PDA

View Full Version : Free stuff to replace pay stuff!

MOP
06-14-2008, 08:44 AM
This keep even the Geeks busy for awhile!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Formula Jr
06-14-2008, 11:30 AM
There is a new trend in Soft Development that is very exciting.
Full Fledged business class programs are now being developed under the
Linux GUL. And as such, it has to be free. Everyone in IT just got so sick of
of all the overhead it took to enforce MS's and other Corp's little licensing rules that they are
testing and switching over to these free and stable programs that have been ported
to run under Windows. Will not be long before the entire OS is replaced.

VetteLT193
06-18-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm a web developer so we see a lot of this on the front end. It is hard to change the old school thinking but I'm starting to succeed at work too (state of FL). I just saved the state $20,000 on a single software package because I found a free (open source) alternative and presented a new business plan.

At the house I use openoffice: http://www.openoffice.org/ it is perfect for home use, replaces MS office but it is free.

I also use Gimp instead of Photoshop and Avast! antivirus.

onesubdrvr
07-06-2008, 07:07 AM
I started "programming" over 20 years ago (in Highschool), and in those days, you either wrote what you wanted yourself, or paid your 1st born and a limb for something off the shelf that wouldn't do everything you wanted it to.

I am really liking this trend with open source sofware - even though I'm in school now to be a software engineer, and hoping to move into the programming field, I think the open source software is a good thing. If one becomes proficient enough, they can tailor this software to their needs. Thus, the bulk of the program is written, but you have to have some experience to go in and rework parts of the code to fit specific applications.

One of the bigger calls in the programming world is system maintenance. Needs change and evolve, and being able to tweak an existing software package to meet these new demands is very important.

Anyway, thanks for the link (as allways) Phil,... see 'ya soon!
Wayne

Formula Jr
07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been using PC Linux 2007 exclusively for about six months now. Weened myself off the MS world, even though it is required at work to use MS products. I can still export.
My feeling is that if you use it, you send them a check. So I have. If more people understood how the GUL really worked and that there was more compensation for their work through forge sites, NO ONE would be using the known propitiatory standards any more. They are already good in ODF with almost no money. Imagine what they would be like with some money; and some more programmers making some real money.
The MS Model is dead.