PDA

View Full Version : Engine specs

kenny ellis
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a '85 18 Classic with 350/300hp and Alpha one out drive.
I was wanting to do some engine upgrades. My eng. builder was asking if
I had any specs on the engine, heads, cam ect.
Do any of you have any of this info?
Any help would be appretiated.

chappy
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
If it's the 350 mag mpi, this may help.....

http://www.boattest.com/engines/108/overview.aspx

MOP
06-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Do you know what year is the engine? A 300 was not stock, they had some with 260's and some with 270's. I am pretty sure none came with a 300, check to see if the Merc tag is still on the valve cover if so get the numbers.

Phil

kenny ellis
06-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys,
The platic cover over the breather reads
Merctuiser
Hi Performance Products
Tempest
It's a carburated motor
and I was told it was the original '85.
I'll try to get some numbers.

DonziJon
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
The 300 Tempest was an Option on the Minx. I missed one a year before I found my current 260 Minx. Nobody wants to pay the "asking price", so I went back to the boatyard 24 hours later with a lower offer. I never got a chance to make the offer. The boat was gone. The boat was perfect and looked just like MinxGuys Minx. I screwed up. :doh: John

BTW: I Paid the "asking price" for my 260 Minx without hesitation. :wink:

Lesson: If it's want you want....pay a little extra, and you own it.

Cuda
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
The 300 Tempest was an Option on the Minx. I missed one a year before I found my current 260 Minx. Nobody wants to pay the "asking price", so I went back to the boatyard 24 hours later with a lower offer. I never got a chance to make the offer. The boat was gone. The boat was perfect and looked just like MinxGuys Minx. I screwed up. :doh: John
BTW: I Paid the "asking price" for my 260 Minx without hesitation. :wink:
Lesson: If it's want you want....pay a little extra, and you own it.
You beat me to it. The 300 horse Tempest was an option in the Minx. The one I had, was originally a 320 horse EFI, which has all the exact same internals of the 300 Tempest.

Cuda
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a '85 18 Classic with 350/300hp and Alpha one out drive.
I was wanting to do some engine upgrades. My eng. builder was asking if
I had any specs on the engine, heads, cam ect.
Do any of you have any of this info?
Any help would be appretiated.
If it's still running good, keep the mechanic's hands out of it!

MOP
06-05-2008, 02:27 PM
My 22 had a Tempest in it when I bought it, it is a real good engine. Forged steel crank and rods, forged pistons, 4 bolt mains! And guess what I have 6 pages of factory specs, that engine is 300 HP at the prop I figure 330-340 at the crank. Mine would push my 22 to just shy 62 GPS, I would guess it would get you well into the upper 60's maybe even touch the 70's setup right. I sold mine and at times wished I had kept it for another project, the performance was very well rounded and pretty cheap to run plus an awesome sounding cam. I agree with the statement above don't let anyone fool with unless it is worn out, even then get a real good reco on who may work on it.

Phil

P.S. shot me a PM with a fax number I will send you the specs.

Cuda
06-05-2008, 05:30 PM
My 22 had a Tempest in it when I bought it, it is a real good engine. Forged steel crank and rods, forged pistons, 4 bolt mains! And guess what I have 6 pages of factory specs, that engine is 300 HP at the prop I figure 330-340 at the crank. Mine would push my 22 to just shy 62 GPS, I would guess it would get you well into the upper 60's maybe even touch the 70's setup right. I sold mine and at times wished I had kept it for another project, the performance was very well rounded and pretty cheap to run plus an awesome sounding cam. I agree with the statement above don't let anyone fool with unless it is worn out, even then get a real good reco on who may work on it.
Phil
P.S. shot me a PM with a fax number I will send you the specs.
Yep, that's what I found when I took the longblock apart.