay!.
The best price I found on Amazon was about $150.00. This one is an Ex library and in real good condition. Can't wait to read it. My engine is coming up as soon as I get the gel figured out.
What's really amazing is the original price was only $17.00.

Wow - maybe I should sell mine!

Forrest
06-17-2008, 02:12 PM
$150!!! :eek!: Maybe I should sell mine as well. I wouldn't pay more than about $10 for one.

gcarter
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
$150!!! :eek!: Maybe I should sell mine as well. I wouldn't pay more than about $10 for one.
Forrest, even though I paid less than $100 for mine, your still making me feel foolish!:doh:

BigGrizzly
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
What I think is funny, is 1) who is he? No one in the real HP area knows him. I did read the book once and found it plane jane. Maybe I just expected more. The book reminds me of Engine building for dummies.

Greg Maier
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I can't agree more with Big Grizzly. I have done a tremendous amount of engine building research over the last year during the process of building an engine. I have Dennis Moore's book along with many other engine books. There is nothing special about Dennis Moor's book, period. Honestly, you can acquire more engine building information by browsing the postings on OSO than you can by reading Dennis Moore's book. There are some sections that I feel are even flat wrong. For example, Dennis Moore's book says that .001 inch of oil clearance on the mains of a BBC crank is within spec. From everything else I have read, a journal bearing should have around .001 inch of clearance per inch of main journal diameter which would give you around .0027 inches of oil clearance. The book has info on marine exhausts and other marine specific topics, but as a pure engine building book it is weak and definitely not worth $100 + dollars. By the way, I have a copy for sale if anybody is interested !

MOP
06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
I refrained from jumping in earlier but was thinking you can get a ton more info off the net for free. I read Moore's book a buddy had SB book and decided not to bother buying a copy for me.