PDA

View Full Version : Stainless marine crossover problems

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I just bought a used stainless marine crossover for my Minx. It doesn't fit... the power steering / alternator bracket is in the way on the right side.

Anyone else have a problem? it is close, but I'll have to pull the whole bracket and accessories in order to trim it down to get it to fit. The reason is they make the crossover so you can turn it upside down. the standard waterpump is shorter on the right side where the SM X over is symmetrical .

I could also trim the stainless piece... What do you think I should do, trim the X over or the bracket? I'll most likely be using a saws all with a hacksaw blade.

I am in no way am speaking down on Stainless Marine... this is a used product and stainless marine, when I've contacted them in the past, have gotten right back to me... I have not contacted them about this problem as it just occurred... and it's used.

gcarter
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe a good pic would help. Is the SM mounting flange larger than the one in the picture I posted earlier today?

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 09:45 PM
here is your pic. look at the right side of the crossover and you will notice the gasket is sticking out at the bottom. imagine that gasket turned upside down, so the long part is at the top. that is how my crossover is.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34764&d=1205500979

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
my X over is exactly like the one listed on Stainless marine's web site (t stat housing is different though).

The right side is an upside down mirror image of the left. the problem is the actual waterpump does not have the 'tab' on the right sticking up. it does have the tab on the left sticking down. if the tab on the right were gone, it would fit perfect.

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/images/fs954889664.jpg

gcarter
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to cut that off! Trim away.

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Would you trim the X over or the bracket? Consider that I have crappy metal cutting tools (saws all hack saw blade).

Thanks!

penbroke
06-06-2008, 09:55 PM

What he said...

Frank

gcarter
06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
SST is tough stuff and I usually go to the local fab/machine shop to get difficult stuff cut. After a rough cut is made, you can grind it to fit any way you want. The local shop here only charges $15-$20.00 minimum.

Madcow
06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I had that same problem on mine, just trimmed it of with a metabo, then polished it up, no big deal.

mrfixxall
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
go to homedepot and get yourself one of those 4 1/2''x 1/16 cutoff wheels for the baby grinder,,it will burn rite through it:wink: