PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn down the volume

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Evidentally a Procharged 540 with big heads, a sizeable cam and big injectors does not like to be detuned. So far my engine seems to like boost to stay happy. More blower wheels are on the way. It seems to fall on its face once the RPM's climb. It hits around 4,800 RPM and the boost is actually going down as it really begins to flow. It is only making high 3's in boost. Kind of an odd phenomon (or however you spell it) in centrifigal blown engines. It has been mentioned that a M-3 might not be enough blower for this combo. I am finding that hard to believe since a number of others are using that blower on 850+ hp engines. We will be trying the 3.85 and 3.7 inch pulley's in the am. Still plenty of room to spin it harder.

Anyone else heard of this? I know that Keith's Gorilla setup was not happy unless it was making power. Anyone know how this is working out?

I do know that large whipple blown motors are not happy when boost is lowered due to fuel/air dispersion in the big pleneum.

LKSD
06-05-2008, 06:11 AM
I have seen this on occassion. It seems your new set up flows much more efficently than the old, I am guessing that the cam is a custom grind that is quite a bit different fromt the OE one as well.. A bigger pulley genrally does the trick. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 08:13 AM
I have seen this on occassion. It seems your new set up flows much more efficently than the old, I am guessing that the cam is a custom grind that is quite a bit different fromt the OE one as well.. A bigger pulley genrally does the trick. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Yes, custom grind. I went down a few sizes. It was not enough. I should know more today.

How is yours going?

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Mas blower required..
Your current setup is outflowing the M3 in it's current reincarnation :) :)
Ever consider a quad-rotor? :eek: :eek:

Heck, if I had not spent a bunch of money doing the runners, polishing the pleneum and blower setup, I would have scrapped the M-3 for a whipple by now!

The M-3 should flow this. It just needs more overdrive.

At least that is what I am hoping:crossfing:

Oh yeah. I meant for this to be in the technical section

MOP
06-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Looks like that Pony is going to have a little more ride then first thought:checkered::checkered:

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Looks like that Pony is going to have a little more ride then first thought:checkered::checkered:

It has made up to 740 hp before running out of air:eek!:

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
At what RPM's?
My concern all along has been the setup seems to be geared more towards high RPM power..

Just north of 5,000.

I believe that he is shooting for a peak around 5,500. It seems to be the difficulty is that the flow requirements of the engine and the boost increase rate on the blower (both non-linear) are not moving in a parallel fashion (not that it was expected to do that exactly). Eddie's larger motors are whipple motors so this is making him scratch his head. The base calibration was tailored for a 900hp centrifugal blower. All of the lower end work has been recalibrated but once the boost comes on it has been tough.

According to ATI, the blower is good for 925 hp.

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Peak @ 55+ is going to be hell on the drive. What does Imco reccomend for their max RPM?
"If" it was mine, I'd be shooting for a peak @ 45-48, max RPM's of 55. That way you in the bottom of the fat part of the torque range when cruising... However, your past that now, lets see what the new pulley's do. Hopefully they put you in that powerband range, and the dinosaurs begin to cringe eveytime you fire that thing up :) :)

Some folks run them to 6,000. Conventional wisdom seems to be consistent with your comments.

Dyno results posted in tech section