PDA

View Full Version : Show me your crossovers!

cutwater
06-06-2008, 08:26 AM
If you are using a water crossover, post pictures of your setup. I am trying to figure out an accessory bracket solution.

Also, if you have any info on where you got your brackets, that would help too.

John

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 08:40 AM
I happen to be planning on installing mine after work today. I'll take before and after pics for you.

My alternator is mounted low to the right of the engine. you should be able to pick up basic brackets from Jegs/Summit/etc.

cutwater
06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
My alternator is mounted low to the right of the engine. you should be able to pick up basic brackets from Jegs/Summit/etc.

I can't do low-starboard for the alternator because that's where my fuel filter is... and it's pretty permanent there :hangum:

The Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
SM has a nice unit. I think that they have pics on their site.

What are your main issues? I have stuff relocated all over the place.

cutwater
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
SM has a nice unit. I think that they have pics on their site.

What are your main issues? I have stuff relocated all over the place.

I already have the SM crossover unit. :wink:

Main issue: Fuel filter is lower-starboard and I'm not moving it. Also, water inlet hose is starboard entry as well. Sooo.....

I'm going to have to mount both on the Port side only, I guess... trying to find independent mount brackets.

The Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I already have the SM crossover unit. :wink:

Main issue: Fuel filter is lower-starboard and I'm not moving it. Also, water inlet hose is starboard entry as well. Sooo.....

I'm going to have to mount both on the Port side only, I guess... trying to find independent mount brackets.

All of my stuff is located in the wrong place for you.

Check out CP marine. They have a bunch of mounting brackets

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I can't do low-starboard for the alternator because that's where my fuel filter is... and it's pretty permanent there :hangum:

I think there is a standard (auto) alternator mount that would put it high port. but I could be thinking of something else...

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 10:10 AM
passenger side mid mount: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/50546/10002/-1

i have no idea what that means as far as exact placement is concerned. that unit is billet, but the standard ones I think are under $20.

cutwater
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
passenger side mid mount: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/50546/10002/-1

i have no idea what that means as far as exact placement is concerned. that unit is billet, but the standard ones I think are under $20.

Most of the mid-mount units are intended to use the water pump housing as the mounting point... which isn't good for me. Not sure about this one. Can you tell?

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Most of the mid-mount units are intended to use the water pump housing as the mounting point... which isn't good for me. Not sure about this one. Can you tell?

I think they use the pump housing, but the holes are the ones you'll use for the crossover. All you will need are 2 spacers the same thickness of the waterpump (or big stack of stainless washers for a quickie job)

maddad
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Stainless Marine crossover and low port side alt. mount.

cutwater
06-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Stainless Marine crossover and low port side alt. mount.

Nice. Where are you mounting the P/S pump?

maddad
06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Mine is an older Volvo drive that has internal hydraulic steering with no power assist. The alt. belt is the only belt.

BERTRAM BOY
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Here's a Stainless Marine crossover.

VetteLT193
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Can someone help me on the routing?

After I started tearing things down I realized something that was right in front of me the whole time but seemed perfectly normal all put together.

I have exhaust risers with water inlets... this means my Minx was a closed cooled boat at some point in its life. If I keep things as is, can I simply run a splitter on the exhaust ports and run to the manifold and the risers? This is basically how it was set up, except the "splitter" was the huge T-stat housing.

If that is a bad idea, can I block the riser ports off with something (suggestions on how to block them?) and change the gaskets to the raw water cooled setup?

I'd just buy new risers, but I'm on the prowl for a better exhaust system all together so I need a temporary fix until I find the new and better set.

erikshube
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's a Stainless Marine crossover.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but what a nice job on that motor!

BERTRAM BOY
06-07-2008, 05:09 AM
This has nothing to do with the thread, but what a nice job on that motor!

A pic of a crossover in a crossover thread......I must be missing something.

BERTRAM BOY
06-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Uh, no I didn't.

You are, errr, did....

Barry Eller
06-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Can someone help me on the routing?
After I started tearing things down I realized something that was right in front of me the whole time but seemed perfectly normal all put together.
I have exhaust risers with water inlets... this means my Minx was a closed cooled boat at some point in its life. If I keep things as is, can I simply run a splitter on the exhaust ports and run to the manifold and the risers? This is basically how it was set up, except the "splitter" was the huge T-stat housing.
If that is a bad idea, can I block the riser ports off with something (suggestions on how to block them?) and change the gaskets to the raw water cooled setup?
I'd just buy new risers, but I'm on the prowl for a better exhaust system all together so I need a temporary fix until I find the new and better set.

