PDA

View Full Version : MarinePower 454 TBI?

banfield
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm looking at maybe buying a 454 equipped with a MarinePower TBI fuel injection system. I don't know the year, but I'm guessing this thing is from about the early 90's. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they prone to breakdown? Do they get better fuel economy than a stock 454 with a carb? Do they plug in directly to a 454 carb'ed (~89 vintage) mercruiser wiring harness easily?
I need to repower, but budget is the most important issue. I'd also like something that starts reliably and runs well... I'm not interested in anything more than stock power. price, fuel economy and reliability are more important to me.
I now have a very tired 454 carbed mated to a bravo I pushing my 1983 Donzi Classic 22' (formerly PaulO's boat).
If anyone is willing to give me advice, I'm more than willing to listen. I can also provide more info on the potential new engine....
Thanks! Don Banfield
'83 22' classic
Cayuga Lake, NY

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
In my opinion TBI is on par with a properly setup carbed engine as far as performance and economy is concerned for a stock (or near stock) engine.

I don't know the specifics of the MarinePower setup. What does the engine include? does it need a high pressure pump? does it need a return line to the fuel tank?

Fuel injection is nice, but if I were in your shoes I'd stick with a well tuned carbed engine. If you are re powering go ahead and switch to an electric fuel pump. they make a big difference in cold starting.

MOP
06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Marine power uses premium 4 bolt main blocks like Crusader and a few others which is a plus. Though a bit more time consuming a rebuild of what you have may be more cost effective plus you will know just whats under the hatch, it has been said many times that a proper rebuild many times is better then new. As far as starting any properly setup engine fuelie or carb will start just fine