PDA

View Full Version : Lifting eye dinemsions needed - HELP

The Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I am having some lifting eye brackets made for the X-18.

Does anyone have the dimensions or a rough sketch?

The front is the same as a classic 18. The back will probably need to be modified since I am running a bravo but I will take anything as a starting point.

penbroke
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
This thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36941&highlight=eye+bracket) has some info for the one in my boat. If you need more...

Frank :alligator

The Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 08:19 PM
This thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36941&highlight=eye+bracket) has some info for the one in my boat. If you need more...
Frank :alligator

That will help a good bit. Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I am having some lifting eye brackets made for the X-18.

Does anyone have the dimensions or a rough sketch?

The front is the same as a classic 18. The back will probably need to be modified since I am running a bravo but I will take anything as a starting point.

Are the original ones in your boat not there to copy? Amazingly, I was just trying to break loose the nuts on the front eye on my newly acquired 1971 18' 2+3 about an hour ago after crawling under the bow deck, but they are not coming easy. I broke the back rod trying to get the nuts loose, but I can hopefully salvage the lifting eye that screws on the rod. If you need patterns, let me know. The front bracket is very simple compared to the back bracket. Bill

The Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Are the original ones in your boat not there to copy? Amazingly, I was just trying to break loose the nuts on the front eye on my newly acquired 1971 18' 2+3 about an hour ago after crawling under the bow deck, but they are not coming easy. I broke the back rod trying to get the nuts loose, but I can hopefully salvage the lifting eye that screws on the rod. If you need patterns, let me know. The front bracket is very simple compared to the back bracket. Bill

That would be very helpful!

No, my originals are gone. I had the front but the fiberglass shop lost it.

penbroke
06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I didn't realize you had nothing to work from. My '66 18 is literally 30' away. I can measure/photograph anything that would help. I'll be here most of tomorrow.

The bow bracket is just a short piece of pipe welded across a piece of bar stock with two bolt holes.

Frank

Conquistador_del_mar
06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
I didn't realize you had nothing to work from. My '66 18 is literally 30' away. I can measure/photograph anything that would help. I'll be here most of tomorrow.

The bow bracket is just a short piece of pipe welded across a piece of bar stock with two bolt holes.

Frank

I have exactly the same type bow bracket. Bill

The Hedgehog
06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Frank

It would be very helpful if you could take a pic and give me some basic measurements.

penbroke
06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Here ya go. The plate is 2" x 3" x either 3/16" or 1/4" thick. The pipe welded to it is a sloppy fit on the 5/8" threaded rod. It is 2.5" long and centered in all directions so it hangs over the plate. The bolts are 3/8" diameter.

Frank

Conquistador_del_mar
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Here ya go. The plate is 2" x 3" x either 3/16" or 1/4" thick. The pipe welded to it looks like 3/4" schedule 40 pipe to me. It is a sloppy fit on the 3/4" threaded rod. It is 2.5" long and centered in all directions so it hangs over the plate. The bolts are 3/8" diameter.

Frank

I want to say the threaded rod is 1/2" or 5/8", but I can check today when I get out to my shop. By the way, does anyone know if the same threaded eyes above deck are still available? Bill

penbroke
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I want to say the threaded rod is 1/2" or 5/8", but I can check today when I get out to my shop. By the way, does anyone know if the same threaded eyes above deck are still available? Bill

You are correct sir. It is indeed 5/8" rod. Corrected above...

Frank
My bad...

The Hedgehog
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys. That is a big help.

I had a line some older re-chromed eyes. I did not buy them because I was missing the mounting brackets.

I lost that contact. They might be floating around somewhere.

I will probably have mine re-chromed.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. That is a big help.

I had a line some older re-chromed eyes. I did not buy them because I was missing the mounting brackets.

I lost that contact. They might be floating around somewhere.

I will probably have mine re-chromed.

Mine are needing some work to make them perfect before rechroming. I just though it would be easier and possibly cheaper to just buy new ones if they are still available. If you are still needing the specs on the stern lifting eye brackets, let me know. I sort of figured you might have to custom design yours since you are going with a different drive setup that will probably necessitate different brackets. Thanks, Bill

The Hedgehog
06-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Mine are needing some work to make them perfect before rechroming. I just though it would be easier and possibly cheaper to just buy new ones if they are still available. If you are still needing the specs on the stern lifting eye brackets, let me know. I sort of figured you might have to custom design yours since you are going with a different drive setup that will probably necessitate different brackets. Thanks, Bill

I may need some help for a starting point. I am going to try to do a mock up this weekend. I was going to do something similar to what penbroke was showing and bolt it through the transom. I never plan to use them to lift the boat.

FYI, there are a number of new lifting eyes that can be found like the version that goes on the newer classics. I think that they are a good bit cheaper than the rechroming process.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-14-2008, 01:06 AM
I may need some help for a starting point. I am going to try to do a mock up this weekend. I was going to do something similar to what penbroke was showing and bolt it through the transom. I never plan to use them to lift the boat.

FYI, there are a number of new lifting eyes that can be found like the version that goes on the newer classics. I think that they are a good bit cheaper than the rechroming process.

I can take a picture of my stern lifting bracket on Saturday if you need it - let me know. My girlfriend just helped me break loose the bow lifting eye tonight - she turned it with an old brass prop shaft while I held the lock down nut under the bow deck. I am now ready for action. I just ordered two of these lifting eyes - they also are threaded for a 5/8" shaft. Bill
http://www.jmsonline.net/LIFTING-EYE-W-O-CLEAT-SS.htm

The Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 06:12 AM
I can take a picture of my stern lifting bracket on Saturday if you need it - let me know. My girlfriend just helped me break loose the bow lifting eye tonight - she turned it with an old brass prop shaft while I held the lock down nut under the bow deck. I am now ready for action. I just ordered two of these lifting eyes - they also are threaded for a 5/8" shaft. Bill
http://www.jmsonline.net/LIFTING-EYE-W-O-CLEAT-SS.htm

You can't go wrong with that. I may pick up a set of those for the time being

A picture would help. I need all the ideas I can get.

Madcow
06-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Heres the one of my boat. The verticals are 2"X2" 1/4" angle 6" long. The horizontal is 3"X3" 1/4" angle 16" long welded inside the legs. The strut the lifting eye goes to is 2"X1/2" flat stock 5" long with a 15 degree break in it. You know where to drill the transom holes, and I would wait to drill the lift hole till its on the boat. If I was having one made I would do it in stainless. Probably cots twice as much, but we are talking a simle peice here. I know my guy here in Toledo would probably make one of these for $100.00 or less.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
You can't go wrong with that. I may pick up a set of those for the time being

A picture would help. I need all the ideas I can get.

Here you go. I took these shots this afternoon. You will notice that the brackets are bolted to the outdrive transom assembly bolts so no extra bolts or holes were necessary. Bill

Bob
06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
If anyone needs a pair of original 5/8 lifting rings with a separate trim ring, pm me. I bought a pair on ebay and rechromed them before I realized that my Hornet required 7/8 threaded rod.

The Hedgehog
06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
If anyone needs a pair of original 5/8 lifting rings with a separate trim ring, pm me. I bought a pair on ebay and rechromed them before I realized that my Hornet required 7/8 threaded rod.

I think that we talked before, you have a pm

The Hedgehog
07-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks a bunch Ky Donzi! Nice job Reed

The brackets are looking like they will work.

I will be in touch

Conquistador_del_mar
07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I had to buy a 3' piece of stainless steel 5/8" x 13 threaded rod and 10 SS nuts to replace my old steel rod and nuts that broke (man, that sounds dirty after reading it) in my 1971. If anyone needs what is left over, I should have enough to at least replace the back lifting eye rod with something that won't corrode. Bill

The Hedgehog
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I had to buy a 3' piece of stainless steel 5/8" x 13 threaded rod and 10 SS nuts to replace my old steel rod and nuts that broke (man, that sounds dirty after reading it) in my 1971. If anyone needs what is left over, I should have enough to at least replace the back lifting eye rod with something that won't corrode. Bill

Please, please, please.

I was looking for that. I bought a standard just to do the mock up.

Let me know what you want for it. Shipping, money, site donations etc.

Also Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
07-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Please, please, please.

I was looking for that. I bought a standard just to do the mock up.

Let me know what you want for it. Shipping, money, site donations etc.

Also Bill

Bill,
You got it. Just give me a little time to figure out what I actually need. I think I will only be replacing the rear eye rod. You can email me directly at Dgill25960@aol.com. Bill

gcarter
07-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Just curious....is the body size, i.e., O.D. of the eye the same as on a 22 or Minx?
The reason I ask is on my 22 TR and on the Minx, the rod diameter is/was 3/4"'
I know the originals were made/cast up by Oldredalert's, and are occasionally available but are unplated. I can see where it wouldn't be an issue to bore the eyes either for a 5/8" thread or a 3/4" thread.
Anyway, when I rebuilt the Minx, I replaced the rusty steel threaded rod w/SST. Added a little bling.