PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 Thru Hull Exhaust Location?

AGUESS
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi, I am almost finished with the restoration of my 66 Classic 18.

Converting to thru hull exhaust.

Question. Can anyone who has a Classic 18, tell me the measurements of your thru hull exhaust ports/tips on the outside of the transom.

Distance up from the water line, and distance between the side of the boat and the outdrive. ie: 14 inch center - side to drive, and 4 inch up from water line.

I am having to install the manifolds & risers (aluminum nicon) reversed with the risers at the front and then an elbow back to install a muffler and still be able to have room for the hose to connect to the ports. I would have to do the same with cast iron manifolds, so I think I will go with the aluminum to reduce weight.

Thank you for your help. I just want to make sure that when i finish, it looks correct.

With Best Wishes,

Alex.

smokediver
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Lenny has a great diagram ... try doing a search ...

MOP
06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
The width measurement is easily measured side to side but due to varying X dimensions the height is another issue, one of the easiest ways I have found to locate the tips so there are no kinks in the hoses is as follows.
With the risers in place put a short section on hose on the riser, this is needed on most due to the water channels on the riser tips (headers are smooth no hose needed)take four pieces of wooden dowels long enough to reach the transom. Using a hose clamp to hold them in place on the exhaust outlet position them as straight as you can against the transom use a straight edge to mark center drill a pilot hole from the inside then use a 4-1/8" hole saw to finish up. 20 minutes of setup and your hose will be dead on!

AGUESS
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you. I have searched for Lenny's diagram without any luck.

Here is my problem.

1. If I put the manifolds on the standard way, there is not enough room between the riser and the transom to put a 12 inch muffler inline.

Ford 351 engine.

With Nicon manifolds, there is really no room.

With standard exhaust it almost makes it, but a little short.

2. So, if I reverse the manifolds, so the risers face the front of the engine compartment, then I can put a 90 elbow on the outlet and it gives me the entire lenght of the engine compartment to install the muffler and 3 inch hose before going through the transom.

This is on a 1966 Classic 18 barrelback.

Question. Can anyone give me the location of their thru hull tips on the outside of the transom.

How far above the water line and do you just center them between the side of the boat and the outdrive (Volvo SX)?

I don't want this to look wrong when I do it, and because I am setting up the exhaust this way, I can adjust the location of the tips so they are correct.

Any additional help is appreciated.

Thank you again.

AGuess

zedohsix
06-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Don't know if this helps, I ordered thru hull from corsa, they have given me the locations for the holes and are forming the system
:canada:

VetteLT193
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Thank you. I have searched for Lenny's diagram without any luck.
Here is my problem.
1. If I put the manifolds on the standard way, there is not enough room between the riser and the transom to put a 12 inch muffler inline.
Ford 351 engine.
With Nicon manifolds, there is really no room.
With standard exhaust it almost makes it, but a little short.
2. So, if I reverse the manifolds, so the risers face the front of the engine compartment, then I can put a 90 elbow on the outlet and it gives me the entire lenght of the engine compartment to install the muffler and 3 inch hose before going through the transom.
This is on a 1966 Classic 18 barrelback.
Question. Can anyone give me the location of their thru hull tips on the outside of the transom.
How far above the water line and do you just center them between the side of the boat and the outdrive (Volvo SX)?
I don't want this to look wrong when I do it, and because I am setting up the exhaust this way, I can adjust the location of the tips so they are correct.
Any additional help is appreciated.
Thank you again.
AGuess

can you post a picture?

MOP
06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Mario Langston has or had his manifolds reversed in his Corsican, there were some nice pics. I'll take a try at finding them.

Phil

MOP
06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35464

This may help with your thinking!

Phil

AGUESS
06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you. The pictures were great.

Yes, that is what I am doing with the manifolds reversed.

Looks like the ports are just outside the engine stringer, kind of inline with where the hoses would hit if mounted with the riser facing the back of the engine.

Outside picture looks like about 1 - 2 inch above the water line.

Anyone have measurements on a Classic 18?

Thanks again.

Alex.