PDA

View Full Version : Triple Hatch Barrel Back Serial Numbers

KDG
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello:

We've been looking for the serial numbers on our triple hatch. Looked behind the dash, beneath the forward deck, all round the ski locker area, at the bottom side of where the bow eye is bolted, all around this and beneath the bow inlcuding where the bow eye bolts through however, no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Donzi Vol
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Tell me about your triple! In resto? (seeing as how you're trying to find the serial number)

Donzi Racer
06-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Does it have the original drivetrain, or at least the decal with the serial numbers? We "might" be able to backtrack..

Does the original engine count or are we talking about the outdrive or gimble housing? If it is a triple with a 200 hp holman moody, would that mean a 200 volvo? The one we are redoing has the original motor, we think, but has a 270? volvo I believe. Anyone out there have the right outdrive for a triple hatch would love to hear about it.

Got a 1967 barrel back the other day that had an outdrive with a chrysler label on it. Had a holman moody engine. That sound right. Thanks Scott for any info you can share. Tom

penbroke
06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Does the original engine count or are we talking about the outdrive or gimble housing? If it is a triple with a 200 hp holman moody, would that mean a 200 volvo? The one we are redoing has the original motor, we think, but has a 270? volvo I believe. Anyone out there have the right outdrive for a triple hatch would love to hear about it.
Got a 1967 barrel back the other day that had an outdrive with a chrysler label on it. Had a holman moody engine. That sound right. Thanks Scott for any info you can share. Tom

My boat was built with an Eaton, Yale & Towne Interceptor power plant. This was a 2bbl. 289 Ford spinning a Volvo 200 sterndrive. The 270 didn't arrive till the 70's. The 200 transom shield does not have the additional support towers for the tilt pin. The pin is only supported on the ends. I am running the original 200 drive on a 270 transom shield which is a much beefier casting. The mid section of the 200 drive housing is different to accomodate the added pin support and uses a completely different reverse catch. The lower housing of the 200 also has the prop shaft closer to the anti ventilation plate reducing the max prop diameter. The new Solas props will just about scrape the paint of a 200 is it has been repainted.

I believe Chrysler sterndrives were re-badged Volvos. Chrysler and HM together sounds weird unless someone just changed the shift cover?

As far as the original question: I have heard some hull numbers have been found on the outside sides of the stringers under the kockpit sole.

Frank

KDG
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. The engine was changed out before I bought it 5 years ago. It still has the holman moody bell housing and I'll try and get some numbers from that later this weekend once home. The engine is now a rebuilt 351 windsor, weiand stealth intake with 600 edelbrock. The outdrive is a volvo 250. I need to find the missing pin for the tilt motor shaft which still needs to be installed and wired up. Any suggestgions where to get this pin and also how to wire would be welcome.

The hull is all yellow with a white center stripe. The waterline stripe was painted black over what appears to have been a white stripe. For now, I added a white tape stripe there. Interior was new 2 years ago via bilt rite and just used later last season.

I'll check the outside of the **** pit stringers via flash lite if possible.

Thanks,

Kurt