PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive pitting?

Jraysray
06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Has anyone else seen this on your outdrive? Appears to be some type of pitting or chipping.

gcarter
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, it needs a shower!!!!!

LOL :smash::eek!:

gcarter
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Not too unusual, particularly in salt water.

BUIZILLA
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
it's actually more rare to see a Bravo without it...

Jraysray
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
That was quick. I knew the drive shower comment would show up.:smash::smash:

Glad to hear it's no big deal.

joseph m. hahnl
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Alpha's use the hydraulic lines to bond the out drive. It has been pointed out that this is a poor method for bonding(grounding). Check the anodes if they are not corroding the bond may not be adequate.

You can have a field day pointing out all the things that cause it.
But only one thing can prevent it. Bonding.

gcarter
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Alpha's use the hydraulic lines to bond the out drive. It has been pointed out that this is a poor method for bonding(grounding). Check the anodes if they are not corroding the bond may not be adequate.

You can have a field day pointing out all the things that cause it.
But only one thing can prevent it. Bonding.
And a better finish than Merc provides which includes a good epoxy primer w/zink chromate in it.

DonziJon
06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Can't explain the pitts in the paint. Maybe a backdraft when driving down a dirt road with the trailer. Maybe a "tender" paint job on the drive. My wifes 2005 Camry seems to be sensitive to little dings...just like your drive pictures. My 2007 Taco seems to be much better resisting little dings. John :confused:

Jraysray
06-06-2008, 08:35 PM
And a better finish than Merc provides which includes a good epoxy primer w/zink chromate in it.

So would it be a big deal if I touched it up with a paint pen like the the ones they sell at walmart for rock dings?

Seems like a stupid question but I better ask. Oh yeah, the anodes are corroding rather well.

gcarter
06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Merc sells their paint in spray cans. It doesn't really matter if you touch it up.
But if you ever refinish it, there are ways to do it right, and it will hold up well.

joseph m. hahnl
06-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah, the anodes are corroding rather well.

You may have a discharge coming from your boat. especially if the anodes are corroding quickly. although the pitting looks minor it could be the start of more to come:eek!:.

Are you running in salt or fresh water?

Keep in mind that touching it up may only mask the problem and re-pitting may be inevitable:garfield:.If there is some type of electrolysis coming from the boat:shocking:.

DonziJon
06-07-2008, 12:59 PM
So would it be a big deal if I touched it up with a paint pen like the the ones they sell at walmart for rock dings?

Seems like a stupid question but I better ask. Oh yeah, the anodes are corroding rather well.

I think a paint pen would work. It's certainly easy. Are you leaving the boat in the water (salt/fresh?) overnight, say tied to a dock that has electric service on the dock? Maybe a pump house? If a dock is wired incorrectly, "stray currents" can chew up an outdrive in real short order if there is ANY bare aluminum.

Something else to consider. Hooking up a battery charger from shore power to the boat battery while hooked up to the boats electrical system is a definate NO NO.

The anodes for use in Salt water ARE NOT the same material as anodes used in Fresh water. Most boat yards don't know the difference. The West Marine catalog explains the difference.

Wiring on a dock is NOT as simple as adding an extra recepticle in your house. It requires "dock wiring" expertise. John

Jraysray
06-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I think a paint pen would work. It's certainly easy. Are you leaving the boat in the water (salt/fresh?) overnight, say tied to a dock that has electric service on the dock? Maybe a pump house? If a dock is wired incorrectly, "stray currents" can chew up an outdrive in real short order if there is ANY bare aluminum.

Something else to consider. Hooking up a battery charger from shore power to the boat battery while hooked up to the boats electrical system is a definate NO NO.

The anodes for use in Salt water ARE NOT the same material as anodes used in Fresh water. Most boat yards don't know the difference. The West Marine catalog explains the difference.

Wiring on a dock is NOT as simple as adding an extra recepticle in your house. It requires "dock wiring" expertise. John

Running in salt. Don't really know if the anodes are corroding quickly I just know thay are corroding.

Man, you guys amaze me, we went from outdrive pitting to wiring your boat house in 2.2 seconds. The level of expertise here is top notch. Thanks for the input!

Carl C
06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Merc sells their paint in spray cans. "Phantom Black". Touch it up and keep the zincs in good shape.

DonziJon
06-08-2008, 06:33 PM
If you are "Dry Sailing" your boat....launching off a trailer and retrieving the boat a couple of hours later..galvanic corrosion...outdrive pitting, is NOT your problem. Leaving the boat IN however....could be the problem. Salt water is the worst case for galvanic corrosion. The "warmer" the salt water, the worse the case. John

Planetwarmer
06-08-2008, 11:20 PM
YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!! Its wood peckers! Salty electric woodpeckers! Or piranhas!:shocking::shark::shocking:

Pismo
06-09-2008, 07:18 AM
It doesnt look like corrosion, it look like mechanical damage like sand flying up etc. Localized, elongated scratches. You can almost see the pattern.