PDA

View Full Version : Cell service?

MOP
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Thinking of dumping Verizon, it just seems no to do the job as well as it should. I get my voice mail late almost all of the time, when I say late it could be several days. Reception in my area is iffy in spots etc. Any and all input appreciated!

Phil

McGary911
06-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Phil, when I worked in NYC and lived at the Jersey shore, I felt my Sprint service was pretty good. It's one of the only services that worked inside my condo, which was important, as I wanted to lose my land line.

I know you don't work for a big company, but for people who do, check to see if you get a discount. I get 20% off my Sprint bill because of the company I work for. They don't really advertise it, so you have to ask.

MOP
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks, it is a bit of a pain deciding as most lock you in for at least 1 year most are 2 years.

mrfixxall
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Thinking of dumping Verizon, it just seems no to do the job as well as it should. I get my voice mail late almost all of the time, when I say late it could be several days. Reception in my area is iffy in spots etc. Any and all input appreciated!
Phil

Phil, i have verizon and sprint/nextel..they both work around the major city's but outside that they both stink..my g-friend has att-cingular and most of my friends also have att and t-mobile and get signal everywhere..ny next phone will be either of them..

cutwater
06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Phil - I have U.S. Cellular. I know they do not have retail stores in some locations, but they have great service pretty much everywhere I've been. I have a friend who has Verizon and we always compare who gets better reception wherever we go... let's just say I'm used to winning.

They also have free incoming calls, all calls free after 7pm, free calls anytime to other US Cellular customers, plus the usual nationwide calling yada, yada. Just a thought.

VetteLT193
06-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Phil - I have U.S. Cellular. I know they do not have retail stores in some locations, but they have great service pretty much everywhere I've been. I have a friend who has Verizon and we always compare who gets better reception wherever we go... let's just say I'm used to winning.

They also have free incoming calls, all calls free after 7pm, free calls anytime to other US Cellular customers, plus the usual nationwide calling yada, yada. Just a thought.

US Cellular was the best service I ever had. they pulled out of Tallahassee. The do biz (or at least they used to) by leasing out extra bandwidth from a few different cell companies. so you get the best coverage because if say AT&T has a closer tower than Verizon you hook up to the AT&T tower... if Verizon is closer you get that one...

penbroke
06-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I have good luck with Sprint around here. Others like Verizon. I would suggest you talk to people around where you will be using it and take their advice.

Frank

Trueser
06-10-2008, 09:21 AM
AT&T Cingular

show-n-go h2o
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I have'nt found anywhere that my verizon doesn't work. when i drove to cali from ohio i never dropped a call. even in the hills of Ky i can can make calls, i wish i couldn't most of the time so people couldn't bother me.

zelatore
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I have'nt found anywhere that my verizon doesn't work. when i drove to cali from ohio i never dropped a call. even in the hills of Ky i can can make calls, i wish i couldn't most of the time so people couldn't bother me.

That's because you haven't been to my house in (ahem) rural Walnut Grove, California.

I'm on Sprint. Not because it's the best, but because I get coveage at the house. My girlfriend is on Verizon because that's what her company uses. She's 50/50 at best at the house. A real PITA since she can work from home a lot of the time.

Of course, that doens't really help anybody make a decision about cell service in the north east, now does it? :doh:

fegettes
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I have Verizon and I travel and work all over the US, and it is rare that I will loose my signal, and I work in some remote locations. Two locations that I have found, Laughlin, NV and the ski slopes up at Bishop, CA, Verizon will not work at all at those locations. Like penbroke says, talk to people around where you will be using it and take their advice.

Tomorrow, I will go down to the BVI for a sailboat cruise and get to see how well it will work there in the islands.

Steve

MOP
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
My thoughts were to try T Mobile due to the world wide coverage, my only real complaint is the message center not getting missed calls to me right away. Thanks for all the replies I guess I will stick it out with Verizon for now and just keep using phone cards down in CR!

Phil

mjw930
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
You really need to ask around with people you know that live/work in the same areas you do because every carrier has pockets where their signal isn't the best. I have an at&t 3G phone and a Sprint Data Card and get 5 bar service at my house on both. My in-laws live 8 miles away and I get 1 bar on at&t (EDGE) and Sprint while they get 4 bars on Verizon (since Verizon put up a new tower in their area).

Another thing to remember, at&t and t-mobile are GSM (global coverage with 4 band phones). Sprint (non-Nextel) and Verizon are CDMA (US ONLY). Nextel is a hybrid system called iDEN which is more closely related to the old AMPS analog and the original TDMA digital service from the late '90's.

VetteLT193
06-11-2008, 11:45 AM
That's because you haven't been to my house in (ahem) rural Walnut Grove, California.
I'm on Sprint. Not because it's the best, but because I get coveage at the house. My girlfriend is on Verizon because that's what her company uses. She's 50/50 at best at the house. A real PITA since she can work from home a lot of the time.
Of course, that doens't really help anybody make a decision about cell service in the north east, now does it? :doh:

I live just outside Tallahassee, not rural by any means, and only a mile or so from I-10. My Verizon signal at my house is absolute crap but it is great everywhere else.

To make a phone call at home I walk to the end of my driveway and stand in a certain spot. I don't make calls when it is raining. :smash:

Barry Eller
06-13-2008, 07:02 AM
My wife works for AT&T. She has told me they are about to do some really big things with wireless communication in a few months. You might think about getting on board with them. We have our Dish Network TV, cellphones, land line, computer DSL service, all with AT&T. Of course as an employee, she has too! $$$ with employee discount, its a no brainer.

Big discounts for everyone when you package all of the above together in one bill.