PDA

View Full Version : Dynolicious!

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 04:11 PM
I got back from the Dyno. We went down 1/8inch in pulley size and Eddie dialed in a couple of things.

The engine made 872 hp at 5,700 RPM with 8 lbs of boost. It pulled like a train to 6,100.

Eddie plans to use 5,500 as a max where the engine made 862 hp with 7 lbs of boost with 823 lbs of torque.

Peak torque of 870 lbs came at 4,900.

I will post sheets if I can figure out how to get them on my system.

Last Real Texan
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Sweeeeeeeeet. This is what your drive is going to say about it...:wrench::wrench:

CJmike
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
No video?

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 05:04 PM
No video?

Actually I do have one that I shot with my camera. I will upload it. I am not sure how it will come out. The whole dyno experience has been sort of tough. He got all of the vac pulls done and then it really started acting up. Then there was lot's of head scratching and bam it all came together.

Watching the dyno pull was an interesting experience to me. On the last pull they warmed it up, Eddie adjusted a few things on the computer, then gave Marc (the throttle operator) the nod and then it all happened. The engine and blower noise combo was pretty spectacular.

CJmike
06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Yep lots of fun at the dyno when stuff goes your way. Pretty impressive numbers. Should be a fun ride when you get it set in its new home.

blackhawk
06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I got back from the Dyno. We went down 1/8inch in pulley size and Eddie dialed in a couple of things.
The engine made 872 hp at 5,700 RPM with 8 lbs of boost. It pulled like a train to 6,100.
Eddie plans to use 5,500 as a max where the engine made 862 hp with 7 lbs of boost with 823 lbs of torque.
Peak torque of 870 lbs came at 4,900.
I will post sheets if I can figure out how to get them on my system.

NICE!!! :propeller:

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Yep lots of fun at the dyno when stuff goes your way. Pretty impressive numbers. Should be a fun ride when you get it set in its new home.

I figure that you have had an engine or two on one!

mrfixxall
06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
No video?

Come on!!! the hedgehog has plenty of videos and been in some too!:biggrin:

Hey hedge nice numbers,im thinking you should stuff it in the x :)

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Come on!!! the hedgehog has plenty of videos and been in some too!:biggrin:
Hey hedge nice numbers,im thinking you should stuff it in the x :)

Ahh, those videos. Hmm, well they took down the uncensored section! There are some impressive pulls of those videos too:hangum:

The X....now that would be something else! After watching that torque on the dyno, I could not imagine trying to keep that thing straight in the X!

Actually we are considering Tex's future Boston Whaler with a set of 60 inch tabs:shocking:

DonziJon
06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
OK..OK..OK..OK.......BUT.. is this thing going to have a Drive Shower??? Us regular guys need to KNOW. :smash: John :hangum:

PS: I figure I got 235 horse at the prop...??

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
OK..OK..OK..OK.......BUT.. is this thing going to have a Drive Shower??? Us regular guys need to KNOW. :smash: John :hangum:
PS: I figure I got 235 horse at the prop...??

A drive shower? No way, those rob too much speed. So do Bravo Drives! and an XR...well forget it.

I am going with an Alpha!:nilly:

samjannarone
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Hedgehog,
Nice work! With a wild motor like that, what do you think--a cyborg transmission and a #6 speedmaster? Gonna be a fun summer.:boat::toiletpap:toiletpap

ITTLFLI
06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Congrats! Nice numbers! :shocking::beer:

:rock:

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Hedgehog,
Nice work! With a wild motor like that, what do you think--a cyborg transmission and a #6 speedmaster? Gonna be a fun summer.:boat::toiletpap:toiletpap

I will have enough power on tap to smash that XR:hangum:

Eddie is going through the drive and installing a billet top cap. I an running an IMCO lower with the 1.25" shaft. He has a customer with a 28 Nordic Heat and his 925 (that dynos over 1,000 hp). The Nordic has over 50 hours on the drive setup. That being said, he grenaded a IMCO SC at the Lake Cumberland poker run at 90 mph. I think that one had been rebuilt a couple of times.

mrfixxall
06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Hedgehog,

Hmmm hey hedge i have almost every thing on the inside for a ssm #4 forsale!

blackhawk
06-06-2008, 12:16 AM
A drive shower? No way, those rob too much speed. So do Bravo Drives! and an XR...well forget it.
I am going with an Alpha!:nilly:

I agree Alpha is the way to go for max speed! :propeller:

osur866
06-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Very nice numbers Bill :thewave:, when's the first outing? Steve

The Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Hmmm hey hedge i have almost every thing on the inside for a ssm #4 forsale!

That might make too much sense. I got to break that new drive that I have to learn my lesson first.

The Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Very nice numbers Bill :thewave:, when's the first outing? Steve

Very soon.

I got things going in left and right now.

The Hedgehog
06-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Here is the dyno sheet. I have a whole myriad of them. The engine continued to make power. Lots of cam

BigGrizzly
06-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Nice numbers, hope the durability is as good. We have several 900 and 1100 with the IMCO extreme, that are holding up well-even with one particular driver.

BUIZILLA
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
not to take anything away from what you've accomplished, please don't misunderstand me, but in the end, IMO, I think you've got about 16-20* too much bumpstick...

The Hedgehog
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice numbers, hope the durability is as good. We have several 900 and 1100 with the IMCO extreme, that are holding up well-even with one particular driver.

That is good to know.

I look forward to trying that LH prop on the 18. Keep me posted

The Hedgehog
06-07-2008, 10:48 AM
not to take anything away from what you've accomplished, please don't misunderstand me, but in the end, IMO, I think you've got about 16-20* too much bumpstick...

I am not sure about how much too much but it probably does. Eddie said the same it had too much cam too. He was concerned about the intake when he got started so he overcompensated.

BUIZILLA
06-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I think your going to find your torque curve is about 700-800 rpm too happy... your still making climbing power at 5700... but nonetheless, I like your assertiveness, and end result..

The Hedgehog
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I think your going to find your torque curve is about 700-800 rpm too happy... your still making climbing power at 5700... but nonetheless, I like your assertiveness, and end result..

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I agree with your comment on the torque too. It will still have plenty of torque at the higher end to get me where I want to be. It has been a learning experience for all involved. I have learned a whole bunch but still have plenty of more learning ahead.

Eddie builds a number of proven combos with Whipple blowers. It is easy to stay with what works. He took this project to do something different and save some money with parts I already had. A few lessons have been learned along the way. It has not been cheap by any means.

In the end I am very pleased with the results.

BigGrizzly
06-08-2008, 09:38 AM
I have built several engines that were experiments that shouldn't have worked and ended up being just what the doctor ordered. The end result is the combination that matches the application!! I tend to lean towards drive ability on my stuff. As Garry says "If you can't drive it you can't race it. I have seen him spend hours getting hot motors to be what Johnny call pit drivable engines. Years ago you couldn't get much more than 500 HP out of a 454. Now they do it and it passes emissions. All this because someone violated the norm and pushed the envelope to the end.