My crossover system is plumbed like this: water from the pump to power steering cooler, hose to oil cooler, hose to the large inlet on the crossover, bypass hose from crossover to t-stat housing, hoses from t-stat housing to left and right inlets on manifolds, short hoses from manifolds to risers. Now that I have Gil Dry exhaust, I have to go one step further with hoses from the back of the pipes to water dumps that I installed on the sides of the boat, starboard is parallel to the bilge dump.

I had to drill holes in my T-stat ring to keep from overheating. My T-stat is more of a restrictor plate now. My temps are approx 150*.

Barry Eller
06-07-2008, 08:21 AM
If you are using a water crossover, post pictures of your setup. I am trying to figure out an accessory bracket solution.

Also, if you have any info on where you got your brackets, that would help too.

John

I have a Revolution Marine power steering/alternator bracket. Mounts on the port side. When I installed the Gil Dry Offshore exhausts, I had to install a port side low mount bracket. I purchased it from Jegs. I'll try and get a photo of it this evening.

cutwater
06-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a Revolution Marine power steering/alternator bracket. Mounts on the port side. When I installed the Gil Dry Offshore exhausts, I had to install a port side low mount bracket. I purchased it from Jegs. I'll try and get a photo of it this evening.

Barry - those are what I need... except they only make them for BBC. :smash:

Barry Eller
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Barry - those are what I need... except they only make them for BBC. :smash:
Here are the photos I promised. Hard to get a good shot as the engine is back in the boat.:wink:
(I pull the engine to change oil now):doh:
I posted in your other thread a couple of links to P/S and Alt brackets from Jegs.

Madcow
06-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Here is what I did, Used the S.M. crossover, had to trim the starboard ear a little bit, but that seems to be a common issue. Used Merc P/S and altenator bracket. I have also included pictures of my plumbing.

cutwater
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
George, Madcow - What size v-belts did you end up needing after the removal of the circ pump? Also, does Merc spec a v-belt tension? I think I have found a bracket setup so I'm starting to gather parts.

VetteLT193
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
you can figure out the new belt size with a piece of string. There is a ton of adjustment in the merc alternator bracket so as long as you are close you should be ok.

cutwater
06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
you can figure out the new belt size with a piece of string. There is a ton of adjustment in the merc alternator bracket so as long as you are close you should be ok.

Yeah, I just don't have the brackets yet. I was going to go ahead and buy the belts so that when my parts get here I will have everything ready. It's the engineer in me... :wink:

VetteLT193
06-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I just don't have the brackets yet. I was going to go ahead and buy the belts so that when my parts get here I will have everything ready. It's the engineer in me... :wink:

I'm about to measure mine to buy. If no one else posts by tomorrow I'll post. My internet is still down at the house so I can't post tonight :smash:

gcarter
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Save yourself some headaches and don't buy the belts.....it's tha pi radius thingy!!!!!:doh:
You'll have to go back anyway, so just make one trip.

Madcow
06-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Save yourself some headaches and don't buy the belts.....it's tha pi radius thingy!!!!!:doh:
I agree, I had the pulleys and still had to make a second trip.:doh:

VetteLT193
06-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm about to measure mine to buy. If no one else posts by tomorrow I'll post. My internet is still down at the house so I can't post tonight :smash:

Sorry, I didn't have a chance to measure mine last night because of a house issue.

A bit off subject but:
I pulled up to my house last night after work and I noticed the shed doors were open. I can only see it for a second as I pull up to the house from the left side. My garage is on the right. I walked right out there hoping the doors had blown open and my riding lawn mower was still there and not stolen.

What I saw was the shed in pieces with a huge tree on top of it. Lucky for me the Town Car has been in for service so I had the rider in the garage so I could service it and wax it. I totally forgot I even had it in the garage because it's almost always in the shed :bonk: The doors I saw open from the street were actually the back doors.

Barry Eller
06-13-2008, 07:10 AM

Correct, I made 3 trips to the parts store to get the right alternator belt. I finally took masking tape and made a "template" of what I needed. I used string at first, but the string length was from inside the pulley, didn't leave me enough slack to place belt over the pulleys.

cutwater
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
A few low-res pics of the final setup... Worked like a charm :wink:. No more burned hoses. Again, thanks for all the help.